Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom America Rebate special of the world  (Read 1773 times)
W6TH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »

I have been waiting one month to the day for my rebate from a product I purchased from HRO, as yet have not received my rebate from ICOM.

I will think twice as to buying from ICOM with a rebate offer, seems as though someone hates to part with my money.

I have the patience, so will wait, possibly never get the rebate. After all, it's only money and ICOM needs it more than I do.

W6TH
.:
KI6PTR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »

I, too bought an IC718 back in March-2008, form my local HRO store. Sent all documents necessary to "Icom rebate" still waiting
Wish me "LUCK" !!!
KC0EUJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

i also bought a radio from hro with a $20.00 mail in rebate 3-11-2009  here it is almost june  and stil have not got my rebate check  i guess they are effected by all the goverment buy outs  lol
it said 4 to 6 weeks  well hmm lets do the math here people  
so i guess my next buy will be yaesu ..

kc0euj@att.net
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 06:08:06 AM »

I'll walk out of the store when the sales person even mentions the word rebate, a slimey practice where the issuer is betting on the stupidity of the buyer.

About half of rebates are never redeemed and some rebate checks are never cashed. The process is massively inefficient.

Mercifully, rebates have become less common in recent years. And some states are regulating rebate practices now.

Rebates have been described as a "tax on the disorganized"... probably accurate in my case!
W5DWH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 05:51:33 AM »

I bought 3 Icom's last year and received my rebate on all three. I have also received rebates on cell phones and Shell Rotella oil to  name a few. No problems with any. If you don't want the rebate, don't apply for it- it's that simple!
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »

I used to work for a kitchen ware manufacturer that had (at the time) recently taken rebate processing in-house after problems with their contractor.

Yes, most outfits that use rebates use contractors or other third party agencies to handle them.  The better companies will follow through on your behalf (as happened in this case) although sometimes you have to find the right person.  There are many good business reasons for this (which are too lengthy to go into here) but like anything else, there are trade-offs involved.  Including contractors or contracting firms that don't give a damn.

Rebates are not per se "sleazy," but do require some effort on your part.  If you don't want to deal with them, buy another product or ignore the rebate.  They do figure that 40 - 60% or more of the people eligible for the rebate won't bother to apply for it or won't do it properly, that is figured into the cost.

Based on my work with the aforementioned prior employer (I helped the rebate team out with some various IT & mailing issues), some tips:

1.  Read the coupon or directions carefully and follow them.  FOLLOW THE RULES!
-- If they ask for the UPC barcode, for example, send them that.  
-- If they ask for an original, send them an original, not a copy.  Many stores can give you a duplicate receipt on the spot for rebate use, incidentally.
-- Provide EVERYTHING that is asked for.  If one item of 3 or 4 is missing, you may not get your rebate.  
-- Use the right coupon!  Some companies have two or three rebates going on at a time... if you get the coupons mixed up, you may not get your rebate!

2.  Make and keep a copy of EVERYTHING you send them.
-- and with that copy, note the date you mailed it.
-- also, if there is contact or follow-up information on the coupon, make SURE you keep a copy of that as well.

3.  Use the right address, enough postage, a proper envelope.  And mail it right away, don't wait to the last minute.

4.  Allow plenty of time for the rebate to arrive.  When they say "allow 6 - 8" or "8 - 12" weeks for processing, they ain't kidding.  Many of the rebate processors are small businesses, and only have a handful of people to handle the mail.  I saw bins of letters sitting literally for 6 weeks between the time they arrived & the time they were processed, but the rebate group was only 2 people!

5.  Use the right return address.  Many people in less populated areas have a street address that the USPS does not deliver to...  or have a PO box for mailing that FedEx & UPS can't deliver to... and so forth.  The rebates often get returned or "lost" if they are undeliverable.  We once had a guy getting very upset that his kitchen knife wasn't being delivered to his work address (at a college campus in CA... hmmm...)  Turned out that his building, even though it had an address, was listed in the USPS database as a non-deliverable address -- all mail had to go through the campus's mail facility, which distributed the mail to him.  (Also turned out that he didn't want to use that address because the school's mail system wouldn't deliver a knife... we finally got it to him via his home address, more than that I don't want to know!)

6.  If you have to follow up, be polite.  Threats of lawyers, TV investigative reporters, the attorney general... get laughed at, especially on the first call.  (I loved the one from the guy who threatened a class action lawsuit because the rebate form clearly stated that it was NOT valid in Canada, which he claimed was international discrimination!)
-- BTW, more often or not, the louder and more threatening the call, the more likely that the person didn't send in the rebate correctly or on time.  
-- But, if you overlooked something, and honestly made an error, and plead your case nicely, the person on the phone may be so happy that you're NOT screaming at them, but being reasonable, that they may just be willing to help you out and get you what is due.  Again, I saw this happen time and time again.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »

If you follow the DIRECTIONS of the ICOM REBATE program you can TRACK the rebate status which is outlined on the rebate form.I just got my $20 rebate check from my ICOM 208H on thursday of this week & it took 7 weeks which falls within the stated time frame on the rebate form.I PREFER an INSTANT REBATE but will take whatever I can get.ICOM has NEVER let me down!

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: