Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with MFJ??  (Read 13765 times)
K2LRV

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:39:39 AM »

Anyone else have problems with MFJ refunding them money.

I recently ordered 2 replacement microphones.  Receive notice that they were backordered for 2-4 weeks, so I canceled the order, received confirmation that the order was canceled.  The same day I canceled my order I ordered replacements from another company.  Well the next day I get an e-mail from MFJ stating my order shipped.  So I e-mail MFJ wondering why my CANCELED order was shipped and they stated it was a mix up on their end and to just refuse the shipment and I will get credited back the amount of my order.  Well Last Friday I received a refund, but not the full amount.  I immediately sent an e-mail to them because it was after hours about the problem.  As of today I have heard nothing...  I suspect the amount I did not get refunded was for shipping charges...  Looks like they are getting a phone call today...
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:08:29 AM »

" I suspect the amount I did not get refunded was for shipping charges... "

Screwed out of shipping charges ... on two microphones ...for a week!

Trillions lost in Wall Street, banking, real estate... and now your shipping refund is delayed a week!
K2LRV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 07:25:36 AM »

What does Wallstreet have to do with my refund...  

N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 07:32:56 AM »

I've never ordered anything directly from MFJ, rather purchased their products through authorized retailers.  I have called their tech support line and was told to "give me your name and number and I'll have a technician return your call".  Nearly a year later and I'm still waiting on that call.  Maybe this is part of the "One year no matter what MFJ warranty" where, no matter what, they don't return phone calls for one full year from date of purchase.  I hope you have better luck getting a response from their ordering department than I had from their tech support.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »

"What does Wallstreet have to do with my refund..."

-------------------
Your gripe is certainly among the most trivial and premature I've seen publicly posted. How much shipping cost are you talking about, $7, $8, $10?  And you're talking only about a brief delay in getting that refunded.

Most likely MFJ simply screwed up... twice. It happens to the best and most honest firms. That's going to cost THEM a significant amount. They're going to eat the shipping charges BOTH ways.

------------------
"Looks like they are getting a phone call today..."

Yep, do that, find out the full story, and THEN  attack them online if you think that's appropriate.

K2LRV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »

Your gripe is certainly among the most trivial and premature I've seen publicly posted. How much shipping cost are you talking about, $7, $8, $10? And you're talking only about a brief delay in getting that refunded.

Most likely MFJ simply screwed up... twice. It happens to the best and most honest firms. That's going to cost THEM a significant amount. They're going to eat the shipping charges BOTH ways.

-----------------------------------------

Ok well technically I placed the order on 9/3, got the notice of backorder on 9/4. Canceled order on 9/5, received notice that the canceled order shipped on 9/6 then denied the shipment on 9/10.  I received my "partial" refund 9/26.  Sure they screwed up, and sure it's only $14, but that is not the point.  I am 1 week from it being a month since I canceled the order. If you call that OK in today’s market place then you opinion is just that your opinion.  Amazing how fast they charge/take your money, but when it comes to getting it back they are not the fastest as far as I can tell.

I have made hundred of purchase by phone and through the internet, and whenever a return/refund was needed it always occurred in a prompt and timely manner.

I don't care how much it cost them in shipping.  Bottom line is they screwed up and should eat the cost of their mistake.  I followed their procedure for canceling the order.

Last I do not think I was bashing MFJ, just curious if anyone else experienced this.  I hope this is an isolated occurrence.

Last... If my post is so trivial then why respond...  give it a rest... go troll some other thread...
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »

Sounds like a legitimate gripe, albeit pretty small potatoes.

My experience with MFJ is they are a developer/manufacturer and that's their expertise.  Anything they sell "direct from the factory" costs more than buying the same item from a distributor, and their pricing strategy has been that way for many years, to protect their distributors who handle the vast majority of their business.

As such, I don't order any MFJ item from the factory.  If HRO or AES or somebody doesn't have it, I don't buy it.  If they do have it, I'll buy it from one of them and be guaranteed to save about 10% on the price, compared with buying it from the factory.

Also, if one of the distributors doesn't have it, that usually means the factory doesn't, either, since almost everything they build gets shipped into the distribution channel immediately.

WB2WIK/6
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 12:01:08 PM »

"Last... If my post is so trivial then why respond.."

A company's reputation isn't trivial especially nowadays. Why haven't you phoned them before  resorting to a public posting?

--
"Sounds like a legitimate gripe, albeit pretty small potatoes."

Like a nibble on a stale french fry. Do you think for a second that MFJ intends to rip him off for $14?  

That matter aside, how much money can be made today selling ham stuff? The way things are going, the only ham source in two years may be eBay!
K2LRV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 12:27:05 PM »

I never said they would not refund me the money, just asking if this has happened to anybody else... I was not bashing them... I never knew asking anyone if they had had problems would be an issue...  I will be sure to post nothing be BLAZING reviews on here from now on...

BTW...  just got off the phone with them... said I will get the remainder of my money...
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 01:19:01 PM »

I had a similar experience to what you describe. I ordered an item which was unavailable from the dozen MFJ distributors I called but was available from the factory. (A very typical situation with new items MFJ introduces.) Within an hour of ordering it, I called back and cancelled the order with the same person who had taken the order an hour earlier.

Well, the item got shipped anyway. After the factory realized what they had done, they called me and advised me to reject the shipment -- which I did. But it took awhile to get everything resolved moneywise. They don't do e-mail very well. Phone calls work better to get situations resolved -- which they did to my satisfaction but it took awhile. All of it could have been avoided if they had cancelled the order as I asked.

73, N4KZ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 10:09:51 AM »

My company had once thought of delaying product shipments for a day to give people a chance to change their mind. We've had a tiny number of customers get mad when we shipped TOO FAST. But our experience is that far fewer than 1% cancel or alter an order, even when the product is back ordered.

---
I was waiting for WA8MEA to chime in on this tread:
"No wonder ***everybody*** is moving their business overseas...."  

AIG was a leader in doing that (mostly to Bermuda). You can probably get a tax credit for moving your operation to Iceland now and a nifty TF call in time for the CQWW.

Tell customers you only accept gold bullion or fish in payment.

N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »

My recent experience has been nothing short of FANTASTIC!
I bought a damaged MFJ-784 DSP Audio Filter (non-B) off of eBay. The seller stated the damage:
one broken knob
one broken pot
front panel dented (aluminum)

I called MFJ and spoke to a very friendly chap by the name of Jimmy. I was concerned about the cost of the above components, especially a new front panel.

Well, to make a long story short, the total for:
two knobs (one had a scratch)
new 10K pot
new front panel (now made of steel!)

Including shipping was $11.05! When I explained to Jimmy, I do NOT use a Credit Card, he said " no problem, I'll mail today, just send a check".....

I called MFJ Tue afternoon and the parts were in the Post Office Thursday morning!!!

I cannot see how they could possibly provide service ANY better than that!

I also feel that I am a 'lucky' ham. I have 3 tuners, a 259B, a Voice Keyer, and about a dozen smaller items.
I have NEVER, EVER had one problem. Lucky?

ron
N4UE
WA6MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »

MFJ has to have the poorest Quality Control of any company around.  I have heard story after story of how people get a supposedly new unit only to find missing parts, bad solder joints, components rolling around inside the units.  Having worked for Electronic manufacturing companies for the past 40 years, I know these problems can be cured by a good QC dept.  Items should be tested prior to shipping, and then re-checked just to make sure.

But MFJ's poor quality has been a BOOM to me many times.
I have come across Ham's selling defunct MFJ products they can't get to work.  Most recently was a large dual needle wattmeter that MFJ sells for about $150!  The swapmeet seller showed me the unit and the needles were stuck.  Looked Hopeless!   He wanted $20 for it, but I wound up taking it home for $5.  

At work, I took the MFJ apart and took the meter case off.  Carefully, the needles were re-bent with a tweezers so that they would move without hitting the other.  It was quite tedious, but still only took a few minutes to complete.  After I inspected the rest of the unit, touching up solder joints as necessary, I put it back together and it worked perfectly!  So, a $150 wattmeter for $5?  WHATADEAL!!!

I did the same thing with a MFJ tuner.  NO WORKIE, I FIXED IT, and now it is in perfect condx.

So, while it is most unfortunate for Hams to get MFJ stuff that doesn't work, its great for those of us who CAN FIX it!
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »

I agree with WA6MHZ. You can find a lot of POS MFJ stuff at flea markets for peanuts. Most of the time I don't fix it though, I use the enclosures for homebre prpjects. You priced good enclosures lately? Yeah, the holes and opening might not exactly line up the way you want, but I can love with that.
KB3DVS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »

I have a technical problem with MFJ gear that ruined other ham gear of mine and I can't even get them to refund me the repair costs.

I purchased a Mirage BD-35 RF amp for HT's that I found was not working properly. I couldn't get it to light up and amplify, though power seemed to be working fine.

Sent to MFJ, they repaired it. This means $2.04 in parts (a capacitor and a trimmer cap) and a $62 bill.

I got it back and tried to use it again, connecting it to one HT (an older Icom Z1A that I loved) I could hit the local repeater on key up and the amplify light glowed bright on the BD-35. Tried to key up a second time and it wouldn't work. HT indicated full output power but it wasn't tripping the BD-35 into amplify.

Put a meter on the HT and the output power had been reduced to about half a watt, on high power. Low power barely moved the needle on the RF meter.

Thinking this was odd, I dug out my trusty Yaesu VX-5R. I can sometimes hit repeaters with this by itself, so adding the amp should make this a cakewalk.

First key up was solid. Then I couldn't get the radio to light up the amplify light on the BD-35. Fearing the worst, I connected my HT to the meter and saw the output had been terminated just like on the Z1A. I was furious.

The repaired amp had ruined two good HT's.

I called MFJ. They said send it back in,
I wanted a refund on my repair because they had clearly not troubleshooted this amp properly and it ruined my gear. Moreover, I couldn't ever see myself hooking anything else up to the BD-35 for rear of it ruining that gear too.

I spoke with Bob Ellis, in Service, several times over weeks, to no satisfaction. He said to send a letter to MFJ president Martin Jue, which I did, and never received a reply. I called Mr. Jue's office and was handed off to Richard Stubbs, in Customer Service, who flat out told me that he told Bob to take of this. They would do nothing but send my amp back to me. I tried to explain that the repair I paid for was bad, that I wanted my money back– but as I was speaking, Mr. Stubbs said that he would send my amp back, goodbye, and he hung up on me while I was speaking.

I called back and left a message on Martin Jue's voice mail but after several days it has had the same zero response as the letter I wrote him. I've since received the amp back, and the service note says it was tested and required no repair.

I don't want the amp. I have no more HT's to even try and amplify. The two I have don't produce enough RF to make the amp work. I wanted my repair money back. I wanted them to take back the amp. They did neither.

So I ask, is this typical of MFJ? Am I wholly screwed here- paying them for a repair that was not done properly, ruined gear, and now holding the amp that I refuse to allow to possibly ruin more of my gear?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: