Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elcom Research - a company to be avoided  (Read 921 times)
K2SON

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »

I purchased a uTNT from Elcom Research. Instead of the 4-6 weeks promised for shipping, it took over two months to arrive. After much effort trying to get it working, gave up on it. Later, I decided to resurrect the issue and contacted Elcom Research for assistance. After several tests they determined that the unit was defective and offered to replace it even though it had since been replaced by the new TNT V3.0. I offered to pay the difference and have them ship me the V3.0 instead. It sounded like a win-win and they were happy to do it.

On Dec 1, I sent them the money. By early February, when nothing had arrived, I sent them several emails trying to contact them. No response. On Feb 11, I sent a strongly worded email demanding a response. That got a reply and lots of excuses. They stated that of course it had been shipped, but they would ship another one immediately.

On March 18, I again contacted him, this time via text messaging on Skype. More excuses and delays and a promise to email me in the morning about the status. Of course, nothing. So far I am out $180 and have nothing to show for it except a defective $120 item.

A word to the wise, If you pay by PayPal start the dispute process in time. PayPal will not handle a dispute for a transaction over 45 days old. Since Elcom states that shipping takes 4-6 weeks, this gives them 42 of the 45 days before they haven't met their obligation. My first recommendation is not to purchase from them. My second recommendation is that if you do order from them, and their product doesn't arrive within 4 weeks, start dispute proceedings then. Don't wait till the last minute. And what ever you do, don't believe Ioannis's promises and assurances. He is always apologetic, but does not follow through on any promises.
K2SON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »

If they didn't said 4-6 weeks I would have been suspicious. The company is in Greece. So the product has to go through Greek customs, a Greek carrier, US customs, then a US carrier, in this case USPS. Realistically it should take 2 or 3 weeks, max. But there are too many places for things to get slowed down, so 4-6 weeks is probably a safe statement on their part. That is, assuming they ship the product in the first place.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »

Wow, Greece?  I guess the lesson on this one is to buy from an American company or distributor, but it's hard these days to know--unless you ask.

Hope you finally get satisfaction.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »

>RE: Elcom Research - a company to be avoided  Reply  
by K2SON on March 20, 2009  Mail this to a friend!  
If they didn't said 4-6 weeks I would have been suspicious. The company is in Greece. So the product has to go through Greek customs, a Greek carrier, US customs, then a US carrier, in this case USPS. Realistically it should take 2 or 3 weeks, max. But there are too many places for things to get slowed down, so 4-6 weeks is probably a safe statement on their part. That is, assuming they ship the product in the first place.<

::I bring in stuff from all over the world, every week.  From the farthest reaches of Tasmania or Madagascar, absolutely nothing takes more than 4 days to reach Los Angeles if it's shipped via air and goes through the L.A. U.S. Customs office.  The only exception to this was during the dockworker's strike a few years back, that slowed everything down a bit.   But the strike is long over.

I get shipments from Beijing, Hong Kong and Taipei daily and they arrive on my desk 2-3 days after shipment, at most.  DHL, FedEx, et al. are very inexpensive and guarantee 3 day delivery to anywhere in the world, door to door.

I also ship 80 lb. Balikbayan cartons to the Philippines every month.  They go by sea (only, because it's really cheap!) and take 4 weeks door-to-door.

WB2WIK/6  
VK4FY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:30:30 AM »

This seems to be recurring theme with this company.  I placed an order in December 2008 and am STILL waiting for my order.  I get a lot of huff and puff from one person about it has been sent, and I'll get back to you tomorrow, or the next hour; then don't hear anything again unless you really push.

Another person reportedly took 9 months to get their device.  

If they were having production problems, then why not just SAY SO straight up?  Its got to to be better than the current situation of being lied to constantly about the status.
K2SON

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »

An update on my order from Elcom. On July 21 my order finally arrived. It took them 7-1/2 months to get my order to me. I think this must be a Guinness World Record for crappy customer service. I finally got them to respond to me by posting on their Yahoo Groups support forum asking when they were going to get the order to me. So I guess a dose of public humiliation got them to respond.

But my original advise still stands. Avoid Elcom Research like the plague.

Jim McCorison
K2SON
VK4FY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 04:35:46 AM »

Further to my post above, it is now 10 months and I have still not received the device.  Lots of excuses and some very bizzare excuses.   I am now asking for my money back and cant even get that.

If you're going to buy - do NOT buy from the online shop.  Go via one of the US resellers seems to have much more success!
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »

by WA8MEA  
"I have never ordered anything from anyone that states: "Please allow four to six weeks for delivery".

Most QRP kits from Small Wonder Labs take that long or longer and I have never had a problem. Dave Benson runs a one man operation and has a long lead time. (Plus he was working on his new house for a long time). Never been a problem. Dave is a peach and posts on his web page where your order is in the que.

@ WB2WIK What do you bring in from 5R8 Steve? Or was that a figure of speech? Just curious. DHL has excellent service to Madagascar.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »

>RE: Elcom Research - a company to be avoided       Reply
by 5R8GQ on October 2, 2009    Mail this to a friend!
by WA8MEA
@ WB2WIK What do you bring in from 5R8 Steve? Or was that a figure of speech? Just curious. DHL has excellent service to Madagascar.<

::Bring in?  Nothing!  Shipped to them some high speed file servers (computers for multiple users).  We have customers there, and everywhere.  I think our shipment arrived (at the customer) in 2 days, which is pretty typical.  I was just trying to express the "worldwide" shipping to nearly anywhere doesn't take more than a few days, even if that means 1-2 days of ground transport (from the nearest airport) to reach the final destination.

Steve WB2WIK/6
VK4FY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 04:21:37 AM »

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, The saga continues.  It is nearly 12 months, and still nothing.  One month ago, I was promised a refund.  Now, they wont reply to my emails, my skype messages or anything.  

I have to assume I have lost nearly $400 to this very shonky company.  I do not believe this to be the fault of George, rather his partner who runs the business.

Any positive reviews somee to come from resellers outside of Greece.  So don't bother ordering directly from Elcom, use one of the USA resellers.

Regards,
Shauno
VK4FY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: