Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Store Websites are Terrible  (Read 13769 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:09:34 AM »

Among other businesses, I run a fairly successful non-ham commercial website. "Under the hood," our site is simple. But its store front is professional-looking, achieving a key chore of any commerce site... It makes us look like a reliable place to spend money.

Since the birth of the web, its been a rule that ham ecommerce sites are nearly universally ugly and amateurish in functionality. Most are a garish mixture of multicolored text and disorganized product logos and grahics. Very often copyright dates are years old, making some customers wonder whether the seller is still in business.

Ham Radio Outlet, a well regarded vendor. states they have $8 million in inventory. However their site looks like the product of a color blind teenager in 1995. Text is blue, black, red and green. Some is highlighted in yellow!
http://www.hamradio.com/

There are worse sites. One venerable Indiana ham store offers mostly dead links. Click their BBB logo and you get a "Page not found" message. That's confidence inspiring!

Tip: If your store is dwarfed by the barbershop next door, don't show a picture of it.
http://www.philshamradiostore.com/images/InitialSet/PHRS.jpg

I'm currently shopping for a $4,000 piece of equipment. In the current economy, trust will play a big role in my selection of a vendor. But it's hard to feel confident in any of the ham sites I've seen.  
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »

Good point. That's why I buy from DX Engineering.

Rick N6NKN
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 12:30:42 PM »

I never cease to be amazed at the things some hams can find to complain about.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K6RF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »

Well said Lon !
HFRF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »

I can't believe how much work people do writing long responses to meaningless posts.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 07:02:01 PM »

"Good point. That's why I buy from DX Engineering"

--
Me too. I've made several purchases from them lately. DX Engineering operates like a real business. I'm sure they're whomping some of the remaining mom and pops.

And yes, they have an attractive and functional website that's chock full of info.  
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »

Lets see....2 contracts in nine years. For a total of $9032. Both contracts in 2006.

BFD!!!

Rick N6NKN
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »

Does that also mean that you only purchase from companies who run a full page 4-color ad in QST every month? It seems to me that you are missing out on a lot if you base your judgement of a company primarily on how "fancy" their advertisements, including web pages, are.

The other issue is that the more detailed information you provide on a web page the quicker it gets out of date and the more time and money you have to spend maintaining it. That's great if you are into designing web pages but not so good if you've got a million other things to do.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 04:10:12 PM »

For me it makes NO difference what their web site looks like.I buy 99% of my NEW gear from HRO in Anaheim because of customer service & price.Janet has always treated me VERY well & we have become friends over the years.We BOTH look forward to seeing each other at Orlando HamCation every February.I decide what I want & then make a TOLL FREE phone call & wait on the UPS delivery.Items USUALLY arrive "NEXT DAY" since MOST items are shipped from the HRO,Atlanta store & that's all the time required with NO next day shipping cost! }:>) It's your money so spend it how & where you wish for whatever reason you decide.If we all used just one source the remainder would soon go away & that would be BAD for pricing.

Clayton
W4KVW

N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »

You mean there are hams who don't buy all their stuff at Dayton???

Neil N3DF
N7DCR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:49:16 PM »

That blind amateur operator never complained about any of the websites!...73/N7DCR.
WX0B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 03:16:18 PM »

Hey thats a cool website, try us!
Array Solutions

ARRAY SOLUTIONS
350 GLORIA RD
SUNNYVALE, TX 75182         16 contracts    $462,843

Not sure if that is correct seems like we have 2 more in house now worth at least that. But this also doesn't show the contract we won but are not the prime contractor, for instance we team with ITT, and United States Antenna Products, etc.

Jay, WX0B
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »

Your website traffic is doing pretty well too.

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/arraysolutions.com/

KT7DAD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »

I was told by HRO to use Universal Radio website to find what I need, and then call HRO......
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 02:31:15 PM »

"I was told by HRO to use Universal Radio website to find what I need, and then call HRO...... "

Tell me you're really joking on this one?Huh That sort of response would automatically put them in the "DO NOT BUY FROM HERE" category for me if it is true!!!!

Unless, of course, UR is a subsidiary of HRO which I'm pretty sure it isn't??

In the mid 70's, my dad was told by a Dodge dealer (in WA state) to go look elsewhere at Dodge cars and then come back to them to buy one. They didn't test drive cars because it cost too much for insurance, etc. Dad went across the street and looked at, test drove and eventually bought a Ford. Took it back by the Dodge lot to show the idiot he had missed out on a sure sale that day.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: