The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel layoffs due to falling PC sales.  (Read 3219 times)
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »

Since I'm just the guy who gets called in to install/fix/reconfigure network systems I have no stake in whether or not "the cloud" prevails. In fact I have moved clients to Google's email as a cheaper alternative to setting up an Exchange server for a 7-person organization.

I take exception with your statement that you are "just the guy....". You're probably very good at what you do. And most of the guys like me (the good ones in my opinion) started as guys like you.

Don't minimize your work.

The only difference between me and the engineers I've supervised, is that I was stupid enough to accept promotion.
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 01:18:54 PM »

When the uninformed mention "Linux" I ask "what flavor". Getting no answer the conversation is usually over . When a particular favor is specified I'll share what I know or shut up and listen to others experience in distros I'm unfamiliar with .
The "Kernel" is unifed across multiple platforms.

As a brief diversion NetBsd supports 57 hardware platforms (across 15 different processor architectures) With Linux not that far behind .

The beauty of Linux is that it DOES NOT have a unified GUI . The user has OPEN SOURCE access to the entire operating system , kernel , apps , user land and the GUI .

The Linux community has consistently resisted uniformity in the GUI rather embracing the Burger King school of GUI implementation "Have It Your Way".

Which leads me to this . Drink the Kool-Aid without any idea or control over what's in it or make it yourself . Do what your most comfortable with .

And now for the subjective. I have not , other than for a restricted work requirement , used a Micro$oft OS in 21 years . It's a choice , not an opinion .

~kop
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »

Don't minimize your work.

By "just the guy" I meant that I do not have to engage in politics. I tell them what I think and then they can do whatever they like. By the same token, no one supervises me. By the time they call me their own techs have been at it for a day or two and it's still not fixed. I love it when I can unscramble the mess and walk out in an hour. Of course, that doesn't stop me from sending the bill. Cheesy

My XYL retires at age 62 in two more years. When I married her 42 years ago I was not thinking far enough ahead to retirement age differences. I don't know what I was thinking......

Oh, wait.... now I remember what I was thinking. Tongue

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 04:55:33 PM »

The Linux community has consistently resisted uniformity in the GUI rather embracing the Burger King school of GUI implementation "Have It Your Way".

JX gives away his ignorance by never posting a link to support or corroborate his statements; which makes them just opinions.... and we all know what opinions are like.

The strength of Linux is in its complete - and granular - configurability. It goes way beyond being able to choose a GUI; in fact with Linux you often don't even need a GUI and can safely leave it out.

The Linux kernel is capable of being "tuned" to match the conditions needed for specific jobs. With Windows you just get a server with barely any capability of tuning (or reasonable security, for that matter). JX would benefit by reading this link which describes the various kernels and the associated versions of Windows and wonder why so many of the server versions seem to have the same kernel version as the "home" desktop models: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

And anyone who cares to explore the depths of the tuning process on Linux here is a somewhat out-of-date primer:  https://people.redhat.com/alikins/system_tuning.html

Just skim over the topics for an idea of just how fine you can adjust a Linux kernel for a specific application.

Disk Tuning
File system Tuning
SCSI Tuning
Disk I/O Elevators
Network Interface Tuning
TCP Tuning
File limits
Process limits
Threads
NFS
Apache and other web servers
Samba
Openldap tuning
Sys V shm
Ptys and ttys
Benchmarks
System Monitoring
Utilities

The strength of Linux is its ability to move from super computer to smart phone, from big data to refrigerators.
Try that with Server 2012.

Maybe it explains why MS is busily porting MSSQL to Linux and why their Azure "cloud" is on a Linux distribution MS set up specifically for that service.

And despite the sad claims of JX and some others, the list of applications for Linux is both deep and wide. He just is clueless.

I'm afraid that JX has been dropped well back of the peloton..

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
N0SQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »

I'd rather have a desktop or laptop.
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 06:12:29 PM »

Amd is really hitting them hard in the server market as well. There is SO MUCH more money in the server market than the PC martket. Intel is not worried about PC market. I bet it is AMD giving them a whipping right now.
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 07:04:59 PM »

Amd is really hitting them hard in the server market as well. There is SO MUCH more money in the server market than the PC martket. Intel is not worried about PC market. I bet it is AMD giving them a whipping right now.

AMD is behind in performance but has better dollar value versus performance.

There's a new processor due out from AMD code named "Zen" which is supposedly a 40% per core IPC performance improvement over the current revision of the "Bulldozer" architecture. This should see consumer silicon in October 2016.

If AMD delivers on time with expected performance I'd expect a renaissance for the company.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 11:17:33 PM »

JX gives away his ignorance by never posting a link to support or corroborate his statements; which makes them just opinions.... and we all know what opinions are like.

The strength of Linux is in its complete - and granular - configurability. It goes way beyond being able to choose a GUI; in fact with Linux you often don't even need a GUI and can safely leave it out.

The Linux kernel is capable of being "tuned" to match the conditions needed for specific jobs. With Windows you just get a server with barely any capability of tuning (or reasonable security, for that matter). JX would benefit by reading this link which describes the various kernels and the associated versions of Windows and wonder why so many of the server versions seem to have the same kernel version as the "home" desktop models: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

And anyone who cares to explore the depths of the tuning process on Linux here is a somewhat out-of-date primer:  https://people.redhat.com/alikins/system_tuning.html

Just skim over the topics for an idea of just how fine you can adjust a Linux kernel for a specific application.

Disk Tuning
File system Tuning
SCSI Tuning
Disk I/O Elevators
Network Interface Tuning
TCP Tuning
File limits
Process limits
Threads
NFS
Apache and other web servers
Samba
Openldap tuning
Sys V shm
Ptys and ttys
Benchmarks
System Monitoring
Utilities

The strength of Linux is its ability to move from super computer to smart phone, from big data to refrigerators.
Try that with Server 2012.

Maybe it explains why MS is busily porting MSSQL to Linux and why their Azure "cloud" is on a Linux distribution MS set up specifically for that service.

And despite the sad claims of JX and some others, the list of applications for Linux is both deep and wide. He just is clueless.

I'm afraid that JX has been dropped well back of the peloton..

There are two schools of thought with regard to computers. To me it's a life or death battle for who is in control. Either the computer works for me [Windows] or I work for the computer for free [Linux]
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Today at 01:53:23 AM »

There are two schools of thought with regard to computers. To me it's a life or death battle for who is in control. Either the computer works for me [Windows] or I work for the computer for free [Linux]

I can empathize . It is where it started . It got better .

~kop
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Today at 06:07:49 AM »

Some one stated that I have been out of the loop Linux is future. Both comments are without merit. I monitor and follow technology trends far more than many other here and when those out of touch do not see comments supporting what they believe or want they attack me. They are in denial of were technology is taking us. And of Linux being future it will never happen and the reason is Linux itself. It lacks standards as its open source works against it
Linux developers adhere to standards far more strictly that Microsoft ever has. Your rants against Open Source show you lack of understanding of Open Source.

---snip---

ASP.NET and .NET Core are open source, maintained on GitHub.

http://www.asp.net/open-source

That is a Microsoft blog.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn878908%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

That is part of the Microsoft Developer Network web site.

Examples of risky, standards-lacking open source collaborative projects, eh?

Ted, KX4OM
« Last Edit: Today at 06:17:55 AM by KX4OM » Logged
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Today at 06:22:19 AM »

Leaving aside the question of who actually has "control" over a Windows PC (we seem to have several threads here discussing that)....

You have GOT to be kidding me! The countless hours I've spent in front of a Windows PC watching this or that spyware remover or virus tracker scan. The several hours spent moving anjy user from one "domain" (if your Windows PC is on a workgroup then you can never understand the fun of Microsoft "domain" management) to another without losing their data/connections/wishlists. The hours of "updates".

Just the insanity of copying a large folder and watching the cute cartoon files flit from one to another while knowing that at some point there will be a file with a name too large or a file size wrong and you'll have to manually tell it to "skip" that because it won't move until you do.

The installation of Exchange 2013 to replace the previous Exchange (exactly ONE version back!) and discovering that the "prerequisites" that it demands are nowhere to be found. In Linux they're called "dependencies" and the update/upgrade manager lists them, finds them, downloads them, installs them and configures them. With MS they tell you that you need a list of "prerequisites" but give you little help in finding them and no help installing them.

(Two of my former partners, now moved on to bigger jobs, told me they had to use VM on Server 2012 plus pay for two consultants; one from MS itself, to get Exchange 2013 working.)

"Install Windows on computers and you'll be called back for years; install Linux on a computer and they'll never have to call you again."

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Today at 06:37:36 AM »

Do you really think you are in control of your Windows machine? Really?

How do you  work for the computer for free [Linux]?
« Last Edit: Today at 06:39:49 AM by KK4GGL » Logged

Rick KK4GGL
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Today at 08:42:15 AM »

"Install Windows on computers and you'll be called back for years; install Linux on a computer and they'll never have to call you again."

That's a vast generalization- but not far from accurate.

I've mostly deployed Linux over the last 15 years for both infrastructure (custom routers) and server applications. The business strategy I've used is to charge a smallish maintenance fee on a monthly basis to remotely monitor their systems, and audit them from time to time. Most of this is done remotely. Since I'm pretty dedicated to Red Hat Enterprise (Or it's binary compatibles) we're aware of errata as they happen and can make a judgement about what updates to install based on needs and security. I've written some basic custom software which allows all the systems I manage to update at the same time, or a select subset. (Yes I know there are other softwares that allow that- but this one is mine)

I don't charge much for that service- but get 100-200 servers under contract and a couple of engineers can make a good living while giving the customer tremendous uptime.

Would never attempt that with a Windows server. I'd quote 4 times the cost per box to manage Windows. So myself and my long term partners just do not do it. It's too big a hassle for the extra cash.

However, we will go in and clean up someone else's Windows server mess- for a large fee.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: