Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT'S NEW KENWOOD? LOL  (Read 28813 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »

I just bought my first piece of Kenwood equipment in many years... and it's rated for 1500 watts... all day!

It's a Kenwood electric oil filled space heater. $37 a Home Depot. Bet it would make a nice dummy load as well.

W8JJI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »

The TS 480's and TS 2000 Are without a doubt the most UGLY looking HF radios ever made.

The AM receive on the TS 480 's is TOO WIDE.

Otherwise their specs are fine, great noise blanker on the 480's.

As far as the appearence of these radios goes, I think that the bulbus faceplates and big-rounded corner radius , curved button row crap needs to go. This kind of appearence makes the radios look "cheap", I mean like, "I bought it at a department store, cheap".

They need to pick up were the TS-870 left off but encorperate I.F. DSP, Improved selectivity and make use of a real ANALOG (mechanical) S-meter.
KD8KBW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 06:01:35 AM »

Sorry OP, I actually like the appearance of the Kenwood TS-2000. All those buttons to push and knobs to fondle! But, what do I know, I'm new to ham? To each his own!

Actually, I have the general /ag now and am in the market for an HF rig, this TS-2000 radio is one I've been considering. I've a Yaesu HT VX-170 2 meter and have been leaning toward a Yaesu FT-897D for a first HF rig, but appearance is not necessarily all that important.

One of the guys at the club had a TS-2000 set up, I didn't touch or "FONDLE" it, but, I did think the sound was good, meaning, it must have good noise rejection.

So, if not a Kenwood, what would be a good rig that does the same things for something in that price range? How is the ICOM IC-7000 look? ICOM's look to be well built and possibly easier for an old guy to figure out how to use. I'm disabled and have to watch the $$$$$ as it is limited. XYL works, but I support my own hobbies, wouldn't think of asking her to do that.
K1XV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »

The TS-2000 always reminds me of the nose of a Chrysler PT Cruiser.
KS4HY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »

My favorite description of the TS-2000 came from the news groups.  Someone said it looked like Kenwood stuck it in an oven and heated it up until the face started to melt off.  Ha ha.

If Kenwood comes out with a new HF rig I hope it has a more cosmetically appealing appearance. Even the CB manufactures eventually figured out the "classic look" sold more radios. The Kenwood TS-940s was one of the best looking HF rigs ever made.  The Kenwood ts-480 is one of the ugliest.

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »

K6AER mentioned that kenwood is concentrating on VHF/UHF gear. I wish that someone would put out a VHF/UHF mobile sized rig that does SSB and CW in addition to FM! Sure, there are a few HF+6+2+70cm's out there by icom and yaesu but it would be nice to see some smaller mobile sized vhf/uhf gear that does ssb/cw for roving. It will never happen, but would be nice.

Sad to see Kenwood not doing much exciting in the HF gear.
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »

KH4SY"The TS-480 sucks on AM receive, but then again so does every other Kenwood radio I have ever owned."

The TS_480 sucks on every mode, and I'm a Kenwood guy. But have you ever listened to AM on a TS-940?
And you say is sucks? Pray tell me, then what rig in your infinite wisdom IS the ultimate AM receive rig?
WD4MTW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »

Kenwood's been quite busy developing a new and compact SSB transceiver. 7" x 10 3/4" x 2 1/4", 100W, 300 alphanumeric memories.

http://international.kenwoodusa.com/Brochures/tk90_k.pdf
K9JDK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 12:17:41 PM »

At the AES Superfest last weekend, I asked the Kenwood rep what's new?  He said they are indeed working on new stuff and will bring several new products to market in 2010.  He also said that Kenwood **almost** went out of business a few years ago but things are much better now, thus the new products being worked on.

Stay tuned.
N4BFD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 10:19:28 PM »

I hope so, I am sitting here right now listening to a TS-830s on 40 meters, I love the sound of this rig and It will have to be pried from my cold dead hands at the nursing home some day, though hopefully not soon as I am only 35...
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 09:07:50 AM »

You can get parts.  I bought some parts using the website.  They got a third party parts jobber "PacParts, Inc." that handles parts.  

Repairs handled well too, though a bit expensive but oh well.  

I like my THf6, Ts2000X, Ts570 and my old TS830. So I don't see what the big deal is.  

Why do you think 2000 is ugly?  It DOES THE JOB very well!  ITs NOT a beauty contest.  

To you Moan and complain guys, go buy Ten Tec or Elecraft, or Collins, and quit whining. It's a free country, go buy what YOU  like.  I like my Kenwoods Thank You.  Nuff already.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »

Reply to W7AIT
You are wrong Looks is everything when it comes to radio.  Electronically all the major manufactures make excellent radios. So that is not a issue. But looks are. The TS-2000 and the TS-480 are as ugly as ugly can get. I wouldn't have one in the shack. And I like Kenwood. I hope Kenwood comes to it senses and comes out with a nice HF rig soon. By that I mean a square shaped  radio a flat face. The TS-2000 and  lack of a new HF rig over the last few years has caused ill reversible damage to the company. When the subject comes up during QSO's most will agree it lacks eye appeal, even to those who own one. The TS-2000 has what I want in a HF rig. It a daylight to dark radio.

I have owned the Kenwood HF rigs. TS-530, TS-830, TS-130, TS-180, TS-430, TS-570-S,  
I have owned the Kenwood VHF rigs. TM-201, TS-751, TS-711, TS-790
But until they come out with a decent looking radio I will go with Icom
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »

CAN you say,"AM-FM STEREO,CD & MP3 PLAYER?That is where they make their MONEY & NOT in ham radio!That has ALWAYS been their largest market & ham radio will NEVER replace that.If they relied upon ham radio for them to survive they would be seeking a BAILOUT from KING OBAMA as well or more than likely FOLDED years ago.It may not make you happy but sometimes the TRUTH hurts.I think IF they ever plan upon making a SERIOUS HF rig it will be AFTER cycle 24 FINALLY get up & going IF it EVER DOES but NOT a chance before that. The NEW will be worn off of the NEW TOYS & there will NOT be a mad rush for the MUST HAVE KENWOOD so many have waited for now for so MANY LONG YEARS & of course you can NOT work the NEW cycle on a OLD rig when that NEW TOY is calling YOUR CALL SIGN every time you see the picture of one! }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
KS4HY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 05:49:32 AM »

>>RE: WHAT'S NEW KENWOOD? LOL       Reply
>>by 5R8GQ on March 29, 2009    Mail this to a friend!
>>KH4SY"The TS-480 sucks on AM receive, but then again >>so does every other Kenwood radio I have ever owned."

> 5R8GQ wrote...
>The TS_480 sucks on every mode, and I'm a Kenwood guy. >But have you ever listened to AM on a TS-940?
>And you say is sucks? Pray tell me, then what rig in >your infinite wisdom IS the ultimate AM receive rig?

I have never owned an TS-940s, but I the AM sensitivity is listed as 2uV at 10db S+N/N ratio in the TS-940s owner's manual.  Pretty deaf.  Even the average U.S. CB radio has an AM sensitivity of 0.5 uV at 10 db S+N/N ratio.  I do own a Kenwood TS-450sat and a TS-850sat.  Nice radios on sideband, but very noisy and a little deaf on AM.

If I had to pick the best AM Ham receiver I have owned I would have to say the Drake R4-B receiver.

KS4HY

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »

>RE: WHAT'S NEW KENWOOD? LOL  Reply  
by KS4HY on May 5, 2009  Mail this to a friend!  
>>RE: WHAT'S NEW KENWOOD? LOL Reply
>>by 5R8GQ on March 29, 2009 Mail this to a friend!
>>KH4SY"The TS-480 sucks on AM receive, but then again >>so does every other Kenwood radio I have ever owned."

> 5R8GQ wrote...
>The TS_480 sucks on every mode, and I'm a Kenwood guy. >But have you ever listened to AM on a TS-940?
>And you say is sucks? Pray tell me, then what rig in >your infinite wisdom IS the ultimate AM receive rig?

I have never owned an TS-940s, but I the AM sensitivity is listed as 2uV at 10db S+N/N ratio in the TS-940s owner's manual. Pretty deaf. Even the average U.S. CB radio has an AM sensitivity of 0.5 uV at 10 db S+N/N ratio. I do own a Kenwood TS-450sat and a TS-850sat. Nice radios on sideband, but very noisy and a little deaf on AM.

If I had to pick the best AM Ham receiver I have owned I would have to say the Drake R4-B receiver.

KS4HY<

::That's interesting and probably because the R-4B has *no* crystal filters at all, and just uses tuned circuits for IF  selectivity, which allows for a very broad response when using it for AM BC reception.

The raeason the more modern transceivers are "deaf" on AM (for broadcast reception) is they intentionally switch in a 20 dB attenuator (which cannot be operator overridden, it's part of the inherent design) to prevent BC overload on the 160m ham band.  The lack of sensitivity is designed in, purposely, and 99% of us appreciate that.

WB2WIK/6  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: