Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for 80/40m vertical (160 maybe?) ideas  (Read 1134 times)
W9PN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »

I have had good luck with a homebrew monopole vertical.  I used three sections of Rohn 25G tower sitting on homebrew glass composite insulators.  I had Zero Five antennas build me up one of their 33 foot self supporting verticals without insulators and I mounted that on a short mast on top of the tower sections.  This gives me 63 feet physical height.  The vertical is resonant at around 3700 Khz.  The entire antenna is self supporting.  Lighter tower would work just fine.  

For a long time I force fed the vertical with an in shack tuner on 160m-30m and made a lot of good DX contacts this way.  Not a recommended feed method however.  Impedance on 160m is extremeley low and on 40m extremely high.  30m is reasonable.  I have experimented with linear loading and base loading, both work as far as obtaining resonance.  I have not measured impedance with the loading in place.  I currently have 32, sixty foot buried radials for a ground system.

The antenna has been a pile up buster on 80m.  On 160m I have worked 44 countries so far running 400 watts.  Performance on 40m and 30m seem to be good as well.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.
SP5QIP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 07:46:44 AM »

>For 3.775 kHz and 7150 kHz:
>Vertical tube 19.0 meters tall
>Grounded 10.25m wire spaced 40 cm

Grounded you mean connected to radials or ground rod?
Mike
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »

Connected to the same ground system as your feed point.
Generally that would mean radials.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: