Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tri-band vhf/uhf antenna Comet or Diamond?  (Read 1591 times)
WF6J

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2004, 02:22:49 AM »

OK, probably the same but, Anyone with a preference of the Comet SB97N versus the Diamond NR2000AN?  Both are N connectored 144/432/1296 mobile antennas.  TNX & 73, WF6J
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 02:21:52 AM »

I use both Diamond and Comet gear, and I find that most often Diamond has a slight edge in build quality.  The Comet stuff I have works well, though.  I used a Diamond NR2000 tri-band antenna for awhile.  It performed well on 23 cm, but I found it's performance to be lackluster on 2m and 70cm.  That was compared to the Larsen 2/70B dual-band antenna I usually use.  The tri-band antenna didn't tune-up very well on 2m, as it seems to have a very narrow bandwidth (about 1 MHz) for a good VSWR reading.  The antenna was connected through a Diamond MX-37 diplexer that allowed use of my Kenwood VHF/UHF dual-bander and Kenwood TM-541A 1200 MHz radio on the single feedline.

I ended up moving the Comet N-base mount to another hole and returning to the use of the NMO-based dual-band Larsen antenna for VHF/UHF.  I had previously obtained a Diamond NR124 1200 MHz antenna, and that's what I put on the N mount when the 541 radio's in the car.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 12:03:48 AM »

I agree that the build quality of the Diamond seems just a bit better than the Comet.  I ended up with a different Diamond tribander (CR-324A for 2m/222/440) and was surprised that the Diamond folded over while the Comet did not.  That made the choice to spend the extra $8 an easy one for me.  I did go with the Comet triplexer, though.  $20 extra for the Diamond name seemed a bit much.

For 23cm I always prefer a separate antenna.  I had a repeater up on the band years ago and everything and anything can effect your signal.  You can be copying the repeater S9 one minute and barely reading it the next, then back again.  Get as much gain as you can on 23cm.

Caity
K7VO/4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: