Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Towers  (Read 4315 times)
W1WWJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2002, 02:39:03 PM »

I have to tell you guys based on the information contained in these posts, I decided to make my $1300+ purchase from TT.  Its nice to know there are companies like TT who will help you work things out (within reason).  Just the fact that they exchanged your radio for free instead of making you send it back to ICOM for "repairs" indicates to me they care. 73's
KC1XU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2002, 04:24:03 PM »

TT DID agree to replace the rig at no cost.  They just didn't want to eat the overnight express shipping.  I don't blame them. They probably don't have $45 of net margin in the radio.  They then have to ship it back to Icom (at their cost) and Icom is going to charge them the shipping to send them a replacement.  They have lost money already!
Keith
K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2002, 10:52:08 PM »

Every top gun operator I know has had at least one bad experience with Texas Towers.  This ham does business with local store HRO (Anaheim) and AES (Las Vegas).  
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2002, 03:44:01 PM »

Let me see if I have this straight:  hams are dumb and disloyal, impatient and cheap, and anyone who expects decent customer service just "doesn't understanding business"??

While perception often equals reality, just because your Swan transceiver never drifts, your Pinto never blew up, your Enron investment paid off handsomely, and Texas Towers has always treated you like a prince, doesn't mean others' experiences aren't in sharp contrast to yours.

For many of us, the behavior we have experienced from the folks at Texas Towers compares unfavorably with that of other Amateur Radio retailers (and businesses in general).

Yes, some customers do have unrealistic expectations (a radio below cost, with free shipping...and a puppy), and some folks can never be pleased, but this doesn't mean that TT has no history--albeit one YOU may never have experienced--of erratic, rude and short-sighted behavior.  The expectation of good customer relations is not unrealistic.

I re-reiterate:  review the other TT stories published elsewhere in the CompanyReviews Forum.  Not all the "horror stories" are posted by the dumb, the cheap, the impatient, or the disloyal.

de K5IQ
NG3J

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2002, 12:20:14 AM »

Amen to K5IQ!
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2002, 05:33:09 PM »

Clearly my previous post should have read:

...who expects decent customer service just "doesn't understand business"

and NOT

...who expects decent customer service just "doesn't understanding business"

Sorry 'bout dat!
W4ETN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2002, 03:26:45 PM »

Several years ago I purchased an FT-1000D and a couple of weeks ago an IC-706MKIIG from TT.   I have never had a problem with them.  They have the best prices.  I got the IC-706MKIIG for $839.00 Most places it's still $899.00
I don't know what the rush was that you would spend all that money for shipping because you wanted it in a hurry, well that's your problem not TT's. HRO, AES & TT make most of their sales by mail order so you can avoid sales tax.  If I had purchased the 706 from HRO in Georgia I would have paid $899.00 plus 6% sales tax.
TT is just fine in my book...   Best 73  Bob
W4ETN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2002, 03:32:07 PM »

Several years ago I purchased an FT-1000D and a couple of weeks ago an IC-706MKIIG from TT.   I have never had a problem with them.  They have the best prices.  I got the IC-706MKIIG for $839.00 Most places it's still $899.00
I don't know what the rush was that you would spend all that money for shipping because you wanted it in a hurry, well that's your problem not TT's. HRO, AES & TT make most of their sales by mail order so you can avoid sales tax.  If I had purchased the 706 from HRO in Georgia I would have paid $899.00 plus 6% sales tax.
TT is just fine in my book...   Best 73  Bob
WB5MXO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2002, 01:09:54 AM »

If you think TT is bad on the Phone, you shud visit the store sometime. Rudeness is the key and no information about their products the rule.
They are the Best Buy of HAM radio.
KA1KJZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2002, 03:48:39 PM »

STILL AT IT WITH CREDITCARDFRAUDOPHOBIA!

I just tried to drop a couple hundred dollars at TT, but since my neighborhood doesnt have RFD (Rural Free Delivery = Mailmen) i MUST BE HIDING SOMETHING BEHIND MY PO BOX!!!!

This is the ---ONLY--- company where this has been an issue.  And I mean ONLY, ever, not one other company has had a problem with shipping to another address, never ever.

After telling them what I thought of this policy, I said i will do all future business elsewhere.

VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET FOLKS!
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2002, 11:05:00 AM »

Texas Towers sounds like a big operation on the phone. Go down there and find it's a hole in the wall operating on the slimmest of costs. They are pricks on the phone and if you bother to go down there on a visit like I did they will be glad to be pricks to you in person no problem.

I've never sent them another nickel. Send your money to Burghardt.

Bob KA0MR
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2002, 09:04:17 AM »

As one who has not only purchased products from Texas Towers, visited their store, and worked in the amateur industry since 1984, I would like to add a comment on this thread. Although I respect those who voice complaints with Texas Towers, I have not had any negative experiences with them.  In fact, recently I ordered some 2" O.D. (0.25" wall) hard drawn aluminum tubing stock.  Unfortunately, they shipped 0.125" wall stock.  A quick call, and the return of the incorrect item, and the correct item was on its way - and, no charge for shipping.  This is responsive customer service.  I must add:  I never take an adversarial approach when working with a dealer or manufacturer.  Generally speaking, you are treated as you treat others! In my nearly 20 years of working in the amateur industry (either in publishing or manufacturing), I have noted that we hams are very "Scotch" when disbursing funds for new acquisitions!  Due to the general weakness in the ham market, and severe dealer competition, most dealers are only working very small margins, some as low as 2 to 3% depending on the product sold.  So, don't ask for free shipping when net profit on a sale is very low to begin with. Interestingly, our company also sells products to commercial and government customers.  Our Customer Service load is almost non-existent with either of those customer demographics; however, our Amateur Product sales require significant "hand holding" with the customer.  Interesting . . .   the bottom line is this, don't always look for the best price.  If you have a local dealer, support him or her.  Yes, you may have to pay state/local taxes, but at least you can easily return the item should there be a problem, and you have a better than average chance of having respectable customer service.

Tnx,
Don W9CW
CRBOWERS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2003, 09:46:48 PM »

I've never actually purchased a radio from TT, but I have been to their store and they were very informative and polite. As far as the origonal complaint, the way I see it is that he wanted TT to overnight him a new one while he overnighted them the defective unit. It is smart on TT's part to wait to receive and assess the damaged unit before they send a replacement.
K4MT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2003, 11:44:36 AM »

I started a thread 2 or more years ago about these people (still active I might add).

It looks like they will never get the point.  It doesn't matter if you sell highball or lowball. The basics of sound business state that customers are your bread and butter and your reputation brings back repeat customers, your most valuable asset in business.

It seems that a company with an owner that constantly complains about his financial condition and low margins, using that as an excuse for poor customer service is self defeating! I guess maybe someone with a "buy it somewhere else if you don't like it" attitude (yes he told me that), is so wealthy that lost customers will not hurt his business.

So it seems the issue here is not lowball, highball, customer loyalty or lack of (remember he doesn't care), but simply someone who obviously has lost touch with the basics of good sound business. THE CUSTOMER COMES FIRST! I would hope they read these posts and realize what public opinion has been saying. If I owned a business and saw negative posts like these I would make immediate changes to my operation. Of couse this only applies if you care!

Check the posts about other companies, and examples of what customer service is all about. There are ham dealers out there that care about service and that is who you should buy from!
AD5GX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2003, 08:59:40 AM »

I used to live in Oklahoma City. My first experience with TT was odering a 746 the Tuesday before Thanksgiving via standard shipping.

To my wife's consternation, the radio arrived in one day!  (Of course I had to play with it on Thanksgiving.)  Shipping from TT to anywhere on the I-35 corridor up to Oklhoma City is overnight by default!

I always used TT for that very reason--I got overnight shipping for absolutely no extra charge!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: