Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom America Rebate special of the world  (Read 1609 times)
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »

I purchased an Icom 718 last year during the $50 off rebate special from Icom. I followed ALL requirements for the rebate check of $50. It is now reaching 6 months, and Icom has YET to send me my rebate check.

Well, it is spring my tax return came and I went to AES to buy another Icom radio. I was hesitant to get involved with another rebate screwing from Icom, so I purchased a Yaesu FT 450 with an instant off coupun instead. I liked the audio performance of the radio, but I have to honestly say, Icom's neglect at sending me my rebate check influenced my decision to buy Yaesu this time, and it WILL play an influence when I buy another rig in May.

Be careful of the rebate offers coming out of Icom, and do not believe them as guaranteed!

Dave
AB9PM

K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:51:54 AM »

To me, the only rebate that counts is the one they give me AT THE REGISTER......everything else is just a game the company (any company...)plays in hopes that either you won't send in the required paperwork, or you'll forget about it if they wait long enough before sending it.

Holy cow, that's a long sentenance....

73, Jim/k7unz
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:53:04 AM »

After posting this message on this forum, Ray Novak division manager at Icom America has contacted me regarding this post by e-mail. A discussion was held with a representative from Icom America by telephone this morning 2-22-08. They believe the check was mailed, but I have not received it. However Icom wants to do the right thing and mail me my rebate. They are investigating the matter. I believe in being fair, so I will update this forum on the results on if I receive my rebate check.

Hmm, evidently someone reads the posts.

Dave
AB9PM
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:34:07 AM »

"I believe in being fair, so I will update this forum on the results on if I receive my rebate check. "

Well done. I have always believed that mail-in rebates are a scam but if someone (or some company) is willing to be honest I may change my opinion.

Tanakasan
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »

hi,

most rebate checks are pay to the order of
(your name here) or BEARER (bearer instrument)

so if the check is received but never cashed
or is lost in the mail,
the money remains in the account to be used
by the account owner (rebate company).

If the check is payable to John Doe, then the money
will end up in the abandoned property account for the
state where the issuing back is located.

problem is many rebates do not make it easy to
track down a missing rebate check.

the banks also enjoy the float on these checks,
many are drawn on Fist Bank of Lillian in MN.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_167.html

73 james

K4MC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »

Icom is not alone is this "rebate" sham. Best Buy is also very good at putting impossible conditions and fine print in their rebate offers.  No matter from whom you expect a "rebate", unless it is in the bottom line at the time of sale, it is just a sales gimmick.  Refer to that famous line from P. T. Barnum.

I enjoy Icom and have several, but will not fall prey to this marketing gimmick, having been burned before.

Wendell
K4MC
W6TH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:23:20 PM »

I have always received my rebate fund from Icom, as a matter of fact I just mailed in another rebate for the purchase of an Icom IC-V82 2 meter hand held, purchased from HRO in New Hampshire. I only buy Icom radios as their engineering is without a bit of doubt the best. Thanks Icom.

W6TH

.:
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »

Well I have just received my Icom rebate check after posting on this forum. The item was purchased 9-27-07 and I now have my rebate check 2-28-08. Am I thankful Icom came across, sure.

Will this issue affect my future radio purchases both pro and con.....YES.

Dave
AB9PM
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 07:14:03 AM »

I have been burned by the "rebate check is on the way."  I just refuse to purchase anything that has a rebate attached to it.  Either give me, the customer, a discount or not.  If we all quit playing this rebate game it would end tomorrow.

Mike  
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:44:39 AM »

You know what is really odd I think, Icom doesn't handle the rebates directly, they are farmed out to another company. Wouldn't an instant coupon rebate be a better way of handling issues than PAYING another party to handle your business, and in this case HANDLE your reputation?Huh
AA8X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 09:59:45 AM »

I will never purchase a product which requires a mail-in rebate. Rebates are a rip-off and I've been screwed too many times. Never again.
AA8X

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 10:00:37 AM »

I will never purchase a product which requires a mail-in rebate. Rebates are a rip-off and I've been screwed too many times. Never again.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 12:27:48 PM »

Why is rebate a scam??? I've received rebate checks from numerous companies (including Best Buy). Certainly people may purchase a product because of the rebate and then never bother send in the rebate form - but that's due to their own lack of action, not a company scam.

In this particular case it appears that the poster never contacted Icom about the missing rebate - he only compained here. Fortunately someone from Icom read it and responded. Normally I would think it best to contact the company directly if you don't receive a rebate check. I don't think it's Icom's fault that it took so long to get his check if he never contacted them.
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »

Naturally it is NEVER the fault of the company who advertised the rebate, holds the money, and collects interest on the money. They are always the good guy in small minds like AA4PB. I bet I can even guess what political party you affiliate with. Thankfully not all posters are as STUPID thinking as you are.

I am not going to beg people to follow through with their "advertised" LEGAL responsibilities. AA4PB you just convinced me NOT to buy another ICOM, we'll save them for ass kissers like you!

Dave
AB9PM
AD4C2006

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 07:25:41 AM »

Well my case is all the way around,I bought a new IC-756Pro3 with the offer of a FREE PS-125 from Icom and all I had to do was cut one corner of the original radio box where the bar code was and send it together with the store receipt and in about a week I had sent by them a brand new power supply,so I do trust on all their rebates,period !!

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: