The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft sued for Windows 10 update that allegedly damaged devices  (Read 5878 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2017, 04:32:13 PM »

:-)

Rick KK4GGL
KA4LFP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:57 AM »

The Win 10 update was a user choice, unfortunately the majority of the population aren't computer literate and just accept it. No backup of their system to allow an easy reversion to their older OS either. Entirely user incompetence.

I had a problem with an update messing up the driver for a multi RS232 external box, a re-install of the driver fixed it. An Acer laptop needed a workaround to sort a backlight issue, when I asked Acer Support they quite correctly stated the laptop was not tested for use with Win 10 and I should have left it running Win 7.

Nobody was forced into installing Win 10.

73 Dave

DING DING!
We have a winner...   Dave is EXACTLY right.

This update to Win10 was published MANY MANY times, even on CNN and other news sites.

Anyone who didn't know that MS was automatically pushing win10 after a certain point was just _really really_ not paying attention to news.
I can forgive those who didn't see it on some arcane techno-geeks forum site (like I watch ;-)

But if you didn't read the articles on CNN, Fox, etc - and learn that Win10 was going to be pushed out AUTOMATICALLY, you weren't paying attention, and that's NOT anyone else's fault.

And there were many many articles published by many people BEFORE the automated push happened, giving details about how to avoid having it automatically happen.

And I'd say for everyone who ISN'T computer literate, unless you've angered your entire family and all your friends, you probably have a grandkid or grandneice/nephew who knew how to stop the update. Asking for help on computer related things when you aren't good at computer related things is NOT a matter for prideful anger...

Additionally, a VERY LARGE number of old machines simply failed the "ok to upgrade test" and did not upgrade. I have a number of 4-5 year old computers that would NOT upgrade to Win10 because the install wizard said they weren't up to snuff.

And the point about an EULA is also exactly right... people HAD TO click an agreement before Win10 would install.
Blocking that EULA was one of the several ways we stopped automatic win10 upgrades here at work.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:15:41 AM by KA4LFP » Logged
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »

I'm not sure why some one resurrected this thread, which was started on 28 March 2017.

By the way, the OP's link to the news of the law suit goes to RT.com (Russian Television, a Russian government-run propaganda site masquerading as a news channel in competition with BBC, CNN and other private news outlets). But as RT says,

In any case, if law suit was real, it is obvious three months later that it has gone nowhere.

As RT says, "RT covers stories overlooked by the mainstream media, provides alternative perspectives on current affairs, and acquaints international audiences with a Russian viewpoint on major global events."

Let's move along folks. Nothing to see here.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: