Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a simple 2m, HT thats not expesive  (Read 842 times)
KC2DUA

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2001, 02:48:05 PM »

Does anyone have any ideas on a simple 2m HT thats not exspensive (less than $120).
73's
Keith
KC2DUA
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 08:08:16 AM »

Hello,
I think the best price going now is on a Icom
IC-T2h  apx.$140 or the Yaesu VX-150n apx $150.
You will have to spend a little more than you plan
on though. Try to get 5 Watts, you'll need it to get
the best use overall, i.e. repeaters, mobile use, phone patch.
There are some even below what you want to spend
but are somewhat USELESS as they only put out
Milliwatts.
You may be tempted ,because of price, to by used
 BUT one word of caution, if you have problems
and have to send it in for repairs you're looking at
spending $50 - $70 just to have them open it up to
see whats wrong !! Now you are out of pocket what a new
one would of cost to begin with.
Here are a few of site to check prices:
http://www.aesham.com/
http://www.texastowers.com/
http://www.burghardt-amateur.com/
http://www.burghardt-amateur.com/  has free shipping on some stuff.

Steve
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2001, 10:04:28 AM »

You could also scour the classifieds here on eham or search ebay.  I have bought gear from both places and have had no trouble at all.  I have found that hams in general are good sellers of merchandise. Buyer beware though.  Just ask some fellow hams in the area about some older HTs that are good quality and then go on your search.  I just picked up an HTX-404 for 440 work for $87.00 on ebay.  It matches my HTX-202 and I can use all the accessories for either radio.  Good luck on your search and 73's
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2001, 08:43:09 PM »

I have seen the ADI AT-201 on sale for $119.  I have had one for two years with no problems. It has 20 memories, 5 watts output, and good audio on the output. It does have some drawbacks. It is kind of bulky by today's standard and the built in speaker could be better. It is 6inches by 2 1/2 by 1 1/2. The speaker can be overcome with a $15 speaker mike. Something you will want with any HT.  You can operate the rig straight from 12 volts a + without the battery and it is only 3 inches tall. It really depends on what you want the HT for. If you are really tight on money and the HT is the only rig you are going to have for a while you might spend the extra money and buy one of the big three.  You might be happier.  If you are looking for a HT to have when the power goes out and to wear at Hamfeast then the ADI will do as good as any.  Check out the product reviews here. They are good place to start. Like the other person said be sure and get you one that puts out 5 watts.  A good use one if you can find one is the old Radio Shack HT202 I think was the number. They sale for about $50 or $60 but they are hard to find.  This is the old one. You don't want a new Radio Shack HT because they only put out about a 1/2 watt.  Good Luck WB4QNG  
KE6MIY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2001, 03:32:27 PM »

I agree will one of the other posters: A Radio Shack HTX-202 is a great rig.  Good power out, TOUGH (mine has been dropped more than once!), and relatively inexpensive.  Enough features to be useful but not so many as to be hard to use.  73, Dave
KB3GLE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2001, 09:06:28 AM »

I don't know if they're still in stock or not, but a few months ago I puicked up an Alinco DJ-195 from Radio Shack on sale for $99.  Great little HT at an even better price.  They didn't have them brick-and-mortar, you had to get them online.
73s,
KB3GLE/Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: