Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buddipole Wars?  (Read 7081 times)
WB6SIK

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:30:53 PM »

It seems that Bud and his friends can't stand to have a few negative posts in the review section.  I'll bet they are calling each & every customer to please come to eham to help fight those evil people who said terrible things about their antenna. For everyone who does say something negative, five come out of the woodwork the next day.  Very suspicious to me. But it is interesting that the ads all say how easy it is, but the new people praising it are saying it takes time and lots of patience. Well isn't that nothing more than false advertising? Be thruthful. Because if the Buddipole does take lots of adjusting and takes all kinds of time to figure out the right angle, it isn't as stated ans ahme on the ads.

Just my opinion. Bill P.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:45:52 AM »

The usefulness of the eHam product reviews is diminshed by reviewers who fail to observe eHam's sensible guidelines:

"Product Reviews are not a discussion "Forum" for general complaints, inquiries, repair diagnostic help, product modification, or customer service issues.
Do not criticize someone else's review. Everyone is entitled to express their product experience and opinion without being publicly criticized."

The bickering over the "Buddipole" antennas may be amusing; however it does not help those who are considering a purchase.

Likewise, a recent "review" of the Butternut HF-2V vertical was given by someone who was attempting to copy the design of the antenna and was soliciting help.

It might be time for the editors to weed out some of this chaff ....

Chuck  NI0C

WB6SIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 12:05:02 PM »

Agree 100 per cent Chuck.  But you notice the opinions are from both sides. You have the Bud supporters who do nothing but kiss Bud's butt and have nothing on performance. Then the ones who don't like what they bought at least most, have put something in there about set--up and preformance. I'm sorry. But I think many of the reviews are put-up jobs from that back-pack group Bud's envolved with. I too, wish there was a better way of weeding out the good and the bad reviews. Some people are amateurs when it comes to amateur radio, and often find out its not the product. But by then they've done the damage by writing a bad eham review, or even a good one finding out later the product died after a short time. I wish people would not take these reviews as gospel truth. At least investigate all avenues.

Just my opinion. Bill P.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »

The Buddipole review tsunami has been amusing, and while it does seem a little less than totally spontaneous, it's not that unusual.  Post an even slightly critical review of just about anything and you're likely to quickly get a  response review from some offended ham who resents the implication that he spent some of his money on something that was even slightly less than perfect.

That's why it always pays to read the reviews, and not just rely on the average rating.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 05:51:24 AM »

"Post an even slightly critical review of just about anything and you're likely to quickly get a response review from some offended ham who resents the implication that he spent some of his money on something that was even slightly less than perfect."

Yeah, and then there's also the guy who gives it a zero because FedEx took 1 extra day to get it to him and he didn't win CQWW CW with a Buddipole and 20W out of his battery-powered FT-897D.

I agree that anyone who really wants to know what's up with the antenna just needs to read all the reviews.  In fact, a little review war is probably excellent because you get an amplified, exaggerated sense of the pros and cons of a particular product.

It's better than a few sedate reviews, even if it does make the numerical review meaningless.  

I guess I just don't see the problem now that I've gone  and read the reviews.  A couple guys (including you) couldn't get it tuned.  A couple other guys dropped it.  Those garnered 0 and 1 reviews.

The first is certainly a legit complaint given that the marketing copy makes it seem *easy* to tune and if you can't get it tuned it's not going to work worth a darn.

But I don't get the impression that the good reviewers are other than satisfied customers.  If you have true knowledge of manipulation of the reviews by the manufacturer, you should probably contact the webmasters.

Why don't you sell yours on eBay instead of leaving it in the corner of the garage?  Someone wants it according to the eHam reviews!!!

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WB6SIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 03:21:41 PM »

Contact the webmasters? I'm sure they are in on it. Especially if a company buys a lot of advertising on eham.net. They don't want the company to look too bad or they might take their advertising elsewhere. It's a racket. Same goes for magazines.

Just my opinion. Bill P.
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:01:18 PM »

Per WB6SIK -
"Contact the webmasters? I'm sure they are in on it. Especially if a company buys a lot of advertising on eham.net. They don't want the company to look too bad or they might take their advertising elsewhere."

I'm eHam's Product Reviews Manager. If you read the Product Review guide lines you'll note the following:

"eHam's Product Reviews are independent of eHam's advertisers. eHam's advertisers should accept whatever reviews are posted within eHam's Product Review guidelines as described here."

Do manufacturers contact us about reviews?  Sure they do. But in almost all cases only for legitimate reasons of a review not following guide lines.  Anyone can do that.

Accusations of reviews manipulation because a manufacturer purchases eHam advertising have no foundation in fact and are simple conjecture.

I couldn't even tell anyone who eHam's advertisers are except by looking at the ads on any given day.

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager
N9IJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 05:37:37 AM »

I suspect Bud's support group response level is simply due to that backpack bunch having been his initial, and largest, target group. The Buddipole was not initially targeted at the general ham population for good reason. It was targeted at the folks who enjoy the challenge of portable  operation in less than desirable environs. For this it does the job and many living in ham unfriendly environs have found it to be adequate for their use.

One with a modicum of ambition and only a little more than memorization skills can build a better performing dipole for their home station. If you throw your credit card out for a Buddipole, expecting it to compete with any "full-size" antenna you will be disappointed. "Simple to set up" assumes the user has some understanding of how  the antenna works.
WZ1P

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »

Hi group, I will be right up front and admit that I am a moderator for the Buddipole Users Group on Yahoo. This Buddipole thing did not come about by accident. I was first licensed in 1989.(novice/code)  I had a shack full of equipment and towers and beams in the yard. It was very rewarding to say the least. After doing this for a number of years and upgrading,  I retired and moved to Florida. (I know, I know) Before moving I sold all my stuff and decided to set on a new path once I got established in my new home.

Portable ops. was my desire. I needed some small, efficient battery powered equipment for operating in the field and on DX trips. I went with a couple of IC-706MKIIG's (now IC-7000's) and I needed a light multiband portable antenna to go with it. I had no clue what was out there. I started my search right here on e-ham. It was obvious that this Buddipole thing had rave reviews. OK, what's the catch? Mmmmmm. I'm not easily convinced. I did the Buddipole users group thing on Yahoo and read mixed reviews as well.

I stuck my neck out and ordered a deluxe version with a 16' mast and tripod. It arrived. I admit the quality was good but I had no experience with such a small antenna system. I set it up on 20m as per the instructions and had really good results. I did not own an analyzer at the time so I had to go by the supplied guide sheet. I'm not a rocket scientist but after a bit of getting used to it I was on page one.

Fast forward to the present. After using the antenna for years, getting good results (it's a portable) and using most of the great accessories that are now available, I'm happy with the antenna system. I got to know both Budd and Chris Drummond on a persoanl basis, I'm very happy with their same day service and have met hundreds of satisfied Buddipole users.

Although the results are impressive, this antenna system is not for everyone. It is portable specific and can not replace a full size properly installed dipole. Then again, it does'nt attempt to.

I have been involved with Buddipile, the HF Pack, and many portable operators for years and I have never even heard of one person or member ever squashing a negative review of the Buddipole on e-Ham or anywhere else! Some people ARE unhappy with their choice of the Buddipole and feel as though they should have bought a different system. If anyone would recognize a turkey and post a negative review, it would be ME! I have not because the antenna has has met all my expetations. I am very satisfied with the results that I'm getting during portable operations. If anyone can steer me towards a better portable system with better customer service, accessories and on-air results then please let me know. For now I'm happy.

Thanks & 73,

Dan WZ1P
KD5SRW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 06:53:51 PM »

The fellas at Buddipole are the absolute best. Wonderful customer service and a superb quality product. I have used their system for several years with no complaints whatsoever. Bud has earned my business. I will continue to buy from them!!!

Bravo!
VE9AAE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »

You know, if there was some grand conspiracy by Budd with regard to a review/advertising/marketing scheme, I'm doubtful that he would post a set of homebrew instructions. (http://www.qsl.net/w3ff/antenna_design.htm)
Don't ya think?
And no, I don't own one; not suitable to my needs (I'm a doublet person).
Merely an observation.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 10:11:35 AM »

You know, if there was some grand conspiracy by Budd with regard to a review/advertising/marketing scheme, I'm doubtful that he would post a set of homebrew instructions.
----------------------------------------------------
I heard a similar excuse used by a nutcase on shortwave who states that listeners could make copies of his videos and give them to as many people as they wanted.  This supposedly made him credibal...claiming he wasn't into video production just to make money.

As soon as a local preacher started copying and handing out the videos by the hundreds, the "talk show host" suddenly changed his mind.

Bud knows 80% of the people won't bother to homebrew his antenna.  He's using this as a gimmick, just like the fella in the above paragraph(s).

That said, I like gimmicks!  If it helps to sell a product, more power to 'em.

73, Bill - WA8MEA
TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 09:36:13 AM »

Budd and his son are both fine people. I wish them both the best.

Phil does a good job for the reviews section. He can't be everywhere at once. If you see something that you think is out of line with the posted rules, let him know, and if it truly is, he will take care of it.

That's been my experience.

Support Eham.

W3VR
VE7SVC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »

Gee whiz such skepticism. When I first got involved in amateur radio, I started out with a home made dipole attached to the house and a distant grove of trees. Real Estate development changed all that and I had to find a substitute. A close ham had purchased a Buddipole and seemed happy. I on the other hand continued to experiment with home made antennas. He suggested I go to their web site and build their home brew 20 meter antenna, so I did. Using a Mark 11g icom, 100 watts my first contact came from Alaska. I was in the back yard enjoying the sunshine in Southern B.C.  Next to my dipole, this was the most exciting contact i had ever made because the antenna was so compact. So, yes I decided to purchase a Buddipole. It has been my only antenna companion for the past 5 years. Field day, camping or just to head out to the park. Had it not been for the development of this antenna, I'm not sure what would have happened to my ham radio hobby.

VE7SVC
TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »

The Buddipole is convenience. Sure anyone with enough patience, and tenacity could build all manner of things that would work from down right crude and ugly/ functional and otherwise.

At least Budd & Chris's stuff look good, is light and functional. I don't mind paying for it. Folks would be suprised what sells, and who buys certain things.

An example is that stuff that WA8MEA sells. That is some crude, rough, home made looking junk if I've ever seen any.

But, hey....according to him, people like it, and it sells.

Whatever works for you.

W3VR
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: