Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT'S NEW KENWOOD? LOL  (Read 29449 times)
K4LED

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 06:12:20 AM »

First - the AM sensitivity can be increased with a simple modification that is very easy to do but requires technical skills many commenting here may not have.  The modification is simply the clipping of a wire.  How many people really need high AM sensitivity?   Second - The TS-2000 performs great on all modes on all bands in one box.  The DSP capability - if one knows how to use it - is wonderful.  Most of the negative comments here about Kenwood probably come from folks that won't or can't read the manual or have never touched a Kenwood and they don't know how to operate sophisticated electronic equipment. The new look of the TS-2000 was on purpose to call attention to the fact that it was different from other rigs. It is a great rig.  Now I could bash the other mfrs but I would rather find the POSITIVE things in life and accentuate them.  Heavens knows there is too much un-educated negative conversation in the world already.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 07:44:30 AM »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I like my TS-480HX.  It takes up very little room on my desktop and has performed flawlessly for me during the two and a half years I've used it.  It will put out a solid 200 watts (which I practically never use) and runs very cool at 100. I operate mostly on digital modes with occasional forays into CW and SSB.  I could care less what it sounds like on AM.  

I wonder whether coming out with a new HF rig every few months represents a triumph of marketing strategy over genuine engineering improvement and innovation.
N8OXC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 07:53:01 AM »

Kenwood announced at Dayton this last weekend a new rig coming in 2010. From the info. I was able to pry out of one of the reps was: It will be replacing the 480 series, (the 2k will still be the top of the KW line) and he agreed with my question of it being more like the 570 radio. He claimed not to know of the design elements. (i.e. if-dsp, 200w pa, price point, etc.) I guess we'll see!
N3JLO

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »

The Kenwood Rep I talked to basically said the new radio will be like a TS-570S, with roofing filters and 6 meters. No high end rig planned is my guess.
AB7Q

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »

Many interesting comments on Kenwood here. No, the TS-2000 it is not an attractive radio, but I have warmed up to mine quite a bit. I helped the situation by selling my standard 2000 and picking up an LE, in the black cabinet. I took that plunge because I consider the radio a keeper. It still amazes me how people compare the HF side of the radio with the top of the line rigs from others. No, it is not on par with the best out there, but it is a good radio all around and nothing to date can touch the capabilities of a TS-2000. Mine serves as primary VHF/UHF and backup on HF. Clearly the radio is a winner. Kenwood has sold many and has been profitable doing so. 10 years and counting. It is now the most reviewed radio on Eham and pulling away. Kenwood is in business to make money, and they are producing what they know will sell. Yes, I would also like to see a big "flagship", TS-970s,state of the art HF rig, or an all mode mobile VHF/UHF rig. The trouble is that there is not much return on investment there for Kenwood, especially now, and they are a diversified company. If we want more radios to choose from, we need to be a bigger market. Another good reason to promote radio in your home town!
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »

KEN WHO?

CLAYTON
W4KVW
K7AAB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 04:33:23 PM »

Actually it isn\'t a replacement for the TS-480, it is not the size for a mobile rig. It is comparable to the 480 as far as performance. The new rig is contest class radio. You can see the new Kenwood rig as the shell of it was on display at the Tokyo electronics fair and is on the YouTube website on video. They also have a very nice looking GPS enabaled handheld being offered in 2010 they show as well as an updated D710 mobile data rig.
WA9Z

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 02:40:33 PM »

In the Land Mobile market, Kenwood products have caught up to, and in many instances surpassed the reliability and quality of Motorola. In many public safety pools, Kenwood is the communication platform of choice. They achieved this feat by focusing closely to market, and loosening its bond to cheap, whining hams. Kenwood to date, has refrained to take advantage of the fact that ham radio is an economy driven hobby, and hams by and large, are driven to purchase chiefly by aesthetic presentation, with little or no understanding of what constitutes a quality product. To that end, they are missing a golden opportunity.
Jim Warner
WA9Z
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 05:29:13 PM »

"and hams by and large, are driven to purchase chiefly by aesthetic presentation, with little or no understanding of what constitutes a quality product."

I sell a lot of my products to the ham radio market. Not going to mention what as it's not important, but I can say one thing, I strongly disagree with the above statement. If anything it's just the opposite, yes they are looking for value as well but who the hell isn't? I have spoken with ham radio suppliers in other countries and they have told me if you sell rubbish to the ham market you will not be in business very long.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »

I think it would be great if Kenwood would come out with a new HF rig but i wont hold my breath. They used to make some of the BEST HF rigs of all time. I.E. Kenwood TS 520, 820, 530, 830, 930, 570, and on and on. Now they are a mere skeleton of themselves. The Ts 2000 is getting long in the tooth and IMHO is ugly as a mud fence. I know a lot of hams that have the 2000 but i dont like it.
N1OU

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »

A lot of interesting thoughts and opinions so I'll add another:

The research and development costs of a "mega-rig" like the big Yaesu and Icom boxes now highly promoted are significant budget items for even a large corporation and have to be recouped.  Add to this that the ham marketplace is pretty small -- about 600 thousand in the U.S. and maybe a couple of million world-wide -- and you get a long pay-back time on the investment.  After all, radios that cost $7,000 and up don't exactly hop off the shelf in large numbers.

Rumors abound that Kenwood will come up with a "big rig", but I think they've decided to stay in the middle and lower price ranges and off the bleeding edge.  Most of the current Kenwood rigs get excellent reviews here and in the press.  As a strategy, this is sometimes called using a "cash cow".  They are still in the market, but have purposely chosen not to lead it.

Gordon, N1OU
W2YM

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2010, 01:57:08 PM »

Ric, I just bought a TS-480HX radio and for a mobile it is GREAT. I wish Icom would come out with a 200 watt mobile rig but right now they don't have one.  Yes, I think I know what you are saying when it come's to a BIG Kenwood rig.  You want Kenwood to come out with a radio like the IC-7800 or the FTdx-9000.  That would be great and from what I am hearing late 2010 or early 2011 they are suppose have a BIG radio.
AC8DC

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »

Keep an eye open for a new "medium" size Kenwood rig next month with some high performing DSP functions. Smiley

Chris
ac8dc

Chris, AC8DC
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »

Way back when the TS-2000 first came out I was working
part time for a ham retailer. Kenwood invited a bunch of
"industry people" to a reception/demonstration/question & answer
free booze & hor d'oeuvres presentation. The designers of the rig came
all the way from Japan for this tour.

Even back then,  people were more interested in, and
asked several times; "When is Kenwood coming out
with a new competition class HF rig?". 

Face it, they aren't. Get over it. The Kenwood Amateur Radio Division
is very small compared to that of Vertex/Yaesu's & Icom's.
They have *chosen* to stay out of the super high end
HF rig market.

I am NOT anti-Kenwood, just the opposite. I absolutely
love my 940S. Sure, I have more modern radios now, but
it was my only HF rig for a long time. It's been to Africa
and back with me and through thick and thin and never even
the slighest hint of a hickup.
AC8DC

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »

Hopefully Toshio Torii will be attending Dayton presenting the new mid class rig. I'm sure he was one of the Kenwood JP people that you met Ken. I've known him to be involved with the 480, 570, 850, 870, 950 and 2000 series. If there, I will ask him if there is a possibility of a high end radio. 

chris
ac8dc

Chris, AC8DC
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: