Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AES = Careless, service going downhill  (Read 3874 times)
AB0RE

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2002, 10:46:08 PM »

AES has always been my preferred radio supplier, but after my last couple dealings with the company I am having second thoughts.  Service has really gone down hill, it seems.

A few days ago I ordered some small parts from AES.  I spoke with Jim, WJ9P, from the Milwaukee store.  He assured me that he'd send out the parts that same day.  I was pleased to hear that as I had gone to great lengths to arrange the project for this coming weekend.  What Jim failed to mention is that they were going to ship the order from their Orlando location instead of the Milwaukee store where I had placed my order.  That mistake added another 5 days to the shipping time.

I called tonight to discuss this with Milwaukee's store manager, Mike (N9LBQ).  He offered one excuse after another and never really did tell me why the mixup happened (he guessed that it might be because either Jim coded the order wrong or something was out of stock... which Jim should have mentioned to me at the time of my order).  

The bottom line is that it seems AES has no concern for their customers.  They just can't grasp the concept that their carelessness can cause incredible inconvenience to their customers.  They fail to realize that their customers go out of their way to wait for the UPS guy all day long, set aside time on the weekend to work on a project using the stuff they ordered, or enlist the help of others for assistance.  Sure, nobody's perfect.  But when a mistake is made I think it's the responsibility of the company to step up to the plate instead of making excuses.

-Dan
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2002, 02:52:42 PM »

Read this with interest.

I have no feeling or involvement for or with AES, but in general I'd have to question: "Step up to the plate," exactly how?

Once this incident occurred, exactly what could they possibly do to correct it?  Other than apologizing for inconveniencing you, I don't see there's much else they could do.

As for inconvenience, you could have saved yourself some:

Evidently, by your story, you ordered the parts to be shipped by ground (otherwise shipment from Orlando would not take an extra five days).  If so, and this was mission critical, that was foolhardy because no carrier guarantees any particular delivery date for a ground shipment.  UPS guarantees "next day" on Red Label, two days on Blue Label, three days on Orange Label, and nothing at all for Ground shipments, other than it will eventually get there.

WB2WIK/6
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2002, 03:12:22 PM »

Eventually somebody at AES had to have discovered that my order was being shipped from the east coast instead of the midwest.  At this time I would have expected at the very least:
  1) A phone call advising of the delay
  2) An email explaining the delay... OR...
  3) Complimentary upgrading of shipping to two day
If they would've at least contacted me I could have:
  1) Cancelled part of my order to ensure timely shipping... OR...
  2) Pay add'l to upgrade shipping to priority/express
AES decided not to do anything when they discovered the error and they did not empower me as a consumer to control when I'd receive my product.  And I understand that when I talked to the manager it was too late to change what was already done.  But I think it's important to understand that "stepping to the plate" can mean not only changing something that was previously done, but also accepting responsibility for your past decisions.
KB9VSQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2002, 04:14:54 AM »

I too have had a few bad expeiriences with AES Milwaukee, but I also have found that one man there seems to be able and willing to "go the extra step" to provide excellent customer service. When I call over there I request to be served by Gary, KA9YTB. He was the gentleman who advised me on my first Ham purchase (he saved me about a C note and I think I got better equipment)and he has helped me more then anyone else in that store. The other two or three I dealt with were not helpful, willing to answer questions, or patient as him, seemed like they were on commision.
Try asking for Gary, with him I think you will be pleasently surprised.

Semper Fidelis and God bless America
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2002, 02:06:54 AM »

AES....Just say no!

I have purchased several new radios and antennas
in the last 7 years from AES.

I must agree with several of the above comments.
AES does not treat the customer the way HRO does.

On several occasions, the AES I called did not
inform me that my shipment would be coming from
other stores. This added several days in shipping.

On some items, they didn't tell me I would need to
order additional hardware (or parts) for the
project I was working on.
As an example, both M2 6m and 2m Ho-loops require
brackets (not supplied)for mounting on 1.25" mast.
(this tidbit could have come in handy when ordering)

My last attempt to purchase a radio was the clincher.

First, I've asked them several times to change my
delivery address in the computer.  In the past,
I've had my equipment delivered to my job.
Since I'm no longer employed there, I thought
it was pointless to send anything else there.
Note: Even as recently as this week, they sent
yet another catalog to my OLD job.

Second, about five years ago, I changed my last
name (back to my birth name).
What does this have to do with AES?
According to them, their computer database
automatically enters my information by callsign lookup.
It was updated/corrected on the FCC database
(and several callsign servers) 5 years ago.
Five years and several phone calls, equipment
kept coming addressed to the OLD name.

Third, according to AES, I've only ordered
an antenna from them?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?
That made me get my receipts out of the desk.
1-Kenwood TMV7a
2-Kenwood TMG-707 with remote kits
1-Alinco DMR06TH 6m mobile
2-Yaesu VX-5R portables
1-Icom Q7a portable
1-Comet CX333 tri-band base antenna
1-Comet GP-15 tri-band base antenna
1-Comet GP-9 dual-band base antenna
1-Diamond X-50 dual band base antenna
1-M-Square 6m Ho-Loop
1-M-Square 2m Ho-Loop
Several Diplexers and etc.

So far, they can't get my name or address right,
have no record of what I really bought and then...

I have the nerve to attempt another purchase!
An Icom IC-2100 and a Mirage 1015G amp...
almost $600 this one time.
Now they want a few extra bucks for cod.
OK great, no problem.
Then (as usual) they recite my old name
and address back to me.
I asked for the manager. He must have a second
job at a local radio station. They put me on
hold, listening to music for 20 minutes before
I hung up. So, I called back. This time, somebody slams the phone down on a counter they hung up.

The next phone call was to HRO in Delaware.
No shipping, no cod, no bullcrap.
Equipment arrived in two days.

HRO correctly knew my name and address.
HRO correctly estimated my delivery date.
HRO correctly identified the equipment I purchased from them in the past.
HRO included a current catalog in the
box with the equipment.

Do you see a pattern here?
AES=no HRO=yes

Best Regards,
Dennis

KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2002, 07:32:57 PM »

I have over the summer ordered a IC-T2H no problem got in a Week!  I just ordered a IC-2100H for my moms car and it had not come yet it had been two weeks since I mailed in the order so I called and asked about it they said they never got the order! (AES Ham in Nevada is where I sent it) Now I get worried I sent off $174.98 Money order and it got lost in the mail. I don't know what to do but I bet the AES ham people have the order they just Lost it! I hope that is the case and that they find it SOON!!!!

Steve Xavier Anness,KD5OWO
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2002, 05:54:44 PM »

I guess I must be lucky because I've never had a problem with AES. Been using them for years. The last orders have been within the last couple of months - ordered via the web page. No problems. Last November I ordered an IC756PRO from them via the web page. Again, no problems.

KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2002, 08:38:55 PM »

Its not about luck it is about how you Order your item!  You see with my Dad when he sends in a order he gets it and there is not a problem getting it though and here but; then again that is VIA Internet order! I see where it could be people who make phone orders or send it there orders might have some trouble because of the way the orders go though!  The question I have is that because of who works there or how it gets there.  The thing about the phone being slammed down I have one thing to say about that there are rude people out there and you need to report the person who did that and hope that something is done!  I called best-buy awhile back and nobody would answer the phone when they did that transferd the call then the person hung up this went on for awhile then I got tired of it and went to there store!  When I got there I reported the bad phone service and told the name of the person who answerd the phone at first and told them that if the phone service did not get better they would loose a good Customer! I usally spend about $60 a month in there and that is alot for my age!  I hate it when sellers take advantage of me just because I am 13!

Steve,KD5OWO
AA5CH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2002, 01:23:34 AM »

I have been doing business off and on with AES since the mid 1970's and have always been pleased with the service I have received from them. I have recently had an experience that has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

Approximately six weeks ago I placed an online order and quickly received a confirmation via email as usual. I specified regular UPS ground shipping which usually takes 5 business days. When the box arrived, I noted that the items had been shipped from the Orlando store, but the shipping time was typical. However, it was only when I opened the box and and reviewed the invoice that I learned that a significant portion of my order was back ordered. Well, we all get disappointed when our toys don't arrive when we want them to, but I assumed the back ordered items might be en route from another location and would arrive in a couple more days.

After a week had passed, I emailed AES and inquired about the back ordered items. I also suggested that AES upgrade their online ordering system so that a customer would be informed if an ordered item was in stock, and would have access to UPS tracking numbers. I promptly received a somewhat terse response... "No I don't have an ETA [for the back ordered items]."

In this instance, AES is at the mercy of a manufacturer I have since learned is notoriously slow and unresponsive to the amateur market. I have received one of the items, but am still waiting for the last one.  

I don't assume that the person that responded to my inquiry was aware that over the past 25 years I have purchased A LOT of equipment from AES and it really should not make any difference in how a customer is treated, but I guess I am just spoiled enough to have expected an... "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" "I'll try and find out for you" "Those guys are really slow and there is nothing we can do" or even "Thank you for your suggestion."

Perhaps the guy at AES was having a bad day or had caught a lot of grief about this particular manufacturer in the past. Perhaps I am over reacting. I haven't stopped doing business with them...in fact I have since placed a small order and received all items as usual. However, I did note that the box had almost come apart in shipping. I have never  seen that happen with something AES has boxed and shipped.

This situation did prompt me to place an order with a competitor of AES that I have never done business with before. I placed the order online Friday night. I received a phone call Monday morning confirming my shipping info, and was informed that the item was in stock and being shipped. Monday evening I received confirmation via email that my order had been shipped and was provided with a link to UPS tracking. I received my order on Friday...seems like the way online ordering should be done.

Brad
AA5CH    

KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2002, 05:32:30 PM »

Thats a good story;it proves that AES service has gone down hills over time.  You know what else AES still claims they do not have my order.  What should I do?  How do I know if the order was lost in the mail?  Is there someone I can contact about the money order? If it is lost.

I really need help if someone can help me please post a reply on this Fourm.  

Steve,KD5OWO
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2002, 11:48:14 AM »

If you sent a money order, you should have its receipt (stub, duplicate, or whatever).  Simply call the issuing agency and cancel it.

WB2WIK/6
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2002, 05:00:11 PM »

You mean cancel the order then resend it?  I might do that I will call AES again and see then I might thing about that!

Steve,KD5OWO
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2002, 05:00:15 PM »

You mean cancel the order then resend it?  I might do that I will call AES again and see then I might thing about that!

Steve,KD5OWO
KU4VQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2002, 04:34:46 PM »

This is a general response. I have dealt with AES and HRO many times since 1982 and always had a decent results with both companies. One thing about mailing orders is that the US Mail service has been very slow, It takes two weeks for my check to come from Chicago. Another factor to consider is that the ownership of AES has changed and some policies may have changed. I also have been dealing with some of the smaller dealers around the country with as good pricing.

George  KU4VQ
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2002, 04:54:23 PM »

I sent the mail order off two weeks ago called a week after I sent it off should it have already been at AES?  

Looks like you have been lucky with no problems with the dealers;but like you said they are under new onwership so some polices are different! Since then have you seen changes?

Steve,KD5OWO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: