Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need new dual band HT  (Read 650 times)
NH6FA

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2001, 06:06:50 PM »

I've been away from ham radio for about 10 years and I have decided to get active again.  My old Santec     ST-200ET 2m HT(brick)just doesn't cut it anymore.  I need some advice on buying a new dual band HT, but don't have the time to wade thought all the (new to me)information.  I just need a basic radio that scans the 2M and 440 bands, tells me how much battery power I have left, etc, etc.  Nothing fancy, and in a price range that will keep my wife happy!!  Any help will be greatly apprecated.  

Thanks.
                 Gerry Gaines NH6FA
WB5DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2001, 09:40:33 PM »

Hi Gerry

I just replaced my old htx202 (another old brick, but a good one) with Kenwood's THG71A.  The reviews found on this site are near 5.0.  I visited with a few hames locally who have the unit and they were very pleased.  The ergonomics are excellent.  You can download the manual from Kenwood's site and review its functions.  I got mine from GigaParts for $245 (delivered!).  I subsequently bought a hand mic and the alkaline battery pack (which, in hind-sight, I would have passed up).  Now I need to find a good dual band ht antenna (sma connector).  Hope this helps  73, Bill WB5DX
NH6FA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2001, 11:30:43 PM »

Bill, thanks for the info on the Kenwood THG71A, I'll check it out.  Gerry  NH6FA
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2001, 10:57:36 PM »

I also own a G71 and would highly recommend it.  I've owned several HTs and the G71 is at the top of the bunch for ease of use and quality of performance.  73!
KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2001, 02:02:02 PM »

I've got an Icom W32A and the G71 Kenwood. The Kenwood is subtly "cheaper" in the physical quality department, but the Kenwood is a better RADIO. If you buy the W32, don't forget to buy a wheelbarrow full of batteries to run it on. [8^(
VE2XLT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2001, 11:55:52 PM »

Gerry, I am not using this dualbander...will part for 250$ + 20 for shipping from Montreal....comes with 3 chargers and 3 batteries...MH70 speaker/mike included.
Original Manual too. Have JPG close-up pictures on request.
NH6FA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2001, 11:32:44 PM »

Thanks for the offer on your HT,  I still haven't made up my mind yet.  I was leaning toward a dual bander, but I may just end up buying a 2 meter HT.  Gerry.
W4KSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2001, 09:03:03 AM »

I also have the TH-G71A. The W32 is good also, but I would recommend that you get rid of the nicad battery, and get a couple of NiMH batteries. The W32 eats batteries. The G-71 has good battery life, and has excellent audio, and sensitivity. Only drawback is the protective case. It's a wrap-around held with velco. It's made for all betteries that the G-71 uses. To change the battery, I have to remove the belt clip. Minor annoyance, but worth it to protect the radio. I was lucky to get the programming cable. HRO had the last one. The S/RF display doubles as a battery life meter. To Bill WB5DX, the Comet SMA-3 is an excellent antenna. 73/Mark/W4KSR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: