Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this e-QSL company/service legit?  (Read 1210 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:17:05 PM »

I just received the following e-mail:

Hello  (WA8MEA),

I have sent you an electronic QSL card.
You can pick it up by going to http://www.eQSL.cc

As soon as you register, you can display and print my eQSL and the other 77 eQSLs waiting for you there.

KC4TVZ
----------------------------------------------------
Now I don't think this is affiliated with LOTW.  And I don't do much DX.  Most of my contacts are Special Events and those are specially printed QSL's and certificates.

I just don't see how in the hell I've got 77 e-QSL's waiting for me there!

Anyone else know anything about these folks???

73, Bill - WA8MEA
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »

LOTW and eQSL are two totally different animals. LOTW is a double blind system where neither side knows of the other's uploaded QSLs until the LOTW software determines that there is a match based on time +- 30 minutes (I think), same band and mode and matching callsigns.

eQSL is based typically on the honor system. As you have noticed, you can get 77 QSLs waiting on you (and be notified as such) to upload your matching QSO data from your logbook. Now here is where the rub is. You could cheat and enter a matching non-existent QSO in your online log or accept the sent QSL as is and have a matching QSO entered. This looseness of the data is the reason that LOTW will not accept eQSL data.

Most probably the waiting QSLs are from the same folks you have received the fancy paper QSLs from. I have the same results in my eQSL account.

I use LOTW mainly but also do eQSL as a favor to those that seem to think eQSL is the cat's meow.

Hope this is informative.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:06:40 PM »

Thanks, Gene.

Well explained....and understood.

73, Bill
AA8LL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »

EQSL was around before LotW got going.  I resisted sending logs to EQSL because I thought they were going to be the loser like Beta in the Beta/VHS wars, since DXCC didn't accept EQSL.  I uploaded 20,000 QSO's to LotW and got over 8,000 QSLs.  Recently, CQ Magazine announced they would accept EQSLs for all their awards like WAZ, WPX, and their DXCC type award.

So it looks like there are two legit systems.  I uploaded my computer logs for the last few years to EQSL and got thousands of EQSLs!  It sure makes the buro cards dwindle.  

RSGB still requires paper cards for IOTA, so I still get plenty of paper cards.

So.... make lots of QSOs and give your customers what they want.  Why not?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:03:32 AM »

Yep, eQSL's been around much longer than LOTW.

I don't use it and always have hundreds of cards waiting for me there.

I don't like "printing" them, and a lot of eQSL cards are all the same (other than the callsigns and addresses) because people use the default design.

When I get cards in the mail (direct or via the bureau) I reply 100%, but via eQSL I don't.

WB2WIK/6
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »

I've been using eQSL for a long time.  I used LOTW for a while, but found the pain of re-setting up the software every time I had to rebuild a Windows PC or get a new one was a pain.  At some point I may resume LOTW, but I'm in no hurry.  In the meantime, I just upload my logs to eQSL and browse my new cards when I get around to it - it's all fun.

I am not concerned about the dishonorable folks who might fabricate to get an award via eQSL - they are very very few, and their awards are worth what they put into them. I recently completed my WAS with 5w and wires using eQSL, and I am proud of it.  As far as I'm concerned, people worry far too much about their awards and other aspects of this great hobby.

eQSL is legitimate, as is LOTW, but they're different.  I hope you choose to use eQSL and do the quick and easy upload so that people like me can confirm our contacts with you.  Thanks in advance.
73 & best rx de kt8k - Tim
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:55:43 AM »

Wow!  I guess they are legit!

I decided to wander over their after receiving a promo for free advertising for my ham business.  While there, I decided to sign up and check into those 70+ cards.

I was amazed!  Nice cards from the people I was in QSO with according to my own personal logs.

For some reason, the cards would not print up to 4 x 6 when I attempted to use their function.  However, I was able to "Copy Image", put on MS Word and make them roughly 4 x 6.  Since I make my own homebrew cards using software, I decided to use the same card stock I use on my own cards.  It worked out well and they all look highly professional.

A lot of work to do over the next few weeks as I try to match what is in there with what is in my personal logs with what has already been done via SASE.  These eQSL's go all the way back to 2000!

73, Bill - WA8MEA
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »

Bill,

That is exactly why I use an electronic logging system (DX Lab Suite) to manage all my QSLs; paper, LOTW and eQSL. It takes no time at all to upload the new ones to LOTW and EQSL (handled seperately for award tracking) and to get responses back for those QSOs with matching QSLs from both services.

It sounds like you may be not using any electronic logs or maybe an older less efficent logging system if it takes a long time of laborous effort to manage your QSLs. If not, I would suggest you take a look at DX Lab Suite. It's free and I haven't found anything it won't do in respects to logging and operating.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Glad to see you found eQSLs useful. Like I mentioned before, I use it simply as a service to those that like that route over paper or LOTW. I have qualified for a couple of their awards but haven't worried about processing them nor do I print the QSL cards from eQSLs becasue like was said, many of them are the default boring design. I only collect real paper QSL cards and use LOTW for awards along with the cards.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KC2CIW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:45:26 AM »

When I first heard about eqsl, I setup an account. I found an SQL injection vulnerability. I posted a notice to them, but I haven't seen it fixed.

I'm sticking w/ lotw for now.
N4BFD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:28:09 AM »

I've been using Ham Radio Deluxe for my logging, and it has options to sync automatically with eqsl, so that is what I do.  Since I don't have to lift a finger to use the service why not use it?

I wish more people would load custom cards in, I think you have to donate to the service to do so, I may be wrong.  I need to updated mine, but I did design a card.  I notice that more DX than stateside seem to have custom cards there.

If you're not using eQSL and you use a logging program that will sync with the service, you're missing out!
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »

I use both eQSL and LoTW, HRD outputs the ADIF log to both. If I want to send a card (hardly ever anymore) I print out my custom eQSL card on card stock and mail it. My pick on eQSL for best cards is VK3IO and V73RY.

73 de Lindy
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:26:22 AM »

I have found that I get a much higher response with eQSL than LOTW. I don't get on the air every day, but when I do I upload my logs to both services after going QRT. My return rate on eQSL is about 50%, whereas LOTW is more like 5%. With paper QSLs it's about 25% for direct and about 1% through the bureau. In my opinion, eQSL is the way to go.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

Ya know, I've been signed up for LOTW for years now.  The last time I checked, I didn't have any cards.

HOWEVER, I've had to steadily work at whittling down the QSL's I found on eQSL.  I'm makin' progress.  But heck, I've got QSO's/QSL's in there dating back three years!

However, to be honest, eQSL is kind of enjoyable.

73, Bill
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:30:58 PM »

I'm not a contester or paper-chaser so what that type of operation requires QSL-wise doesn't concern me. I use e-QSL as a friendly way of saying thanks for the chat. Nothing more.
KC2VKD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 06:38:54 AM »

i have a question is it ok if QSL's are sent via different methods at the same time. does sending and receiving duplicates cause any problems (assuming someone does not try to count it as a unique contact)
I started using eqsl.cc when a Digital-QSO mentioned it, so i logged in. I have not installed/ setup LOTW but plan on it, should i send the same data to LOTW that i do EQSL?

Thanks
Michael
KC2VKD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: