Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Store Websites are Terrible  (Read 14079 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »

Well, this may provide the shopper with some notion, right or wrong, of his customer service:

"Dan's web pages load best using Internet Explorer Brousers 6-7- and 8...with a screen resoultion of 1024-768

As far as the new Internet Explorer 9 goes Dan's has no idea on how the pages load.

You need Windows 7 to try that, because Internet Explorer 9 will not work on the Windows XP or lower platforms.

If by chance, you have your screen resoultion set at 800-600 this setting makes the page 2 big and will not fit most smaller displays

If you are a Fire Fox Brouser user, then the pages do not load right.

Fire Fox tends to want to change things [add their own code] and makes a lot of the fonts way bigger than they really are.

This makes the pages hard to read.

Fire Fox brousers also tend to off set the Photo's on Dan's pages so they are not centered.

Dan's has tried all the Fire Fox brousers over the last few years and they all do the same thing as mentioned above.

Dan's has no intention of changing things to please the Fire Fox Brouser.

Dan's has tried Linux in the past and the pages seem to load ok.

Dan's has no idea how Goggle's Chrome brouser loads up the pages.
This information is provided for the very few that complain the pages do not load right."

"Dan's has no intention of changing things to please the Fire Fox Brouser."

This guy devotes the most important real estate on his site, the very top, to criticism of popular and respected web browsers.  Of the techie audience perhaps 50% now use Firefox.

Making a reasonably compatible site just isn't that hard to do. Neither is spell checking it. 
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »

I must admit I was irritated when I read that...since its Microsoft that refuses to stick to standards and best-practices when it comes to CSS, HTML, etc etc

N9VO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »

For what most of the online retailers charge for shipping, you would think they could hire better web designers!!!!

I.E. check out shipping costs for a "sma adapter" from HamCity......
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »

Interesting article!

To be fair: I've never dealt w/ dan's small kits and parts and stuff as a consumer, so I have NO idea what his customer service is like.  I just know that his website is.....interesting Wink
Since I am a Firefox user I was curious as to the problems or difficulty's with Dan's website.  Yeah, the fonts are different but the jpg's seemed the same as with Internet Explorer.  Even in IE there is no indexing or organization.  I am not going to read through a 50 mile long webpage just to find a $.25 knob.  I don't particularly like the way the AES website is but I can find what I want quick enough.

I don't fully understand why folks use the crappy MS IE browser to begin with, and could really care less if a website doesn't display properly...  However, in todays world, anything a store, site, or business does to run people away cannot be profitable.

With that being said, I will probably never buy anything from Dan's, as it appears I will need to buy 100's or more of something when I only want one, two at the most.

Mike
KF7LCE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »

I like how Dave Benson did his page. He may have a small site, but it looks professional, it's easy to find prices, simple to order, shipmets are frequently updated, and he provides links for documentation.

On the other hand, AES is a disaster. Nearly every aspect of their site is just an extension of their catalog; when the catalog is around a hundred pages and meant for glancing over, not finding a specific item, that is not good.
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »

I'll add kudos for DX Engineering as well. I ordered an amplifier and tuner from them. The amp was damaged in shipment and the tuner was DOA. Both were in unopened original MFG shipping cartons. DX Engineering had them both picked up and replaced as quickly as possible. Unlike other reports I have seen here I did not have to wait on resolution with UPS to get the damaged equipment replaced.

They are great with information and recommendations as well as filling and shipping orders. Since they stood behind me the last time I just ordered some additional equipment. As I told them they are my vendor of choice when they have what I need.  Usual disclaimers apply, just a satisfied customer.

Andy - AJ0Z
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 11:22:16 AM »

i don't care about what the site looks like, but rather how easy it is to navigate, HRO is horrible. Universal radio is much easier.
AD7C

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »

i don't care about what the site looks like, but rather how easy it is to navigate, HRO is horrible. Universal radio is much easier.

Wonder why you think HRO is horrible?  I find the site easy to navigate.

Rich
AD7C
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »

I wonder if after the found on the road dead  died , he went back and got a dodge. Grin mabey dealer had last laugh. kg4ymc
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »

"Dan's has no intention of changing things to please the Fire Fox Brouser."

This guy devotes the most important real estate on his site, the very top, to criticism of popular and respected web browsers.  Of the techie audience perhaps 50% now use Firefox.

Making a reasonably compatible site just isn't that hard to do. Neither is spell checking it.  

For those who are old enough... Dan's website conjures fond memories of the old Fair Radio Sales catalog flyer, with it's two mimeographed typefaces: Tiny Typewriter and Big Dymo label :-).

A certain lack of slickness can often make the actual content much more amenable. I'd rather have Dan's catalog that I can search easily with control-F, than the Flash crap that is so popular among the corporate crowd the past couple years yet only hides information behind glitz.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:31:52 PM by N3QE » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 04:27:55 AM »

Wonder why you think HRO is horrible?  I find the site easy to navigate.

Rich
AD7C

HRO just redid their site recently.  The new site is somewhat easier to navigate, but I have seen better.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »

I wonder if after the found on the road dead  died , he went back and got a dodge. Grin mabey dealer had last laugh. kg4ymc

Hardly!! The Found On the Road Dead (as you put it) was driven for many years and finally sold with roughly 100K miles on it. The engine was still as solid as when it was new. Dad took very care of his cars and he had mainly FORDs! For the Dodge dealer, sorry on that one too. They eventually went out of business. I imagine to due to lost sales but who knows. The Ford dealer is still there to this day. I was just in that area last year after being gone for over 30 years, and the Ford dealer has moved but still the same company.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 05:34:22 PM »

If you think ham store websites are bad, go look at the ARRL's new website.  Their old site was great-go to the site map and you could find anything.  Now you really have to hunt to find whatever it is you want, and you still might not find it.  This is progress?

73s John AA5JG

Roger that, John. I used to be able to find public domain style presentations on the ARRL site to use as 'fillers' at club meetings when I didn't have anything ready or someone bowed out at the last minute (like tonight's mtg will be) but I can't make heads nor tails of the site now. I finally gave up trying to find those again.

AES's old website was a breeze to find anything you wanted but now I really don't like the interface that well. Don't get me started on HRO's terrible wesbite.

DX Engineering's website could be the poster-child of the perfect ham radio website. Smooth, concise and very user friendly. I usually go to DXE or AES to look for or at things.

So, John, when you going to be back in town?

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 03:11:30 PM »

Not to begin a flame war, but IMO AES website's the worst.  It's nothing more than their catalog in online form, including PDFs.  I agree that DXE's website is superlative, but I also find HRO's very well done as well, as is Texas Tower's in it's overall simplicity.  The most informative, and also very user friendly, is Fred Osterman's at Universal Radio.
N2PPV

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »

I was told by HRO to use Universal Radio website to find what I need, and then call HRO......

Yer kidding me?LOL!
Are they going to beat the prices?
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: