Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antron-99 for 10 meter?????  (Read 2233 times)
VOODOO42

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »

Well I passed my Tech....going next week to try for general. I have several Amateur friends doing the 10 meter band and are going to loan me a radio and give me an Antron-99. I know that is not the best antenna by far but it is free and is supposed to work for the 10. Do I really need to bother with the ground kit or is that a waste of time. So many dealers and various web sites have different opinions. I plan to get the antenna up about 40 feet to the bottom. I don't mind buying the kit if it will actually do some good. Any help would be appreciated. Later on I'll get into a multi-band radio and some type of better antenna system but just ain't got the funds at the moment.

Thanks,
KJ4IYL
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »

Congrats!

I wouldn't bother with the ground kit for the A99... it'll work OK as is and I wouldn't put much more money into it.  10m is kinda dead now, but when it opens up in the summer via Sporadic E, signals will be quite loud and your A99 up 40 feet will work fine.

The next antenna I'd actually put up for 10m is something like a horizontal *rotatable* dipole on a small, cheap antenna rotator or even a small beam.

A Moxon is a pretty easy antenna to make, and you can do it pretty cheaply:

http://moxonantennaproject.com/

I used a simple ground plane antenna on 10m for a while... and something else too, maybe some longwire back in late 1995/early 1996 when I just got my Tech+.  I worked some South American stations, a small handful of EU guys and a lot of guys around the U.S.

But eventually, I built a little two element yagi out of some aluminum my dad had lying around the barn and man, was than an eye opener.  I put it up on 20 feet of Radio Shack mast with a Radio Shack rotator just as 10m was starting to open up a little more and I felt like king of the band with that thing.

But even a rotatable dipole will probably do better for weak DX stations than the A99.  

It's good to have both, especially if your local friends are using verticals.  For local communications, you need to match polarization with your friends, so if they're running a vertical, you need to as well.  But for stuff that comes in via the ionosphere, you can use either a vertical or a horizontal but high horizontals tend to work a bit better in my experience.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:36:02 AM »

I agree.     Ten meters is really dead right now, And it is going to be a few years more before it really gets going again (We all hope it will at least)

If you meant by "ground" the A-99 radial kit, I agree that you can just as well get by without it. Its slight improvement in performance does not justify its cost.  At least not new.  Check swapfests for such things used lots cheaper.
However, You should run a ground wire to your mast for a lightning ground...........

Congratulations on the license!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »

Congrats, and glad to hear you have some local 10m chit-chat activity.

I wish there were more of that, in these "doldrums" days of no (or nearly no) propagation.  If everyone would just get on ten meters at the same time to use it for a local chatting band (instead of 2m or whatever), it would sound pretty active!

WB2WIK/6
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:39 AM »

You can make radials (ground plane) for next to nothing with some 1/4" aluminum tube stock. Repeat after me: All verticals work MUCH better with a radial field (ground plane). Have fun.

73 de Lindy
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »

Ten meters is rather dead right now. However, I had my rig on for the whole month of December and the band opened up pretty good around Christmas weekend. It opened again last night for about an hour and I worked about 15 stations. Right now, you almost must leave your rig on 24/7 to catch the sporadic E openings!
KC8RCF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »

i have had an A99 in the air for something like 15 years. i ran one with out a ground plane for some time but got one from a friend for free and never looked back. in 2003 a sand storm in iraq slammed the antenna into the tarmat and broke two radials and i noticed a diff the moment i put it back up. so i made replacements. i worked the world over on the A99 with about 35 watts in 2003. in 2005 i returned to iraq and then to afgan in 2006 with the A99 in tow. the 10 meter band really died in 2005 but i still got a few contacts with it. AND, its the only antenna to make it threw the mail or military convoy that did not show up destroyed. i still have it today here in wyoming even after i dropped it from 35 feet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: