Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Messy & 'orrible TELNET problem for anyone BRA  (Read 1735 times)
EI4HQ

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2002, 03:11:41 PM »

G'day all,

This is one for the  real anoraks/nerds/IT pros out there:

I'm posting here because the problem is preventing the successful revival of a crucial DX cluster node in EI...and I'm desperate Shocked)

I'm an IT pro myself so don't be afraid to get in under the covers and give me messy suggestions; at this stage I'm prepared to try almost anything. 2 guys have put 4+ months and serious hours into this project and we ain't happy right now Shocked)

I bring up a telnet connection across a LAN to a server (Red Hat Linux) from DXTelnet running on a Win2K workstation. The local server is performing a firewall type roll i.e. the workstation cannot telnet direct to the outside world but only via an account on the server. THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS SITUATION.

I then bring up a second telnet connection to an external dx cluster (connecting in NODE mode). This connnection passes through another (supposedly) transparent firewall - good innit Shocked) AGAIN THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS SITUATION.

Now the problem: At some stage during the process a second unwnted local echo is being introduced. This additional echo is causing havoc with the Cluster protocols/data transfer... unfortunately its proving very difficult to pin down. We need to supress at least one of these local echoes but can't seem to get any success...

Can anyone help me out here - the security setup is relatively standard in big corportates/institutions and perhaps someone may have a blinding flash of insight?...please....ah you will think about it won't you...I'm desperate...HELP! Shocked)

Cormac, EI4HQ
Cork, Ireland

PS: This problem is not apparent if I use the Win2K telnet client - I don't think its  a problem within DXTelnet - we've spoken in detail with the author but at the same time I can't pin down why it occurs in DXTelnet but not in the Win2K Telnet client...
C.

EI4HQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2002, 08:36:56 AM »

FOLLOW UP:
Problem solved. Thanks for the offers of help
Cormac, EI4HQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: