Getting close to the end of the year, and still no signs of life from TenTec. No news updates. No product updates. No radio production. No updates to website. Web store still notes "under construction."
I think you can pretty much stick a fork in them. The amateur radio world has passed them by.
How many hams would really risk their money on a new radio from Ten-Tec?
The local undertaker called. He wants you to return his shovel.
Mike Dishop N8WFF posted a long update to the Ten Tec reflector yesterday, discussing the current status. Some of the highlights:
- Their current location is too small for their needs, so they are currently in the process of moving to new quarters.
- Because of the booming tourist trade in the Sevier County area, prices for commercial real estate are 'sky high', which is why finding a new home has taken so long.
- The Service department is not taking additional rigs in for repair RIGHT NOW, but will do so as soon as the move is complete... simply because they don't want to move rigs in for repair along with everything else
- They have resumed doing their PC Board work internally
- As many have speculated, they have been very busy with a commercial order for the RX340, proceeds of which have paid the bills for the new equipment they have acquired
- If you'd like an RX340, they are available right now on "short notice"
- New radios are on the horizon, but still in the design phase
- And finally, Mike would like to know if anyone is still interested in buying a Ten Tec Eagle. It looks like a production run of at least 100 Eagle's is about to take place.
I'm skipping a lot of detail here. Suffice to say, the owner of the company has made a commitment, and is spending his time running the company (along with Alpha, which is again a separate company from Ten Tec) and trying to put it back together. In short, he's busier than a one armed man in a wallpaper hanging contest.
But they're not dead. Not yet, at least. So quit trying to bury them.