Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Towers  (Read 4415 times)
KE4RWS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2003, 06:49:24 AM »

So ya got overnight shipping for free, eh?

That wouldn't happen to be because you live so damn close to their location would it?

Naw . . . couldn't be.

Keep on doing business with'em if you like. I personally would NEVER buy anything from them ever again.

Funny how the overwhelming majority say the same thing here. Poor phone service, poor in-store service. That equates to the MAJORITY going elsewhere.

Free overnight shipping . . . give me a friggen break!!
KE5FDW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2006, 08:26:10 PM »

I did not read all the reviews but have read enough to get both sides. Let me give it to you from a local point of view.
First, Texas Towers is located in Plano, TX. Plano is a northern suburb of Dallas. Texas Towers is the ONLY ham radio retailer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. With Texas state sales tax at over 8% (and climbing), the joke among hams in the D/FW area is that Texas Towers is a great place to get ham books. Period. I have never met a local ham who bought a rig of any kind from Texas Towers...although I'm sure there are some, I've just never met them.
Most hams I know in the D/FW area get their rigs and hardware from HRO and other out-of-state retailers for several reasons, the biggest being to avoid state sales tax. But a close second is because Texas Towers has a "snob factor" when you call but I kind of expect that knowing who and where they are. It has been my experience that if you are not talking about spending, at least, $500 within the first 5 seconds on the phone, they usually do not want to talk to you. This is not a complaint, it has just been my experience. I have bought rigs from FL to CA and the difference in the way I was treated by other retailers compared to Texas Towers was like night and day.
I'm not a member of a local ham club but I talk to quite a few members of local clubs and word is that Texas Towers is burning whatever local bridges it had worse this year than any other by not showing up to the biggest hamfest in Texas every year...and it's only been 25 miles from them in Arlington in recent years. This year, from what I've heard, the Texas Hamfest will be in PLANO and Texas Towers still does not plan to be there.
And finally, I don't know how some reviewers have found Texas Towers prices competitive. They have the best website of any ham retailer but the highest prices. I always go to the TT website to research an item first because it's always easy to find...then I compare with others and TT's prices are higher 98% of the time. And I'm going to pay state sales tax on top of that? And be made to feel lucky I had the honor of doing business with them? Right!
Again, I give Texas Towers credit for having the best ham retail website anywhere. HRO has the worst...but I buy from HRO. It's nothing personal, but it is an unfortunate fact...and I'm not alone around here. The way customers are treated makes a big difference regardless of location. 73
N5WRX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2006, 09:39:24 AM »

Hi Hi ... this thread is really funny.

First off the guy shops around for the lowest price.
What ?  
No loyality to the last business he purchased radio stuff from?
Or perhaps this was his first purchase ever.

Then expects TT to overnight a replacement radio when he finds his has a defect.
I doubt ANY dealer would have done that.
So off he goes all puffed up at TT when it is really just a case of bad luck.

His imaturity is obvious by the fact he had to have his new toy as soon as possable.

What do you think he will do next time ... shop around for the lowest price or be loyal to the dealer he spent the $2000 with?

Like I said this thread is funny!
N9BC

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2006, 03:39:20 PM »

First off. Shopping around for a good price is a good thing. Do you not shop around when you are buying a car?

I do buy other equipment from the other ham outlets like HRO "which is where I bought my ProII and uhf/vhf antennas",AES where I bought my TS-2000. Both places I'm very very happy with. Actauly I the manager at AES what would he have done if this happened to me if I bought it from them. He said he would have sent it back overnight he also said he might not make much money on this purchase but he will keep me coming back to buy more.

By the way thanks for pointing out that I'm imature.

N9BC
N7WSB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »

The way it works btw (and a lot of retailers can do this!) is they put the new radio (or whatever) on credit hold, ship it and if they don't get the old radio back they bill the buyer for both radios. And having worked in a retail shop btw - I can tell you they ARE NOT paying that much for shipping so no - they didn't make a good business decision no matter how you look at it. It wasn't their fault any of this stuff went bad, but they could have certainly tried harder to make the customer happy - and who knows they could have made a new customer in the process through word of mouth. Ask Sears of all people how much it costs to make a new customer (they spent a lot of time and money quantifying this actually) - its quite expensive, and it's in any businesses best interest to do what is reasonably possible to make the customer happy - and from what I've read they could have done this easily without spending hardly any money.

Cross-shipping is really no skin off TT's bottom line, they can ship out the new radio while waiting for the old one and everyone is happy and if they don't get the old radio back - well they have the customers credit authorization (which you have to agree to before cross shipping) and they make another sale automatically. Sounds like honestly they need a new business manager who understands how accounting and credit works...
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 01:05:05 PM »

I have not dealt with them in years, but I remember ordering a 756PRO from them several years ago and paid top dollar for it.  When it arrived I noticed that the packaging looked like someone had the radio out of the box before I did.  Probably a re-pack.  The radio worked fine for the time I had it.  If it's a re-pack the least they could do is let the purchaser know.
NC7M

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »

I bought tower items, insulators and guy wire performs, the items were very very will packaged and the order was accurate. Texas Towers is OK in my book.  73 Marc NC7M
K2CBM

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »

I have nothing to say except good service from Texas Towers. I received a damaged power supply from Texas Towers. They promptly sent out a replacement, and paid for the shipping both ways. I am very satisfied with their service.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »

I bought my tower (Universal) from Texas Towers. They took the order and called back with the shipping information. Took great care to explain the shipping procedure and to make sure they had the right phone numbers for the time of day it would arrive so the driver could call when he got into the area and how to inspect the shipment while the truck was still there. They touched all the bases to make it go smoothly. Not everyone does.
TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »

The few times I bought from them they were okay. The guy that works there, K5BOI reminds me of Mr. Haney on the old TV show Green Acres. Talks and acts just like him. So, you get a little free entertainment when he\'s there.

Seriously, since they are local, I only buy from them if it\'s something I think I have to have right away, and they have it at the store. Otherwise, I shop HRO, because as far as "one stop shopping" they have a large inventory, and I like that kind of convenience.

DX Engineering is another fine outfit with great service for special things others may not have.

I believe TT prices are about the same as most unless you buy local to them and have to pay TX state sales tax.

TT is alright by me.

W3VR
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 12:44:10 PM »

The Original Poster is upset because TT would not front the money for overnight shipping. Where does the OP get off thinking that TT is obligated to pay overnight shipping just to satisy his impatience? I've never heard of any company footing the bill for overnight shipping. That is a Luxury that the buyer ALWAYS pays for. The OP's life isn't going to end because the radio took two or three extra days to get there. This thread was amusing to read the temper tantrum. Patience, young grasshopper.
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »

Some hams can be odd ducks.

I was in the HRO Burbank store and a customer was looking at an HT on display. He says "I'll take it,
what all does it come with?" The salesman took a brand new box  off the shelf behind him (there was a stack of about 10 of them). He lifted the lid of the box and showed it to the customer so he could see the radio, antenna, battery, charger & manual were there. The customer says "OK". The salesman closes the box and walks toward the register. Then the customer said "Wait, I don't want THAT one! I want a different one, I want one that hasn't been opened!". Uh, the first one was brand new and just had the box lid opened for 15-20 seconds to check the contents were there! Very strange.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: