Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most ham companies have very poor web sites  (Read 425 times)
KT1F

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »

I hope this is not too far off topic but I spent a few hours today doing some online shopping for ham gear and I have to report that it was a frustrating experience.

Why do most (US) ham radio equipment dealers have such AWFUL web sites? I'm not going to name names because it applies to just about all of them, big and small companies. Honestly, as ecommerce sites most of them are just embarrassing. They make me feel like I've stepped into a time warp back to 1990 when someone discovered this new web thingy and threw something together with an early version of Microsoft FrontPage.

I don't so much really care how they look but things like ease of navigation is seriously lacking on most sites. Some sites give no way to know shipping costs without going through all but the last step of the checkout process. My zip code should be enough to know that earlier. If I'm looking at my shopping cart, I should be able to click on an item and get back to the appropriate product page.

So ... a plea to dealers. Please join the 21st century with your web sits.

Cheers
Ross
KT1F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »

Sorry, I seem to have unnecessarily duplicated the "Ham Store Websites are Terrible" thread which I missed. Feel free to delete.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »

Good luck

I was mercilessly attacked for the posting identical thoughts about something which is obvious to almost anyone who shops or sells online
--------

Ham product sellers, both brick/mortar and ecommerce, are vital to all of us. What do newcomers think of our hi tech hobby when most (not all) sites look like they were built years ago by a Beavis/Butthead teen learning Front Page '97. True, some sites need a total rebuild which may be hard to pay for these days. But others would surely benefit immensely from a few hours of cleanup.... fixing dead links, updating copyright dates, etc.

I'm not talking about nitpicking aesthetic issues. Many sites are so monumentally dreadful that they stand to experience a substantial immediate revenue increase that might be critical to their survival. We all suffer when ham sellers shut down.

There's not much online sellers can do about the dismal economy or the short term state of the hobby. But they can damn well update "Copyright 2006."
WB6SIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:19:44 AM »

K0OD is trying to stir the pot again by trolling for comments on this DUPLICATE thread, which the originator already has apologized for duplicating.

Please DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.  Especially when they come back for seconds!     -     B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: