Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese VHF/UHF Radios  (Read 29073 times)
NQ3RP

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »

Remember a few years ago and what we said about those Japanese radios?  How they would never match the quality of our US made brand XXXX or YYYY?  Well now look at the market.  Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu are the market but here comes Wouxun, Puxing, Weierwei and others.  Quality ~not~ quite there but still for the price (isn't that how the Japanese did it?) you get quite a radio.  If you get one that works for more than 3 months it is a good radio.  So what do you think?  Are they the next great radios to have?  I have a Wouxun KG-UVD1P and it's a great little radio I think.

73-
John
NQ3RP
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »

I'm fairly sure that most (if not all) the Japanese brands have been building their HT's in China for several years now.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »

They're cute and cheap, and they work.

However...

They're not certificated and many (most) will transmit way outside the ham bands.  Good if you want to operate illegally in FRS, MURS, etc.  Bad if you want to remain legal because it's really easy to just program an out-of-band frequency and transmit there, even accidentally as almost all of them will.

Their stock "rubber duck" antennas are, for some reason, not good at all and almost all would benefit substantially from an upgrade in this department.

Many use SMA-RP connectors, which are reverse polarized SMAs.  Cute, and often found on WiFi gear, but not at all common in amateur gear and kind of weird.  Limits connectivity, especially if you're unprepared for this.

Domestic (U.S. based) service appears to be unavailable, so if you have a problem, the HT makes a trip half way around the world -- or becomes a paperweight.

Despite this, they're getting pretty popular!
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 04:07:48 PM »

Well what the hell most of the jobs are gone anyhow.
NQ3RP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »

Well from the Wouxun site:

"WOUXUN Two-way radios are FCC approved.FCC ID:WVTWOUXUN03"

I'd say you're a little behind the times since this was posted on January 12, 2009.  They're catching up.

73-
John
NQ3RP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

>RE: Chinese VHF/UHF Radios       Reply
by NQ3RP on October 27, 2009    Mail this to a friend!
Well from the Wouxun site:

"WOUXUN Two-way radios are FCC approved.FCC ID:WVTWOUXUN03"

I'd say you're a little behind the times since this was posted on January 12, 2009. They're catching up.<

::No, not behind the times.  The certification for model KG-699E 70cm model *only* was issued 11-28-08.  However, the manufacturer's claims are not applicable to:

-Any other model except the 440 MHz model of the KG-699E;
-Any use other than FCC Part 90 PLMR use, for which the grant was issued
-The amateur version of this model, which can be used in the amateur band; in fact, the manufacturer's grant specifically requires the model shipped is specifically programmed to operate only in the Part 90 PLMR band.

The FCC data is here:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1036159&native_or_pdf=pdf

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1036163&native_or_pdf=pdf

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1036181&native_or_pdf=pdf

WB2WIK/6
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »

Who's selling these things?  I went to the manufacture's website and one, the KG-816 looks remarkably like a Yaesu. I googled them and found only Asia, Europe and one EBay seller.  With my track record for killing hand-helds I might consider one if it were inexpensive enough.

Clint - W5CPT
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »

There are SO many versions of those cheep chineese radio's its hard to tell what is and isnt approved. If the radio doesnt have a FCCID on its a pretty good indication its not approved. The px-777 had fcc approveal but MOST of what is found on ebay is the px777+ and that does not.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 02:35:56 PM »

Clint they are very inexpensive.

However they're also not as well made as the stuff I'm used to.  One drawback I've found is often the instructions are literally incomprehensible, so you either get advice from somebody who's already figured it out, or blaze your own trail and take some time to figure it out yourself.

Most I've seen/used will transmit all over the place above and below the ham band(s), so be careful about that.

It will be interesting to see if the ARRL Lab reviews any of these; I don't think they have, thus far.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »

Next ham you see at the hamfest(working top to bottom)Chinese ball cap, Chinese shirt, Chinese radio on Chinese belt, pants, well maybe made in India or Mexico, Chinese shoes. Maybe stopped for lunch and got a belly full of Chinese food. His wallet is full of American Dollars backed by Chinese bond buyers that he will use to buy some more Chinese radios and accessories. Weird times we live in, when the Japanese product is viewed as the upscale choice. Well maybe not so bad, perhaps 4 billion Chinese cannot be wrong!
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »

Oh, sorry he could not make it to the hamfest this weekend, he has the Chinese H1N1.
WM9V

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »

Please read before purchasing
You may have seen this product advertised on Ebay as a dual band handie talkie. This product is not a dual band walkie talkie.
The KG 689 is a UHF only dual watch or dual receive UHF only walkie talkie; contrary to the manufacturers website. If you desire a VHF walkie talkie then you must order the KG679 VHF model.
The Ebay vendor I dealt with ignored my follow up emails criticizing his ad. The box and their website clearly state that this is a DUAL BAND radio vhf/uhf.
This is deceptive advertising .
Don't buy anything of Chinese origin on Ebay . We have countless stories here about how the stuff is junk or it doesnt work at all. I am not exagerating.
The box cover graphics purports this product specs as being a dual frequency transceiver. Needless to say , Chinese made products now draw the brunt of jokes about cheap foreign made products .The quality of the product is good ;it has an ISO 9000 sticker in the back cover
and works reliably.
Unfortunately, like so many products from China ,the cost of shipping (50 dollars)is a significant factor in price shopping. Technically the product is a jobsite radio useable for GMRS and amateur use.The quality of the product is good, but again, do not buy this radio if you are purchasing an inexpensive dual band handie talkie. The two model numbers exist because they are VHF and UHF only models.
Hopefully this should clear up the deceptive advertising associated with this manufacturer and domestic resellers/importers of Chinese made communications products.
Consulting the manufacture website will only confuse you more (Confuseus?) because their pages clearly list this as a uhf/vhf transceiver in one package. Yaesu mods are not available on their website so maybe the Chicoms are an improvement.
VE6JMK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »

Recently made 2 orders from a Hong Kong Supplier after reading in this forum numerous others had used the supplier 'RadioGearPro'. One the first order I obtained a KG-816 and some accessories. On the second order I obtained a KG-UVD1P. The latter is listed in the Canadian DOC database as Type Approved for Commercial use in Canada, but interestingly, just at 1.5 Watts. The 816 is not yet listed but it appears has been submitted for eventual approval.

I'm a bit more impressed with the equipment than the supplier and will not order from 'RadioGearPro' again. The supplier contact name was the name of 'George'. He only seems to respond to emails to buy things, he does not respond to emails such as asking if he shipped the product, and does not respond when you inform him he shipped the wrong product. For example, he advertised that there was a AA Cell pack for the KG-816 which we bought. It turns out there is no such battery pack and it was for the KG-UVD1P. So on the next order when I ordered a UVD1P, I also asked in advance if he had a 'NAGOYA RB-CLP SMA Window Clip Mount (*SMA*): ' I clearly highlighted SMA and asked him specifically if he had an SMA and he said he did. He then sent a BNC clip. When I pointed out to him I did not order a BNC, his reply (which I was suprised to even receive) was 'we do not sell SMA'.  Undecided I guess he forgot he told me that he did sell SMA. On both orders he did not send a shipping notification, and did not respond to requests asking of the product had shipped. Ironically they both did arrive quickly.

Next on the the hardware. The KG-816 bench tests a power output of .4W when the frequency lands .001 MHz above the programmed frequency. So for example if you hit the PTT and the frequency shows 165.165, you will see 5.5W. If the display is for 165.166, you will see .4W (the programmed frequency in this example being 166.165).

I contacted Wouxun about the problem and they told me to return defective product to the supplier. I've informed Wouxun that the supplier does not respond to email, and I now await their response to see if they will fix it directly.

I've noticed a lot of posts that are understandably meant to discourage purchase of these radios and that is understandable. They clearly are not the build quality of something like an FT-270, but they do seem to offer good value for the money. If you antenna connection is a concern for example, you can mitigate that by buying a 5/8 wave Smiley antenna with the proper SMA-F connector on it. Where the Chinese get it right is not gouging for the accessories. It is nice whan it comes out of the box with Lithium battery, desktop charger and auto adapter. Programming software is free, and the remaining things like programming cables, extra battery packs, etc., are very affordable withal. Where I live most people who are using VHF for serious outdoor activities are also price driven. The dynamic that sees them placing these Chinese radios in their Quiver is not going to go away, nor is the attitude toward customer service on the part of Hong Kong sellers. Ideally and eventually, perhaps North AMerican sellers (who can purchase case lots of the KG-816 and UVD1P from the manufacturer in min Qty of 50's at a respective cost of $48.00 and $60.00 USD FOB China) while find the possible margins on the radios generous enough they can compete with the Hong Kong eBay sellers in terms of price, and seriously outcompete them in terms of warranty and service.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »

I'll pass for the same reasons I don't shop at Wal-Mart.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »

Ditto the Wal-Mart comment, but just about any discount store these days carry the exact same thing as Wally World does.  Many times those items are the only things available.

I ordered one of those Wouxon handhelds too.  It was shipped and received fairly quickly, but the thing was dead as a doornail right out of the box.  The battery was charged and numerous things tried--including a call to the distributor, but it was dead and stayed dead. 

You get what you pay for.  I sent it back and got a refund issued, again quickly, but the bottom line is this--never again will I order anything with a Chinese name brand.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: