Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Outlet  (Read 7469 times)
K5XS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »

W2RBA,

Sorry you had a bad experience with HRO "some years ago."  No one likes those episodes, and I wouldn't have been happy either.

But I struggle to understand why you characterize our relating our positive views as a "love fest."  We were just relating in this forum our many experiences with what seems (in recent years) to be a very good company.

If you choose to never buy anything from them again, that's your choice.  I hope the rest of us will keep them in business, because they are the kind of company I like doing business with.

(And I am gussing postage both ways on an HT antenna was maybe $10?)

Bernie K5XS
W2RBA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 04:46:43 PM »

Sorry for the delay in responding but I just checked this website today an lo and behold, I had a response!

I think you answered your own question: I referred to the "love fest" that was going on in this thread to characterize the tone of most postings (positive) and to prepare for mine (negative), that's all.  But...

But then you seek to trivialize my story by saying  'what was postage, ten bux?' (note the single quotation marks, I'm paraphrasing).  It totaled more that $14 for shipping to and from ON TOP OF the shipping I had already paid for to get the product (HRO, like other businesses, obviously charges a shipping and "handling" fee). Oh, yes, the HT antenna cost about $22 or $23.  Yet it wasn't the cost, it was the impolite reaction of the HRO employees to whom I spoke that soured me on HRO.  

I'm glad most of you have had positive experiences; I, too, have had great experiences -- just not from HRO.  I offered my story, amid this "love fest", as a counterbalance; I did not want to change minds but to remind folks that there's no such thing as the perfect vendor.  

Bye.

Joe, W2RBA
W7NWH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »

HRO / Anaheim was my first ham purchase of a Kenwood TS-820S in 1978 (still remember the day the UPS gal arrived hauling up my rig!) and to this day I shop almost exclusive at HRO / Portland which is ham nirvana driving distance for me.  Tigard is a great well stocked store, good at answering questions or just hang out a while and fiddle with the knobs on the display rigs.  Store Manager Leon is great to deal with and very knowledgable.

HRO is a mainstay of ham radio.  The knowledge that they have been advertising in QST for 40 years in almost the same format and number of pages is reassuring to me as a buyer.  It's like death and taxes, you know they'll always be there.

Bob Ferraro, W6RJ has my vote for "legendary ham radio retailer".  And with 12 store buying power they have a great national chain.  
K5XS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 08:41:02 AM »

Joe,

(I guess that's one of the shortcomings of Internet postings:  They become a series of statements instead of a person-to-person exchange.  I'm sure we could have a friendly on-the-air or in-person discussion.)

Your comments are fair enough, though I doubt any of us needed to be reminded no vendor is perfect;  I don't think anyone was saying that.  I was just happy to see and join in a thread about a business I have had great dealings with.

As for your experience, I have no idea of how long ago it was, and I frankly have no business thinking about who you do business with.  But I will gently suggest based on all the other positive experiences here, that your bad experience (if was years ago) may not be what you'd have now.

In any case, it is a great time for all of us with all the dealers we have to choose from, and you don't need to buy from anyone you don't care to, and I think that's as it should be.

Have a great 2009.  I hope we meet on the air sometime.

EC158

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 01:35:33 PM »

by W3LK on October 13, 2008  
------------------------------------------------------

"I have shopped in the Newark, Woodbridge and Atlanta stores and all the staff are very patient and helpful.

The guys in Newark are a little "quirky", but still great guys. Bob and Rick, if you are reading this, I Love You Guys! Smiley
------------------------------------------------------
Thats New Castle, not Newark. And they are rude and unhelpful. I hope they are reading this!

Love?

Thats a bit queer...
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 08:26:16 AM »

I have to give them a two thumbs up as well.

I live in New Hampshire, and the Salem store is cross state (that's not saying much here in NaEnglund:~).  Dealing with those gentlemen is always a pleasure.  And they can be 'dealt' with, giving an even better price than advertised.  One of them came cross state to our Ham Club to talk about D-Star (not so much as a HRO salesman, but because he's involved in the D-Star projects here in NH).

Good prices, great service and friendly-helpful staff.  Can't go wrong.
KB2VYZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »

You can't go wrong dealing with HRO-Delaware.  I make ALL of my ham radio purchases at that store.  Jim, Rick and Joe are GREAT to do business with (I have never dealt with Bob)!  It's the only dealer I have (in the last 8+ years), and will continue to, spend my money with!

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ
KB2VYZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »

You can't go wrong dealing with HRO-Delaware.  I make ALL of my ham radio purchases at that store.  Jim, Rick and Joe are GREAT to do business with (I have never dealt with Bob)!  It's the only dealer I have (in the last 8+ years), and will continue to, spend my money with!

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »

I bought my TS-2000 from HRO in Phoenix a couple of months ago.  I didn't have to endure a sales pitch.  They just left me alone for more than an hour and let me try out the radios with no hassle, yet they answered all of my questions and offered suggestions.  What more could I ask for!

Since then I've bought several more items from them, such as a 6BTV, coax, antenna kits, and small parts.   Great folks to deal with.  

I had the same experience with the store in Denver.  

KB8UUZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 06:06:16 AM »

I purchased an IC-7600, PS-126 and SP-30 from HRO at the Dayton Hamvention. They were shipped from the VA store. Arrived about 5 days after Hamvention. The IC-7600 was getting flakey and powering off by itself. At first I suspected the PS-126, and sent it back. A few days later the radio acted up again. This time I was able to reproduce the problem by gently pressing on the front radio bezel. A few e-mails to Steve at the HRO in VA and he said "Send it back - No one should have those problems on a new radio". Off it went to HRO in VA & they sent me a new replacement IC-7600 from the NH store. Super sales people that really look out for the customer! A GREAT company to deal with. I would recommend them to anyone even thinking about getting anything from a small item to a big rig. Hats off to the people at HRO !!

Tom, KB8UUZ
W3DCB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 08:37:27 AM »

Have been dealing with HRO in VA for the past few years...I always ask for Steve.  It doesn't matter what I purchase -- a new FTdx9000D or just some wire or a connecter.  Steve, the manager, is your man!  He always knows his product!  He always tries to get me the best deal.  I have been dealing with him since becoming active once again in ham radio after a long hiatus.  I would not go anywhere else for my ham products.  I have also purchased various used pieces from different HROs around the country.  I have always been satisfied...never a problem with any piece.  If you want the best service, Steve at HRO in VA is your man!  Daniel C. Baral, W3DCB (Formerly WB2MJB)
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 12:37:40 AM »

Good prices, helpful service, no shipping fee, and the merchandise arrives at my house in less than 24 hours after I place the order.

What's not to like?!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »

I've also had good dealings with the HRO store in New Hampshire.  My only beef is that they tell you the stuff you want is in stock--but they don't tell you it's in stock at another HRO store.  No additional shipping charges, but when you get your order in four parts, each a couple of days apart, and with no warnings other than the disclaimer in the catalogue, you can get a little upset.  

Other than that, though, excellent service, prices and the best sales people whethewr you're ordering a $10 part or an $800 radio.  HRO will continue to get my business, but I WILL ASK ABOUT IN STOCK CONDITIONS FROM NOW ON!  :-)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »

I'm always seeing how great HRO is.  

I've had one experience with HRO and that was that.  There's a term we use here in the Midwest: "New York rude".  Best way I can describe the experience.  

Although this HRO Outlet wasn't in NY, it was close enough.  Hi.

73, Bill
N2SLO

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 05:20:36 PM »

I have orderded several piecses of equipment from HRO, never a problem...

As for the "New York Rude", Bill that is a perception that left the building many years ago.. In fact, "New Yorkers" are probably the most friendly people in the country. I have experienced the "New York Rude", in other parts of the country... I travel in the U.S. frequently and have significant experience in this area... For what its worth...
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: