Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on squealing Fulton K1500 winch  (Read 490 times)
N3ZC

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »

My tower (a Tashjian), uses a Fulton K1500 as a raising / lowering and a "tilt-over" winch (one for each). When I tilt it over..it squeals really bad & get's really hard to turn when I'm tilting it over..after I get to about the 45 deg tilted-over point is when it start's. I think this is sorta "par for the course" for these winches from what I heard...I just have a small tower (37 ft w/10 ft mast & only an A3S just 2 ft above the tower). I can imagine how it must be for the larger towers (squeal, etc)?

Can anyone offer any advice as to things I can do (not do) about this?..It sorta make's me not want to tilt it over..Any advice appreciated!

73'..  Tom  N3ZC
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:17:37 PM »

I use the K1500 to raise/lower my HyGain 52SS tower and it will "squeal" as well....I've found that simply lubricating the parts that rotate with 30W motor oil from an eye dropper does away with just about all of the noise.  Note -- keep that stuff away from the brake pads!  A little auto grease on the geared wheel helps as well.  I also keep the winch covered from the elements to minimize deterioration.

I usually do the lube thing every time she goes up and down as it seems to dry up pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.

Dino KL0S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: