The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which 2-meter of these three would you recommend?  (Read 3433 times)
KD5LTS

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2001, 10:08:24 AM »

I am looking to purchase my first rig.  It will be used for storm spotting.  Of these three, which would you recommend?

Yaesu FT 1500M
ICOM 2100H
Kenwood TM 261A
KD5LTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2001, 05:34:23 PM »

Also, what would be a good magnetic mount antenna (1/4 wave)for one of these radios? $25-$40 range
KG4DED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2001, 07:39:31 PM »

I have a Kenwood TM 261 and I like it.  It is plane vanilla but it is a good radio.  Simple, stright forward but it works quite well.

Steven
KG4DED
K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2001, 11:42:36 PM »

Congratulations on your choice to serve with storm watch.  You can't go wrong with either the ICOM 2100H or the Kenwood TM 261A.  I recommend you stop by a retailer or visit the websites and see which unit controls you are most comfortable with and go with that.  Both of these rigs are simple, reliable and attractively priced at this time.
KE6BGH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2001, 01:15:27 PM »

I like the Icom 2100H (and Icom in general), although the Kenwood is also a solid, simple, rig.

For an inexpensive antenna you might look at MFJ.  They have an "Ultralite" magmount for HTs that retails for under $20 and some 5/8 magmounts for $25 or less.  Cushcraft and Hustler also have magmounts that fall in your price range.  My experience with MFJ is that their stuff usually is on the cheap side, but can be very servicable if you don't ask too much and budget is a major concern.  I don't like to spend more than I need to when a cheap alternative will fill the need.

Okay, so I'm a tightwad and tend to homebrew antennas to keep the cost down compared to performance.  This is also an option you might consider.

I had an old center loaded CB antenna that mounted the antenna on a 1/4-20 stud on the magmount.  I used 1/4 inch thick wall tubing to make a collar for a 12 whip.  The .065 wall tubing had an ID that would take a 1/4-20 tap, and I drilled and tapped holes in the other end for set screws.  I started with a 19.25" whip and trimmed for a low SWR at 146.2 (near most repeater inputs).  It works fine and has been on my car, off and on, for five years.  Work a lot better than a rubber duck inside.

Sorry this is long, but if budget is an issue you can save lot by trying a homebrew solution.

73's, de Dave KE6BGH
KD5LTS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2001, 12:25:55 AM »

Thanks for the helpful responses!

Chris
KD5LTS
KC8JDI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2001, 07:26:41 AM »

I have just installed a new FT-1500A in my car and it is the best, toughest, most feature laden radio of the 3 I believe.  I also was extensively comparing these radios that you are considering.  This radio is made of solid metal and is like a brick.  The audio is nice and loud, has features that are frequently found only on more expensive gear, has a very bright display and appears to be bulletproof!  I love this thing and would buy it again in a flash, in fact, I may buy another one for inside the house.  And the price is oh so right, it is frequently on sale for $160.00, and I don't believe that you can beat that.  Email me direct at:  KC8JDI@arrl.net if you have any deeper questions about this rig, it is a very, very nice radio.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: