Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New reason to dump XP  (Read 3638 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 12:26:33 PM »

"Once again it is kinda silly to bank on 7 now."

Actually it's looking like it is kinda silly to bank on anything Microsoft if you want continued support for your purchase.

How so?  They are not going to keep updating old OS forever and being that 7 was released nearly 5 years ago its time has come to start retirement. Do not blame MS if you buy a new system with a 5 year old OS dah...

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 12:30:20 PM »

I'll admit I pissed away good money on two Windows 8 machines.  One was due to the XYL  wanted to "upgrade" and the other was a motherboard failure on the shacks old computer.  

If it wasn't for lack of drivers both would be loaded with Windows 7.   What convinced me was going into Programs and Features and finding out it doesn't remove Metro apps.  That has to be done within the Metro window.  Next was a crashed app that refused to go away.  Traditional methods wouldn't work.  It required a command line window and typing some obscure command that finally got rid of it.  

I hope MS offers some type of upgrade or even down grade to this pathetic OS.  
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 12:33:36 PM »

I'll admit I pissed away good money on two Windows 8 machines.  One was due to the XYL  wanted to "upgrade" and the other was a motherboard failure on the shacks old computer.  

If it wasn't for lack of drivers both would be loaded with Windows 7.   What convinced me was going into Programs and Features and finding out it doesn't remove Metro apps.  That has to be done within the Metro window.  Next was a crashed app that refused to go away.  Traditional methods wouldn't work.  It required a command line window and typing some obscure command that finally got rid of it.  

I hope MS offers some type of upgrade or even down grade to this pathetic OS.  

I question your apps not 8. I have not had any problems with two 8 laptops and a tablet. I chalk this up to user error and not taking time to learn OS.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 01:09:24 PM »

I chalk this up to user error and not taking time to learn OS.

I thought the whole point of Windows 8 and Metro was that you WOULDN'T have to learn the OS and it would be intuitive and it would just WORK like an appliance, no manual, no training required.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 01:38:53 PM »

I chalk this up to user error and not taking time to learn OS.

I thought the whole point of Windows 8 and Metro was that you WOULDN'T have to learn the OS and it would be intuitive and it would just WORK like an appliance, no manual, no training required.

I thoughts are, if someone has to learn and operating system. It might be a good time to learn Linux. At least with Linux, it is possible to tailor the GUI the way they like it. Not the way some company "thinks" you should like it.  Upgrades are free too.

Linux may not be everyone, or some may feel it is not perfect for a desktop OS, but overall it is pretty good. And the irony of it all, Linux rescue discs are used to rescue hosed Windows computers.

Anyway, Microsoft admitted they made a colossal mistake with Windows 8 and they aiming to fix the mess with Windows 9.  In the meantime I have Windows 7 and while it is overall an OK OS, XP still runs circles around it for compatibility and programs it can run on.

And that concludes this part of our favorite soap opera. "As The Hard Drive Spins"

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 03:48:20 PM »

I thoughts are, if someone has to learn and operating system. It might be a good time to learn Linux. At least with Linux, it is possible to tailor the GUI the way they like it. Not the way some company "thinks" you should like it.  Upgrades are free too.

Learn a OS that lacks mainstream support and has no universal interface? Bad choice

Anyway, Microsoft admitted they made a colossal mistake with Windows 8 and they aiming to fix the mess with Windows 9.  In the meantime I have Windows 7 and while it is overall an OK OS, XP still runs circles around it for compatibility and programs it can run on.

The only Mistake MS made was hanging on to XP interface too long. If they had changed sooner the bitching would have been over now. Without 8 MS would be DOA in tablet market with 7 dah...

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 04:46:30 PM »

Learn a OS that lacks mainstream support and has no universal interface? Bad choice

Bad choice  in your opinion. In the opinion of many of us Linux based distributions are very good choices for general computing purposes. The ability to change desktop managers in the opinion of many is a big advantage over windows and MacOS. There is a large amount of Ham software. You generally don't HAVE to pay for software and updates, although donations are always welcome. There are a number of forums for support. So.. bad choice? I don't think so.

The only Mistake MS made was hanging on to XP interface too long. If they had changed sooner the bitching would have been over now. Without 8 MS would be DOA in tablet market with 7 dah...

And, again, Microsoft has not been able to capture market share in any market that it cannot leverage its Windows and/or Office software. There is nothing wrong with the "XP" interface for desktop/laptop machines... that's non-touch devices.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 05:01:34 PM »

Bad choice  in your opinion. In the opinion of many of us Linux based distributions are very good choices for general computing purposes. The ability to change desktop managers in the opinion of many is a big advantage over windows and MacOS. There is a large amount of Ham software. You generally don't HAVE to pay for software and updates, although donations are always welcome. There are a number of forums for support. So.. bad choice? I don't think so.

And, again, Microsoft has not been able to capture market share in any market that it cannot leverage its Windows and/or Office software. There is nothing wrong with the "XP" interface for desktop/laptop machines... that's non-touch devices.

Only thing I would choose Linux would be if only other option was Mac. As far as XP interface, there is no future in older mouse desktop as it is dying.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 05:12:33 PM »

Also Win 7 looses main stream support in 6 months and will only receive security updates after that with no product updates.  

Ok John want to put up some money to back up your mouth?  Want to take a bet that Microsoft extends that main stream support for a lot longer than 6 months? (and I am not talking about a full blown service pack)
I will take a piece of that action and I bet some other people would like to take your cash.  How much are you willing to wager that your right?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:22:16 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 05:33:15 PM »

Also Win 7 looses main stream support in 6 months and will only receive security updates after that with no product updates.  

Ok John want to put up some money to back up your mouth?  Want to take a bet that Microsoft extends that main stream support for a lot longer than 6 months? (and I am not talking about a full blown service pack)
I will take a piece of that action and I bet some other people would like to take your cash.  How much are you willing to wager that your right?

Not gonna happen. MS has to move its platform focus to thrive in future. Apple made billions of touch screen devices because they had no competition from MS in past. If they stayed with 7 it is slow death. They might rush 9 but it will still have Metro too.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 05:56:22 PM »

Not gonna happen. MS has to move its platform focus to thrive in future. Apple made billions of touch screen devices because they had no competition from MS in past. If they stayed with 7 it is slow death. They might rush 9 but it will still have Metro too.

I hear what your saying, I am asking if your that certain of what your saying are you willing to put up some cash?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Yesterday at 06:57:28 PM »

I hear what your saying, I am asking if your that certain of what your saying are you willing to put up some cash?

And what is the point of that in a friendly debate?

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 07:22:40 PM »

John I love friendly debates but you make a statement about MS support with such certainty when the fact is that MS has always pushed back their cutoff points by years in some cases.
So why are you so certain that in this instance MS is going to follow through when we know that they are in a worst spot right now than in previous cases.

Win8 is a disaster for MS that's just a fact. If they force people to buy win8 by using a tactic like what your suggesting they will only alienate more people. They need Win9 to be out and be excepted by the masses before they can stop any form of support for Win7.
If not it will be a PR disaster.  I am not saying that MS has not stated that they will stop support for win7 in 6 months, I am saying that they won't do it based on past history.

Forget the bet, but I suggest you look around the net and see how many times MS has extended support before you start believing what they say.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Yesterday at 09:19:36 PM »

Is MS still in business? They keep kluge-ing up their GUI's they might not be for long.
MS-support is an oxymoron for the most part anyway.
He He, much enjoying this thread.
Haven't found a good reason to dump XP yet. Or WIN2K or WIN98 or WIN95 or WIN3.1 or DOS for that matter. Have several LINUX boxes as well.  They and all the old hardware serves it's purpose albeit some are limited. In addition my phone and tablet run android.
Try to program an old Motorola with WIN 8 and see how far ya get.
I guess I live in the dark ages.
Some of my HF rigs have tubes. I run open wire feedlines with a link-coupled ATU's.
Why should I give up all that fun?

Posted from a win 95 box
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: