Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco DJ-5GTH vs. Kenwood TH-79AKSS  (Read 463 times)
W5REW

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2001, 01:47:13 PM »

I am looking for my first full power HT dual band and debating between these two radios.  Does anyone have any first hand experience with either and would share their experiences.  Thanks and 73's.

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2001, 06:35:08 PM »

check them out (and others) in the review forum
here at eham.net

arrl.org may also have some reviews on these radios.

73 murray
KA1SLG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2001, 10:42:22 AM »

I have dj-5gth and it is a nice little HT. Easy to program, comfortable audio output and good output power. It does however have a fairly high power consumption level, about 80 mA, so you only get about 6.5 hours of listening time out of it with a standard 9.6v battery. I find the layout of the call channels, and vfo modes a little confusing but I mostly operate the HT in memory channel mode.
N6EG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2002, 03:14:35 AM »

Unfortunately, Kenwood has discontinued the TH-79AKSS.  You'll have to call around to hopefully find one in someone's remaining stock.  They're going fast.  They're running about $370 new.  BTW, I have 2 of them.  The TH-79 has dual VFOs which give true full duplex capability as well as the ability to cross-band repeat.  You can run VHF/UHF, VHF/VHF, UHF/VHF or UHF/UHF.  So if you like to do satellite work, this is a great radio.  I don't think any other HT out there can do that, except for maybe the Icom IC-W32A (which was also discontinued recently by Icom).

If you do the MARS/CAP mod, it will receive AM air band freqs (down to 118.000) and goes up to 469.995MHz.  The downsides are that it's expensive and it only has 80 memory slots.  The split case design can be a problem if you the kind of person that's kind of rough with your radios.  If you ever drop the radio or sit on it when it's in your back pocket, it can cause problems because the battery will cause the radio case to spread and you can get intermittent battery connection problems.  As long as you're careful with it and keep it in a protective case, then it's a fantastic radio.  It looks very cool too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: