Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grounding for vertical antenna  (Read 631 times)
VOODOO42

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:44:35 AM »

I was wondering what the best way to ground an antron antenna might be. Do you simply run a ground wire #6 or #4 from the antenna base down the full length of the tower or do you use a jumper wire from the antenna mast to the tower and then ground each leg of the tower with seperate rods connected together? Also should the coax wire be seperatly grounded or is the fact that the antenna mast is grounded enough? I know that I need a lightning arrestor at the Shack entrance a with ground rod.

Thanks
Voodoo42
KJ4IYL
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:34:19 PM »

Given that the ground is only for lightning protection, I'd just bond the antenna mount to the tower. The tower should be connected to ground rods regardless of whether it has an antenna on it or not. The coax should be bonded to the tower very near the ground. You also want to ground the coax near the ground, just before it enters the house (also a good place for the surge protector).
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:49:18 AM »

I agree.

As long as your mast and tower are steel or aluminum, No other ground wire would be needed (Except at the base of the tower to your ground rod system)

Only if you were mounting the antenna on a wood pole or other non conductor would a ground wire be needed from the antenna to the ground.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:41:34 AM »

Read here:

http://www.polyphaser.com/technical_notes.aspx

All the free information you'd ever want on Antenna and Tower Grounding.  Yes, I've been harping on this for a couple of days in various forums.  Good information is meant to be shared.  Lightening season is coming up again.

FWIW, I discovered this info (and soaked it up) because I'm putting up a new tower at a new QTH soon.  Not associated with PolyPhaser.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:23:01 AM »

More good lightning protection reading info:

http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: