The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio City Moundsview, MN  (Read 2714 times)
AC0FA

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »

I have found radio city to be an excellent place for hams to buy and sell radios and other equiptment.

Dan and Maline Fish. Were happy to check things out and honor their free labor warranty. When it was decided the unit was fried and would be an risky repair of some potential expense.

Dan voluntered to pay the freight to and from the factory for some up grades allong with replacing the finals. So the factory could waranty rhe repair.

I also find the consignment shelf at radio city a good inexpensive place to sell my gear.
In most cases it is cheaper than e-pay.

I find the salsemen to be knowledgeable and heplfull. Sure not every single employee can be an expert on every piece of equiptment on the used shelf. They sell every thing from dc to daylight.

The buyer should download and study the owners manual for every piece of equiptment they plan to buy and make sure it will work well with the equiptment they already own.

Dan and Maline are also participants and supporters of the local and regional ham community. They participate ham fests and and other things.

The rigs in the show room are hooked to antennas they are more than happy to demonstrate the new rigs and allow the customer to compare rigs side by side.

Radio City is truely one of the last great radio shops.

Every ham young and old is greeted with a smile.
Stop in and see Dan and Maline if you ever want to talk  radio. You will be glad you did.
Erik
N9CM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 03:58:51 AM »

Well, something has changed there.  I have emailed them repeatedly about what stock they have on a particular item as their on line listing is way out of date.  Their "web cam" goof is a joke, the resolution is so poor (pics taken from like 50 feet away) you cannot possibly tell what the equipment models are they may or may not have or how old that data is, I have called and the phone rang off the hook.

So, not interested, well, neither am I.  Dead website as far as I am concerned.

Case in Point:
Listing of stuff for sale:  Here it is Nov 2016;
their listing:  last updated: July 01, 2016

Wow...talk about lame.

I wouldn't recommend them under any circumstances. I suppose they like to deal with locals only...who knows...

K4PDM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:29:08 AM »

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I have no problem reading the model numbers on the webcams, and would know what most of the rigs are just from looking at them.

I've never ordered from them but the webcams work for me.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:57:54 AM »

I have no trouble with the webcams.  as for the phone, like auto parts stores, if they are with a customer, answering questions may come first.  heck, send email in that case.

I may be biased, as I live 4 blocks away from the store, but I drop in, there's usually somebody within a few minutes who can spend time with me if needed.  I've bought stuff off the consignment shelf, and it's not been dead yet.
N9CM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 06:16:16 AM »

Yeah, one of their "better" pics...note some of the models and prices are nearly impossible to read...

http://www.radioinc.com/rci-store-cam1.jpg

I could pull up some I tried to decipher but without success...but, if you like a lack of resolution/clarity...go for it..

K4PDM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 03:24:19 AM »

Top row: Palomar CB Meter under MFJ keyer, TS-2000, Jensen speaker, then an ICOM VHF or UHF multi-mode
Second row: TS-680S, TS-870S, IC-756 ProIII,
FT-950.
Third row: TS-940S, IC-7200, FT-920, TS-590S, TS-850S.
Fourth/fifth row: MFJ 949E, AEA AT-300, MFJ 784B, IC-475H, TS-570D, Ameritron QSK-5, TS-140, MFJ 495, FT-897D, MFJ 408, FT-847, LDG AT-600.

Not perfect, but mostly decipherable.

KE0CRP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:36:50 PM »

Most of the time their cameras are pretty good.  They are very unclear at times.  I have been there a few times.  It's a 2 hour trip for me but when I get to the metro, if I'm in the vicinity, I try to stop.  I bought my first HF rig and a few other items there.  They were great to work with in helping me get my first station set up with everything I'd need.  The last time I was in there just to poke around and one of the guys just followed me around and kind of made me feel uncomfortable.  I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, just browsing at a few pieces of equipment.  All in all they are helpful and I will be back.
N9CM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 04:59:59 PM »

Noticed the prices weren't mentioned which many were unintelligible...no matter...I don't shop there but wish they would dress it up a bit...definitely not for the internet shopper crowd..the used listing is how old?
KE0CRP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 06:30:17 AM »

Yes I would agree that their used listings and their website is archaic at best.  It could use a re-fresh.
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 09:25:06 PM »

I agree their website could use an overhaul.... "browsing" isn't nearly as easy as it is at other ham vendors (DX Engineering is one of my favorite websites).

Their store front is very good for a "mom & pop" ham radio business - neatly organized with prices well marked. 

Radio City also supports area hams by attending several area hamfests... even small ones where I'm sure they don't "break even" with travel costs taken into consideration.  It's always a pleasure to talk with Dan at the fests and one can tell he has a passion for the hobby.

For when the bands are down, they also sell telescopes so you can spy on your neighbors.  ;-)
N9CM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 04:30:55 AM »

Their "listing" is a bit old also and I have emailed them (since I can't call from work) and never receive an email response.  Need to address their web sales with someone manning the listings, web shots and emails.  Would drastically improve their "visibility" with the ham world...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: