Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a new ham operator's experience and comparison of Ham Radio Deluxe and DXLab  (Read 13401 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Today at 02:40:10 PM »

-Snip-

I don't know what you're (note: contraction for "you are") talking about regarding the signature. I don't see any signature on his posts. Maybe it's something he used to do.

-Snip-
I have professionally developed applications in a wide variety of programming languages, built a successful software development tools company, launched a successful open source software development tools platform, and engaged with many software development teams to help them successfully adopt modern software engineering practices. Prematurely transitioning to a new development tool set diverts resources from providing valuable new functionality, while yielding no significant benefits for users; this is a classic anti-pattern.

Dave, AA6YQ (author, DXLab)

Yep...it is very considerate of him to do that for the benefit of new hams and even older ones coming back to the hobby.
Think of it as a way to show authority in his area of expertise.
We have certainly seen him shine with competence and authority these past couple days about RTTY & FSK.
73 Jerry KM3K
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Today at 02:42:35 PM »

-Snip-

I don't know what you're (note: contraction for "you are") talking about regarding the signature. I don't see any signature on his posts. Maybe it's something he used to do.

-Snip-
I have professionally developed applications in a wide variety of programming languages, built a successful software development tools company, launched a successful open source software development tools platform, and engaged with many software development teams to help them successfully adopt modern software engineering practices. Prematurely transitioning to a new development tool set diverts resources from providing valuable new functionality, while yielding no significant benefits for users; this is a classic anti-pattern.

Yes, you're (!) correct. And that was written in response to your (!) comments about his choice of programming language, and your (!) statements about your (!) professional history, which you presumably made to demonstrate your (!) position as an authority on the subject.

Dave you seriously have to bite the bullet and migrate.  You have good software and you know what your doing but the whole VB6 thing is pretty much a dead end.  I am in the same boat as you, I have several Point Of Sale Applications that I wrote and sold and I was really pissed when MS came out with .Net and said oh you can just migrate it with the new built in tool.  As we all know that tool was pretty much useless and it required learning a new language because MS was giving strong hints that VB.Net was not their focus.  So for all the VB6 guys it was going to require learning Visual C Sharp.  For me with programs reaching the 8 to 10MB mark there was no way I was going to spend months learning VisualC and then spending a year redoing the software from scratch.  These are not simple Point of Sale software, but ones that run whole Pharmacies. So they needed to be able connect to the medical networks and be able to file insurance claims and keep customer records for years as well as tell if drugs on prescriptions had interactions if used in combinations.  So in the end I just told the clients that I would support the software till the contract was up and if they decided to use it further they could do so.  In the end I did do an extra year of support and then one day I told them that was it, I am done.    Using VB6 in 2012 was a nightmare, I had all sorts of problems with security compatibility for sending claims to the insurance companies and the look and feel of the software was getting dated and it had no upward mobility left in it.

DXLab does not send claims to insurance companies; no users have requested that it do so.

There is not one open DXLab enhancement request whose implementation is being delayed by the use of VB6, nor is VB6 a drag on any of DXLab's strategic drivers. On the contrary, its stability and robustness continue to facilitate rapid new development.

I simply don't understand why you take this so personally, even going so far as to say you will follow him on every forum to "make sure to tell people exactly what kind of person you really are." It really is astonishing. Excepting the fact that I use DXLab, for which I'm grateful, I know nothing about him other than through this forum. He's just another poster.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Today at 03:44:39 PM »

I simply don't understand why you take this so personally, even going so far as to say you will follow him on every forum to "make sure to tell people exactly what kind of person you really are." It really is astonishing. Excepting the fact that I use DXLab, for which I'm grateful, I know nothing about him other than through this forum. He's just another poster.

Do not try to misdirect my post to help your argument.  I said that in regards to my Account "mysteriously" being shutdown in the middle of my argument with him.  My account only came back up after I wrote the Admin an email explaining the situation and asking for it to be turned back on.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:49:59 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Today at 03:59:24 PM »

Do not try to misdirect my post to help your argument.  I said that in regards to my Account "mysteriously" being shutdown in the middle of my argument with him.  My account only came back up after I wrote the Admin an email explaining the situation and asking for it to be turned back on.

My argument? About what? I said that your personal interest in this was bewildering.

In any case, you're correct about the source of the quote. How's that coming? I haven't seen the proof or an apology.

My suggestion is that you should write your own email demanding to know the answer and then come back and tell us what they have to say.  I am very interested in knowing the answer that you get.

It rather pains me to say this but right is right:

You did Publicly accuse the Great Logger Author of having a hand in your suspension. In my mind you owe him an apology unless you can prove he actually did it.. OTOH If  the Great Logger Author did have a part in your suspension then he needs to be exposed.

No one accused him except you. Why should anyone have to do any emailing to find the truth? It is on your shoulders.

Stan K9IUQ
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Today at 04:07:42 PM »

You still don't get it. With transceiver like the IC-7410 that can be switched between RX and TX via CAT (CI-V) command, it is not necessary to require one serial port for transceiver control and require a second serial port to generate a PTT signal.

No Davie,  I get it.  It's you that does not.  I never said a second port for Transceiver Control.  You did!  I said "For Example" One for PTT and another for FSK keying.

I was speaking in a GENERALITY (Do you need a Wiki link for that???)  I do not reply with specifics in the forum as a matter of course (I will in a private one on one exchange).  This is because the PUBLIC information I am exchanging is subject to review by many, and taken out of context.  It just creates additional headaches.  Unless the instructions are clear cut and the situation is one repeated many times over as in a general configuration issue.

Hence the use of phrases "For Example" and such.

If I were to be giving him specific solutions, I would not use "For Example".

Now Davie,  and this speaks to your continual and revolting need to stick your nose into places you are not desired or even have any business being in in the first place - doing your standard self aggandizing, self promoting and showing your ego.  You have to believe I have the ability to see Scott's original ticket to HRD.  You however, have no idea what he stated or requested but yet your ASSumptions suggest you have all the solutions to the dilemma.  Strangely, in this specific event, you and I are saying the same thing.  I have stated several times he would need 2 Comm ports (and suggested he use a second K3YY interface).  You are suggesting he use the USB port for the second Comm port (a virtual Comm port in this case - oh, and just how many virtual Comm ports does the driver for Icom equipment install?  And what are their specific uses?).  OK!  Either would work.  Neither would have solved the original ticket.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:34:25 PM by KB1NXE » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Today at 04:12:18 PM »

My argument? About what? I said that your personal interest in this was bewildering.

In any case, you're correct about the source of the quote. How's that coming? I haven't seen the proof or an apology.

Apology LOL  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
As I stated before I asked the Admin why my account was turned off.  He did not reply to my email but my account came back on a few hours later.

Dave said he was going to email them and find out the Truth. (still waiting)

I said I was not going to email the Admin a second time since I assume that if he wanted to reveal something to me he would have done so on my first request.

People who have never installed forum software before assume a lot of things are possible and that is not the case.  In most forum software packages you cannot tell who turned off an account.  Any moderator with permission can go in and just turn off your account or turn it back on.  The forum software does not log that info.
IOW the software is not designed to Moderate the moderators, only the users Huh

« Last Edit: Today at 04:16:45 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Today at 05:00:11 PM »

Apology LOL  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
As I stated before I asked the Admin why my account was turned off.  He did not reply to my email but my account came back on a few hours later.

One would think that, having publicly accused someone, you would have a greater interest in pursing the matter. I know I would. On the other hand, I wouldn't put myself in such a foolish position in the first place.

You're still waiting for him to prove or disprove your accusations? For some reason, the word "responsibility" comes to mind.

I said I was not going to email the Admin a second time since I assume that if he wanted to reveal something to me he would have done so on my first request.

See above.

People who have never installed forum software before assume a lot of things are possible and that is not the case.  In most forum software packages you cannot tell who turned off an account.  Any moderator with permission can go in and just turn off your account or turn it back on.  The forum software does not log that info.

How convenient.

I have my disagreements with Stan but at least he seems willing to "man up" when it's called for.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Today at 05:47:45 PM »

One would think that, having publicly accused someone, you would have a greater interest in pursing the matter. I know I would. On the other hand, I wouldn't put myself in such a foolish position in the first place.

So let me get this straight if you worked for a company and then got a letter from the HR department that you were terminated because of an argument that you had with a fellow employee and you the decided to write the CEO and state your case and ask him why you got fired. Now lets assume the next day you got a call from the HR dept that said the CEO reinstated you.

Would you just:

A) Maybe write a letter back to the CEO saying thank you.

OR

B) Write a letter back to the CEO demanding to know once again why you got fired in the first place?

You're still waiting for him to prove or disprove your accusations? For some reason, the word "responsibility" comes to mind.

I have a very clear idea of what happened.  If Dave wants to write another email that's up to him.

See above.
Yes see the above

People who have never installed forum software before assume a lot of things are possible and that is not the case.  In most forum software packages you cannot tell who turned off an account.  Any moderator with permission can go in and just turn off your account or turn it back on.  The forum software does not log that info.

How convenient.

Have you ever setup forum software?  Do you even know what the options panels look like for user group permissions?   I have setup both Vbulletin 5 and 4.2.2 for different forums.  Why on earth would you think that a piece of forum software is going to track what a Moderator is doing inside the permissions panel?  You can only go in there and see if a permission is off or it's on.  You Cannot find out the history of it's usage LOL.

I have my disagreements with Stan but at least he seems willing to "man up" when it's called for.

Thats Nice!  I am so happy that you feel like a big man Roll Eyes  
« Last Edit: Today at 05:57:08 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Today at 05:56:45 PM »

Have you ever setup forum software?  Do you even know what the options panels look like for user group permissions?   I have setup both Vbulletin 5 and 4.2.2 for different forums.  Why on earth would you think that a piece of forum software is going to track what a Moderator is doing inside the permissions panel?  You can only go in there and see if a permission is off or it's on.  You Cannot find out the history of it's usage LOL.

Yea that's true. I've set up numerous SMF forums from scratch (of which this is one example of an SMF forum) and it doesn't track who changed what permissions.  Cheesy
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Today at 06:08:05 PM »

Yea that's true. I've set up numerous SMF forums from scratch (of which this is one example of an SMF forum) and it doesn't track who changed what permissions.  Cheesy

Thank You Grin
Someone else who at least knows something about forum software has spoken.
N5INP what WS3N fails to understand is that not even the Admin can tell who turned it off, all he can do is just turn it back on and that's is most likely why he did not reply.  The other option is that the same person who turned it off turned it back on.  Either way your never going to know who was involved.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Today at 06:27:03 PM »

In what way has he asked for recognition?

By making the fact that he wrote DXLab be known on numerous forum posts and using that to make himself seem like the authority on any subject that deals with Logging software. Heck he even puts it in his post signatures so your supposed to know who your talking to.

No. When I posted without mentioning my authorship of DXLab, you and others complained I was concealing my bias.

I am just saying there are a lot of Hams who have done a lot for this hobby and they remain completely in the background.

Weren't you just lambasting the ARRL in another eHam Forum thread for not actively engaging with LoTW users on eHam forums?
« Last Edit: Today at 06:33:46 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Today at 06:30:52 PM »

I did send email, but received no response.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Today at 06:32:26 PM »

Regarding my issue with HRDSoftware, LLC ---

The matter of my open Trouble Ticket is no longer an issue for this or any other thread on eHam or on any other amateur radio forum. After numerous emails over the past two days between myself and Mike WA9PIE, he now has a very clear understanding of the nature of my issue. Furthermore, he has apologized for the confusion and delay (I think I have been watching too much Thomas the Tank Engine with my grandchildren!) in resolving the issue. Furthermore, Mike has made himself the sole point of contact for this issue.

This all started when I looked at the Trouble Ticket and I noticed that the status had been changed from open to closed even though the issue was not resolved and that is when I flew off the handle and made the remarks I made in this thread. As it turns out, it was closed by mistake and the status has been put back to open.

Now that Mike and I have corresponded at some length, my respect for at least one person at HRDSoftware, LLC has changed immensely. Mike was dealing with a very angry and upset customer over the weekend but he never turned his back on me despite the tone of some of my emails. In the end, we even swapped a few really bad jokes!

I believe we are on the right track in terms of resolving my issue which, as it turns out, does not appear to be unique to my station configuration, my brand and model of radio or any "interfacing" circuitry between the radio and computer.

So I will end this post the way I opened by saying that my issue with Ham Radio Deluxe is no longer an issue for this or any other thread, whether you own or work for HRDSoftware, LLC or not. If you do own or work for HRDSoftware, LLC and are interested in resolving my issue, please communicate with Mike through your company's internal communication channels.

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Today at 06:44:02 PM »

WS3N,

It saddens me to have to say that I personally am giving up on this thread.
I write it off as hopeless from here onward.
Perhaps you may agree with my assessment that a couple guys just seem to be incapable of a real conversation in spite of AA6YQ's consistently stable posts.

In your post#286 directed to KD8MJR...
Quote from:  link=topic=98980.msg793668#msg793668 date=1413754955
I simply don't understand why you take this so personally, even going so far as to say you will follow him on every forum to "make sure to tell people exactly what kind of person you really are."
I wondered at length about the same thing and, from where I sit, the only way I see it is that envy towards AA6YQ's success seems to be the driving force.
Sort of like an electronic form of "road-rage" is at play here, hum?
What has this to do with ham-radio?
That's not why I took up the hobby; that's why I find this so distasteful; that's why I'm leaving this thread.

In your post#291 again directed to KD8MJR...
Quote from:  link=topic=98980.msg793693#msg793693 date=1413763211
To his eternal credit, I agree with your writing about K9IUQ.

73 Jerry KM3K
Pages: Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: