Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 9 will be free to Windows 8 owners says MSFT Indonesia President  (Read 981 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:40:15 AM »

Wayne, the Win8 problem is not down to "a bunch of people whining" , its down to the fact that, despite there is no choice on the high street, people are just not buying it! <14% after two years says it all. Everybody at Microsoft associated with it got the sack or sideways shifted.

It because people resist change but change is needed to move forward. It would have been a death sentence for MS to not change as they must go to next step and tough screen support. In a few years 7 will fade away as it will be left behind quickly as people adapt and technology advances.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Today at 06:25:51 AM »

I would like to know how many large corporate companies are using Windows 8 and how many are using Windows 7. What did it cost each company to retrain workers to learn Windows 8 and how long it took. How many companies tried Windows 8 and went back to Windows 7. How many companies planned to go to Windows 8 but saw the retraining costs and stayed with Windows 7.

I guess we would never know the real answer. I believe most companies are in the software assurance/corporate site license program and have a pick of any Microsoft Operating System they want. They pay "per seat" per year for a corporate license.

Does anyone know of any large companies are running Windows 8? I know of none, and from what I read (and heard) some of them are still migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7. I believe the Corporate World is really Microsoft's bread and butter, more than "Joe Consumer".

If the corporate world is rejecting Windows 8 on a large scale, that won't hurt Microsoft financially as the companies still pay for a corporate license regardless of what MSFT OS they run. But it will hurt Microsoft's prestige and reputation down the road, and that could hurt Microsoft in the future when the software assurance/corporate site license program come up for renewal every three years or so.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:34:48 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:45:57 AM »

I would like to know how many large corporate companies are using Windows 8 and how many are using Windows 7. What did it cost each company to retrain workers to learn Windows 8 and how long it took. How many companies tried Windows 8 and went back to Windows 7. How many companies planned to go to Windows 8 but saw the retraining costs and stayed with Windows 7.
 . . . .  sniped . . .

So I work for a large company in the Fortune top 20 list. Our approved PC OS's are Win 7 and Win 8.1. The company provides images for both. We can choose either OS. I am using Win 8.1. In an office of about 50 people, 5 of us are on Win 8.1. The rest are on Win 7. It's the same thing here as the ham forums. People don't understand Win 8. One guy was bad mouthing Win 8, I showed him my laptop and now he's running Win 8.1 and is happy with it. No one has installed any add on start button software. It's not needed.

As far as training, there was none needed. 3 minutes on youtube or having an open mind and exploring it a little and you can be as productive with Win 8 as with Win 7. Besides, the applications look and work the same on both and that's what you actually do work with. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Today at 06:48:23 AM »

I guess we would never know the real answer. I believe most companies are in the software assurance/corporate site license program and have a pick of any Microsoft Operating System they want. They pay "per seat" per year for a corporate license.

Does anyone know of any large companies are running Windows 8? I know of none, and from what I read (and heard) some of them are still migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7. I believe the Corporate World is really Microsoft's bread and butter, more than "Joe Consumer".

If the corporate world is rejecting Windows 8 on a large scale, that won't hurt Microsoft financially as the companies still pay for a corporate license regardless of what MSFT OS they run. But it will hurt Microsoft's prestige and reputation down the road, and that could hurt Microsoft in the future when the software assurance/corporate site license program come up for renewal every three years or so.

Corporate upgrades have been effected in a large amount by economy last several years and technology was not at top of list. In corporate world a lot run as clients on a server and OS is not that big of factor and even with 8 there would be little to learn to run a few apps. Most that claim to be computer literate really are not and change scares them. And then they think 8 is only metro when it is not and 9 will still have metro and future versions as well. Metro it the touch screen interface for 8x and its successor 9. A new family of apps will run in metro and it is growing fast. Sticking firmly with 7 is kinda like sticking with DOS when Win 9x came out. It was just a matter of time before you were sadly behind. Same today with 8x.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:30:36 AM »

In my earlier post I mentioned people in my office using Win 7 and a few like me using Win 8. I got to thinking  . . . Why does someone "need" Win 8 today? The answer is really this . . No one "needs" Win 8 unless one of the following conditions exist.

1) Use a touch device and need Metro
2) Have to run some application that's available on Win 8 only (and not Win 7 or earlier)

Unless you have one of those conditions, then Win 8 is not "needed". Now desire on the other hand to keep up to date and to run the latest version is not a "need". It's a desire. There is nothing wrong with staying with Win 7. It's a supported OS and gets updates etc, unlike XP.  That said, there is nothing wrong with Win 8 (8.1) as a desktop/laptop OS.

Now the only part of W8JX discussion I agree with is change in coming again in Win 9. Metro won't go away, and Win 9 won't revert back to Win 7 look and feel. Yea it looks like they are re-adding a start menu but it won't be a new version of Win 7.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Today at 07:43:24 AM »

Why does someone "need" Win 8 today? The answer is really this . . No one "needs" Win 8 unless one of the following conditions exist.

EXACTLY correct. This is why Win 8 has been a dismal failure for Microsoft. There is NO compelling reason for Enterprise or everyday consumers to pay $$ to upgrade.

When a New Generation gotta have software program that runs only on Win8/9 comes along you will see everyone wanting to upgrade. Until that time the majority of Windows users are staying with their present OS.

Stan K9IUQ
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Today at 08:18:54 AM »

It because people resist change but change is needed to move forward. It would have been a death sentence for MS to not change as they must go to next step and tough screen support. In a few years 7 will fade away as it will be left behind quickly as people adapt and technology advances.

It because people resist change but change is needed to move forward. It would have been a death sentence for MS to not change as they must go to next step and tough screen support. In a few years 7 8.1 will fade away as it will be left behind quickly as people adapt and technology advances.

With the discussion of Windows 9, it just gives people who aren't already invested in Windows 8 another reason not to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.  Why invested in Windows 8's dated technology when its successor is just around the corner?
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Today at 08:45:48 AM »

If anyone wishes to follow the hype the unveiling of "Windows 9, Threshold or Whatever". The conference starts at 1 PM Eastern Standard Time. (10 AM Pacific, 6 PM BST). The Verge says that they will be covering it as a "live blog".

http://live.theverge.com/microsoft-windows-9-event-live-blog/

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in anyway with the Verge or Microsoft (although I use their products and their competitor's products).

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:05:12 AM »

The "Whatever" has been unveiled: It will be called "Windows 10". 
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TEC_MICROSOFT_WINDOWS_FUTURE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Today at 11:22:48 AM »

I have used many different operating systems, not just Windows.

Every operating system had advantages and disadvantages.

In my opinion, Windows could have been far better. The Amiga and Macintosh computers were using colors, icons, lerger amount of storage floppies, stereo sound, etc. years before MS did iin Windows. While I've been an admin on VMS, AIX, and Unicos, I doubt anyone would use those as a home computer.

One thing everyone should watch out for are advertisements. Some computer companies barely market, some spend more on marketing than their operating system. Do research and make a sound judgement, just don't upgrade because someone claims it is better. Anyone can make such claims.

And a touch interface doens't make something better. Co-workers, cats, small children, etc. can ruin your day if your computer has a touch interface. They have a nice science ficiton 'feel', but that doesn't make then necessary nor a good idea.

My Asus tablet has a touch interface, but I don't use it unless various 'oooh, I got try that touch screen while you are typing' people aren't around.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: