Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pvc pipe mast with copper j-pole  (Read 681 times)
KJ4MXO

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »

I am making a copper pipe j-pole(2 m) and am wondering if 30' of pvc pipe will hold it.The pipe will be bolted to a shed about half way up.50' of coax will run from there to house.
KB6VIV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »

Whether it would be stiff enough would depend on how thick the pvc was.  2"O.D. schedule 80 might be stiff enough.  Hard to know for sure.  Bigger concern might be lightning.  Depends where you live.  Wouldn't worry about it at all in Los Angeles.  But it would be a death wish in Miami.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

I doubt it, unless it's very large diameter thick walled PVC.  2"-3" diameter might work, anything smaller is likely to just bend over at the first wind.

I'd use aluminum or galvanized steel pipe.

Chain link fence top rail tubing is probably strong enough for this, and it's cheap at Home Depot.

WB2WIK/6
KJ4MXO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »

Thanks for the input.By the way I live in northeast florida.all kinds of lighting.
KB6VIV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:31:34 AM »

Thought I might add why it's a bad idea to use non-conductive mast in a high lightning area. A well grounded metal mast provides a path to ground. Use a non-conductive mast and the only path to ground is through your cable right into your radio.
KB6VIV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »

You might consider this product.  Telescoping Aluminum tubing with slit ends to use hose clamps.

http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=278&SecID=136&DeptID=43
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: