Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Broadband speed record  (Read 1601 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »

"Most outages are usually cause by limbs downing lines and not due to hits."

Based on my personal experience I would have to disagree. We used to loose cable virtually every time there was a summer thunderstorm. If it had been limbs we would have also lost power as well and the cable reliability would not have improved many times over with the use of fiber.

My guess would be that induced voltage spikes from nearby lightning hits was taking out the electronics in the amplifiers along the way. While fiber has conductors in the cable, those are likely terminated to ground and the fiber won't conduct surges to the input of line amplifiers. Of course if the fiber takes a direct lightning hit then it will likely be destroyed.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »

Based on my personal experience I would have to disagree. We used to loose cable virtually every time there was a summer thunderstorm. If it had been limbs we would have also lost power as well and the cable reliability would not have improved many times over with the use of fiber.

I basically only loose cable in a storm here when limb take down power lines and cable feed.  I have lost power without loosing cable.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »

Okay, in your area limbs take out cable service and in my area lightning takes the service.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »

Okay, in your area limbs take out cable service and in my area lightning takes the service.

Honestly my service except for big storms taking trees down or a glitch on main cable network is pretty reliable. Had cable Internet for about 10 years now.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Today at 12:07:18 PM »

I would expect that fiber is much better as far as induced currents from nearby lightning strikes finding its way to equipment. Granted it is still an issue if it takes a direct strike or gets hit by power lines. What I do know is that when the local company used coax cable on the poles we would often have a long outage after a lightning storm. Since they've gone to fiber on the poles we very seldom have an outage.

Most outages are usually cause by limbs downing lines and not due to hits. Fiber has no edge in this regard.

Actually the number one cause of cable system outages is loss of commercial power. Lots of reasons why, but actual plant damage is a distant second in terms of minutes/yr. cable companies have gotten better at maintaining their battery backup systems and monitoring the PSUs, but problems still can happen. Note that a popped breaker on a power supply still counts as loss of power, even though the power company never had an outage. The reason the outage times decreased after the fiber plant went in was because each power supply covered a much smaller service area (think modified hub-and-spoke vs Christmas tree lights archetcture). Easier to find the problem too.

Fiber optic cables are constructed to be much more durable than coax or twisted pair. I've seen poles sheered off at the base by an accident and the top standing up hanging on the fiber. Also, the preferred placement for fiber is underground, which is safer in the long run.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:01:22 PM »

Fiber optic cables are constructed to be much more durable than coax or twisted pair. I've seen poles sheered off at the base by an accident and the top standing up hanging on the fiber. Also, the preferred placement for fiber is underground, which is safer in the long run.

Strength of coax is relative to type and size. We have hardline out here and power over hardline for distribution amps. We had a power failure last year that took down pole and 3 phase feed from sub station but Internet stayed up because what was left of pole hung from cable hardline. Out here they also run a suspension wire attached to hard line and anchored to poles so again strength is relative to installation not cable or fiber.   

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: