Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malware Software  (Read 1626 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:47:38 AM »

If you have not tried it yet you should check out "Malwarebytes". I have used it for many years and it always finds something on a system the first time its run. It focuses on registry entries and certain apps. For XP users its a good way to try to keep it alive a bit longer. Good app. It requires you to register to get download link but it is free and I have no spam mail from it. When you install it make sure you uncheck free trial of premium pay version which is checked by default

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp_form/

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »

Also add "RKill" to the list.

What it does, it stops the malware temporarily and long enough so that you CAN run Malwarebytes and other anti-malware type of programs. Sometimes malware will prevent you from running anti-malware programs, so RKill stops it.

Best of all it is free. It has helped in the past. Also bleepingcomputer.com is probably one of best the sites on the 'net to help solve malware and virus infections.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

"BleepingComputer Review:

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.

As RKill only terminates a program's running process, and does not delete any files, after running it you should not reboot your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again. Instead, after running RKill you should immediately scan your computer using some sort of anti-malware or anti-virus program so that the infections can be properly removed.

Below are a list of RKill download links using different filenames. We offer RKill under different filenames because some malware will not allow processes to run unless they have a certain filename. Therefore when attempting to run RKill, if a malware terminates it please try a different filename offered below.

For more information about RKill and to ask questions regarding how it should be used, please visit the support topic here:"

Also

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308364/rkill-what-it-does-and-what-it-doesnt-a-brief-introduction-to-the-program/

If you find Rkill a good program, then please make a donation. I have no connection whatsoever to the site or to the program.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »

If you have not tried it yet you should check out "Malwarebytes".

On the rare occasion when I suspect an issue, I download and run Malwarebytes.  Agree, it is an excellent program.  I don't keep a version on my computer because need is rare and I usually expect that there is a newer version available online.
At one time, I did set aside a small partition with some diagnostic/repair tools on it but by the time I needed it it was so obsolete that I had to update everything anyhow.
But, to respond to your post, YES, Malwarebytes, in my opinion, is one of the best of its kind.
Tom
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:44:09 AM »

also, just to clean out the crap from your PC is
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

this one does work, well.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »

http://www.superantispyware.com/

This one works well.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 01:50:34 AM »

also, just to clean out the crap from your PC is
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

this one does work, well.

I suggest you be real careful with cleaning software. On a simple system using common apps it's fine but if you have a lot of non mainstream software installed like SDR stuff or even HRD it may remove registry entries or files that are needed by that software.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:44:47 AM »

I fully agree with John. Presently, Malwarebytes is the best one out there. Not only is it highly recommended by apparently competent testing organizations, it sure has got me out of a jam more than once on a Windows 7 machine in the office here.

Having said that, there was a bug (I forget the details) running the trial version on my XP Pro machine roughly a couple of months ago. But if we didn't already have a paid sub to Norton IS, Malwarebytes is absolutely the one I would install.

KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:50:30 AM »

I have used CCleaner and the free downloads from Bleeping computer.com (including Malwarebytes trial) with good results on Windows machines. I am tempted to donate to a worthy cause.
 Microsoft developed the OS and should know the most effective cleaning/security tools for their product. It is in constant refinement and trying to keep a step ahead of the malicious attackers. I therefore use the Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)-'Pre-Release' and their monthly Malicious Software Security Scan Tool.
 Keeping your Adobe and Java at the latest release is also good security practice. Many malicious attacks come in through Java and Adobe-run programs. The latest and greatest software updates for all installed devices ensure the safest surfing. Manufacturers like HP and Intel also release updates from time to time. Be sure to check their websites for updates/upgrades.
 Apples are less prone to mainstream malwares, but I use Onyx and ClamXav on my Mac.
 I have shied away from the 'free security scan' scam tools that find all these problems and will fix the first 50 of them at no charge, but ask money to fix the rest (right!). I don't believe half of what they say that they find 'wrong' and who knows what their software leaves behind.
 Real-time Norton slowed down my computer way too much. Some pop-up/ad-blocker tools seemed to bring Google searches to a complete stop.

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:20:17 PM »

I have shied away from the 'free security scan' scam tools that find all these problems and will fix the first 50 of them at no charge, but ask money to fix the rest (right!). I don't believe half of what they say that they find 'wrong' and who knows what their software leaves behind.

that's quite true, too
But a good Real Time Scanner, for you guys on a *dsl connection is:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/au/

you will need leave it connected & scanning for around an hour. ..
- depending on the size of your hdd, of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: