The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit slowly making a comeback  (Read 11843 times)
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »

The Heathkit of today is little more than a "cover band" for the original company just like "Strawberry Fields" (a band I saw in Vegas a few years ago) is a cover for the Beatles. They were good but they weren't John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Calling themselves "Heathkit" doesn't make them Heathkit even if they've gone through the rigamarole of legally being able to do so. They may be Heathkit in the legal (and therefore superficial) sense but we all know there's more to being a company with such historical significance than simply owning the right to the name.

It would be more like if a Beatles tribute band promoted themselves as the real Beatles and started releasing overpriced albums full of second-rate music in the hopes of capitalizing on the name.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2017, 06:16:24 AM »

It would be more like if a Beatles tribute band promoted themselves as the real Beatles and started releasing overpriced albums full of second-rate music in the hopes of capitalizing on the name.

Heathkit certainly positioned itself in an interesting niche in the 50's and 60's but the comparison isn't quite right.

Although I love my Heathkits, they were at best third-rate :-)

Now if you want to start talking about Eico rigs and Gotham beams, we can talk about fourth-rate and fifth-rate!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »

Heathkit certainly positioned itself in an interesting niche in the 50's and 60's but the comparison isn't quite right.

Although I love my Heathkits, they were at best third-rate :-)

Now if you want to start talking about Eico rigs and Gotham beams, we can talk about fourth-rate and fifth-rate!

Yeah but I could have some first-rate conversations with my HW32! Most fun rig ever! No need to choose a band or mode or filters or any of that tedious stuff!

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »

and a spark gap rig can apply for the WATV award (Worked All TVs.)  again, no tuning Wink
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »

and a spark gap rig can apply for the WATV award (Worked All TVs.)  again, no tuning Wink

Actually, going to the HW32 and a monoband antenna cured my tvi problems. I almost don't want any multiband equipment, that just seemed to work so well and problem free

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »

Actually, going to the HW32 and a monoband antenna cured my tvi problems. I almost don't want any multiband equipment, that just seemed to work so well and problem free

A good friend of mine had a HW-32 and a HW-22 also.  The Heath single banders were pretty good old radios for what they were.  They were designed to be mobile so they were very stable and they sounded really good.  I worked Jess many times on 40 and his HW-22 sounded great with an old sure mic plugged into it.  I had a HW-30 in 1965 and it would work the TV set.  It had a rushbox receiver in it that was broad as a barn door and it interfered with almost everything but it was a blast to work my friends on two meters after school.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: