Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling old as new  (Read 1064 times)
M0RGJ

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:27:24 AM »

Recently went into my local ham shop (3 months ago)and ordered up an FT450, told that they had none in stock but were expecting a delivery from Yaesu in the next week.
One week later had the phone call, the delivery had arrived, so off I went, handed my cash over and came home a happy chap.
Checked out the serial number and found out that the radio was made two and a half years ago, January 2007!

E-mailed Yaesu U.K. to ask why I got a supposedly new radio two and a half years old and was told-

"It was a brand new unit and up to specification when it left the factory. It had been held in Finished Goods in the factory as a non UK version and when demand for UK versions exceeded capacity, it was configured as a UK version and shipped to the UK at the end of April. We received it in May and shipped it to your local store on 17th June.
AND NO THEY WOULD NOT EXCHANGE IT FOR ONE MADE AT A LATER DATE.
Now, I think this is a cracking little radio and intend to keep it, that said, I am a bit annoyed to think that it has just been sat up naturally decaying for two and a half years before I took possesion of it!

"It had been held in Finished Goods in the factory as a non UK version" WHAT, FOR NEARLY TWO AND A HALF YEARS!
NOT IMPRESSED.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:30:40 AM »

Not at all unusually in many areas besides ham radio. If it hasn't been used by someone then it is considered new even if it has set on a stock shelf somewhere for a long period of time. Commercially I receive "new" electronics all the time that has two year old firmware in it and I have to upgrade it before use.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »

Oh, lord.....

No wonder they are outsourcing our customer service reps overseas.....

If I had to put up with nit-picky stuff like this from customers all day, I'd land up a Prozac candidate....

Unless there was a "quirk" in previously mfg'ed models....who cares?Huh

(And PLEASE don't ANYONE use a car analogy!  It ain't the same.  A "never sold" 2007 would have a ton of consumer test miles on it and would be sold at a clearance price.  The Yaesu has no consumer "test miles"....)
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »

And a slightly different finishing scheme would have had it sitting in stock without yet being fully configured for each market, and they it would have gotten a sticker with the date it was finished out and ready to ship. You've probably bought things with subunits older than that without knowing it.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »

You've probably bought things with subunits older than that without knowing it.
----------------------------------------------------
Interesting point.  There are probably PC boards along with other "plug and play" units inside these rigs that are older than 2007!

In fact, speaker and key jacks might be from 1999!  ;-)

73, Bill
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »

I have gotten bit a few times by unscrupulous retailers selling refurb items as new and in a new box to boot. I simply sent the items back and gotten a refund.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »

It is still new if it has never been opened it is a brand new radio. Who would ever thought about checking the serial number in the first place. I know I would never thought about it. If I bought a new Icom Pro III still on the shelf but the serial No said it was 5 years old it is still new and has manufacture warranty. It' new.    Nit picky Nit picky
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »

Used to be common practice for outfits like "Morris Garage" in the good old days to "promote" unsold vehicles to the next model year.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »

I can see the point here.

A 2-1/2 year-old rig has a 2-1/2 year old memory backup battery in it, which will require replacement sooner than a "new" unit would.  If that's very easy to do, no big deal, but in some rigs this is a major operation.

I would think that under most circumstances when a vendor sells something that old, they'd offer a discount as a courtesy, like an advance apology for the inconvenience of having to service the rig sooner (such as battery replacement).

Surely this is the case with computers!  Any time I find even a one year-old model, I can get a substantial discount to take it off the dealer's hands, even though it's "new" in a factory sealed carton, with the factory warranty based on date of sale and not date of manufacture.
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »

>"it has just been sat up naturally decaying for two >and a half years before I took possesion of it!"

I didn't know electronics goods had a shelf life. Next time I am in a ham shop I will look for the "Sell By" date.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »

Well, **ALL** solid state electronic components don't age and dry out. Some do, especially capacitors but even then you are typically looking at 20 years before most of them become a problem. In two years, the only real significant impact on life might be a memory battery. With the advent of FLASH memory, a lot of equipment is getting away from the battery requirement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: