Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT 8100R Problems?  (Read 4743 times)
KB4AWY

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2000, 11:23:47 AM »

I have 8100 plagued with problems. Currently no receive audio, no RF out, RF getting back in rig before rig died. Receiver leaves a lot to be desired. Anyone with same or similar problems or others that I have forgotten or left out? Please answer......Rick
W2QOB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2000, 10:05:37 PM »

Rick,
I was having similar problems with my 8100, and finally traced it to the CTCSS decode board.  See if removing the board solves the problem, then when you reinstall it be sure to put it in JUST the way the book says to.  It seems that if it lays on the wrong component, the rig freaks out.  Good luck!

John W2QOB
w2qob@amsat.org
KB4AWY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2000, 09:24:10 AM »

Hi everyone! Rick here, the originator of this listing. I sent the 8100 off to California for repair. I sent it on Sept. 14, 2000, got a telephone call it was fixed on the 22nd of September. After a couple of very truthful e-mails to Yaesu somehow they got my radio in for repair before the 6 week turnaround time that the told a friend of mine about his rig. Makes you wonder doesn't it? They knew exaclty what was wrong and they 'aint tellin'! They told me all they had to do was align the recieve and transmit. haha That is funny! There was no 13.8V getting to any of the 13.8V circuits. (Except for the cord inside the unit where it was soldered to the board.) I will keep everyone posted when the rig gets back as to what they really did to the rig to get it talking again. I did the alignment procedure before I sent it. THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM! THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR E-MAILS TO ME SHARING YOUR PROBLEMS AND IDEAS TO FIX THE UNIT. THANKS.......Rick
KF4JKQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2000, 08:56:39 AM »

i own two 8100r. both have been repaired by the company. I have one that has no face lights, and the other when keying up on two meters side scrambles the screen and goes black. I have spent too much money to
repair. so i have chose to replace them with another radio and sale them as is. also when the radio get warm , it make funny noises. I like the radio, but the problems the radio has and yaesu not wanted to fix or replace would keep me from buying any other yaesu equiment again. anyone buying one be ware they do have problems. the 440 side went out last time and time before that no audio. after spend 3 month with out the radio they fixed it. i have spent over $400 on repair and shipping. thanks. tbabb
K4NGJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2000, 01:42:43 PM »

Rick, Do you know where your original listing was at? I had put a reply in but cannot find it now.  Thanks
KG4CLD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2001, 05:34:36 PM »

Well I guess that means I wont be buying an FT-8100R !!!    

Thanks for the update guys.
N3ZOC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 10:05:22 PM »

My Yaseu FT-8100R has the following troubles:
1.  Rx audio intermittently jumps up/down in volume.
2.  DTMF does not operate.
3.  Right hand band switch inoperative (can only switch from VHF to UHF by the mic function button)and thus cannot disable UHF during power-up).
4.  UHF sometimes at ear-splitting volume and volume control has no effect.
5.  A few reports on VHF of no transmission heard by other ops (must be intermittent also).
I have disconnected and removed the CTCSS Decode board and that had no effect.
I did a power-up reset to Factory Default and also no change to the problems.
Can anyone recommend a repair facility or should I bite the bullet on this?
KA8TOK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »

Here is one for ya.  if you have the mars/cap mod done.  Set the VHF side to 175.000 recieve.  then program 440.100 on the other side.  does your radio go into transmit on the 440 side?  Mine does even without the mic attached.

never heard of this before on any radio just receiving.  No crossband repeat is not in opertaion.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »

>> ... I guess that means I wont be buying an FT-8100R ...

Why anyone would purchase a 12-15-year-old rig and expect no problems is beyond me ... (grin)

No current support ... parts availability a problem ... finding anyone to servie it a problem ...

Their current FTM-350AR is amazing. Kenwood also has their TH-V71a and TM-D710a units for fans of the old '8100R ...

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »

I have owned an FT-8100 since they first came out. It is a miserable radio! Mine has been back to Yaesu during warranty. More recently to MTS service. In between those times I have had every documented problem with it that there is!! Most I could repair myself. It works ok for now and is in the shack rather than the mobile. I like it when it works but wouldn't wish one on anyone.
The FT-8100 user group is here;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ft8100yaesu/?yguid=254630330
There is a lot of good info there about the FT-8100 that you will likely need sooner or later!
Some of the documented repair mods are not difficult.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: