Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Not the Only O/S in the World! Ya Think?  (Read 3729 times)
KA1TKZ

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2002, 04:55:49 PM »

(sarcastic humor)  

When I sent a few e-mails to some authors of ham radio software regarding MAC's, all of them say pretty much the same thing.  "Everyone uses Windows".  I also got another answer the other day which I thought was amusing:  "We decided to release the Windows version first.  Now we're so busy with Windows problems, we don't have time to release the MAC version and support it".

Everywhere I go in my travels, I hear many hams on repeaters talking about Windows problems or PC problems.  Personally, after 15 years of various PC configurations, 2 divorces, 5 Windows versions,  and countless "Blue Screen of Death" threats,  I gave up! And I learned something.  It's suppose to be having the computer work for me.  Not the other way around.  I always went to bed late because I was defragging or reinstalling something.  No wonder the XYL went elsewhere!

Now, with Microsoft's greatest masterpiece, Windows XP being installed in thousands of Dells, IBM's, Gateways, and mongrel PC's accross the land every day, you can count on one thing!  All of them will have to call the Microsoft Mother Spaceship, or they'll shut down.  Now the internet needs to build more bandwidth to Redmond,  just to handle all this new traffic.  Nice huh?  Now, Bill wants to be the center of your digital home.   Can you imagine what would happen when your freezer, tv or home alarm fails to register with the mother ship?

Suddenly your TV is stuck on MSNBC, your alarm system locks all the doors and windows in your home, and your freezer spews deadly R-134 into the air.   And the last thing you remember seeing on your PC screen:  "This program has performed an illegal operation, and will shut down everything".  We're sorry it had to end this way.  Please reformat your hard drive.  "Hit any key to continue".  Goodbye!  "Hal"..er, I mean "Bill".

So listen up software writers!  Some of us like to sleep at night!  Windows is not the only game in town anymore.  You could make big $$$ writing BSD Unix, or Linux based software or whatever your heart fancies!  Even PC DOS would be great!  I don't care, as long as its not Windows.   I'm not one of the millions of window drones that runs what everyone else runs.  I'm thinking different now.  Dude, I'm not getting a Dell!

Did I say I was sleeping well these days?  Well, actually I am.  Just for the record, I'm running OS X.1.  It hasn't crashed once in the 6 months I've run it.  I can communicate with the world like I could on my Windows machine.  And no one can tell the difference, and that I use a MAC.  Now,  I am in command of my computer, and my computer works for me.   Can you say the same?
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 07:46:33 PM »

That makes me laugh! I started out at a young age on the MAC I had a old 2gs when I was about 5yrs old if I remeber right I played this roger rabbit game and this game with blocks!  When I was seven I got my first real mac it was a LCIII  (Also a Mac)  I had that till I was 9 and I got my Cetris 2600 I think it was also I Mac!  I got my first email adderss on that computer I used that computer till Bill gates came and ruined my life Hey Hey!  My dad got us a old Pentuim Computer 100MHz I hated that thing so I still was using my Mac till my dad decided to sell it when we got another Windows machine!  We still have a Mac here a Newer one running Mac O/S 8 with a G3 Processer!  I have not have a Toshba laptop and we have a Linux machine and several other PCS..

Steve Xavier Anness,KD5OWO
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 11:35:43 PM »

Chuckle....You'll probably start a flame war here. I've been using Linux since 1995, and there are quite a few Ham programs for it. I still keep a Windoze box around, and dual-boot my laptop, as there are some very good programs that require Bill's Best (!?!). Still, I've never really had any trouble with BSOD's. Oh, the occasional glitch, sure, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to do with marginal hardware, flakey drivers,  and poorly written applications that leak memory and don't release it when you close them. Personally, I WILL NOT be looking at XP, as it's just too intrusive. Win2k is the last version of Windows I plan to use.
73, Jim
N2ERN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2002, 07:19:54 AM »

My G4/860 runs rings around any PC. My Mac 17" flat display is the envy of all. As for windoze, I bought a cheap laptop for whatever software I might need that isn't available for my Macs, but so far, it's under the table, unused, with a dead battery.

I just can't seem to get used to OS X yet, and run under 9.2.

My ancient SE/30 sits here too, merrily running DX PacketCluster as a single application. The SE is the perfect size for this application.

Harry N2ERN
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2002, 06:32:10 PM »

Right on there Harry! I have used to the X O/S for the first time today on a IBOOK at Circut City It was ok but the best I have found is O/S 8 which is the closet to my old friend O/S 7!  Jim WOW I am surprised I thought my Family were the only people in the world to use Linux!  I have used Almost every O/S out there and the Mac is the best but Linux allows us to run a Home Network.  Still I we have a Overall counts of PCs I like Macs better!  

BTW:  Does anyone know if I can put Linux on my Toshiba Laptop?  Is it compatiple with Mac and PC Applications??

KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2002, 10:06:14 PM »

You can probably put Linux on your laptop, but to run applications written for another OS requires an emulation program. For Windoze you have your choice of wine or VMWare, but I don't know of any for MAC OS. These programs also require quite a bit of horsepower to run non-native applications, so unless you have a pretty new laptop, you'd be disappointed.
Jim
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2002, 10:25:28 PM »

Ok! Thank you! Well right now it is running windows 98 I might just stay with that since all of my Applications are for windows and then just use my dadsL Linux Machine when I can! I would get a Desktop in my room but my desk is only big enough for my laptop and my Alinco 2m Radio!  "Have you ever been in a house with Ham radios in 2 different Rooms Hey Hey!

Steve,KD5OWO
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2002, 01:35:38 AM »

What you say has merit, but not unlimited.  Our family's "Main" machine is, in fact, a Mac.  But is has decidedly NOT been bug free.  The very same sorts of conflicts that happen on PCs can happen on Macs.  Macs, in fact, are more prone to bugs caused when upgrading OS and the existing drivers don't work.  We paid mucho dollars for this G3 machine when it was new, not so long ago.  It was about the last machine on which OS 8.6 came standard.  Knowing how much agony it was going to be to upgrade to OS 9, we waited until OS 9 was about a year old.  We took the plunge, only to have the machine slow way down, and begin to have crashes.  We found out that our video card did not have OS 9 compatible drivers, and wonder of wonders, never would.  So we had to pay another $150 to get a newer video card that had OS 9 drivers available.  That fixed most of the speed problem, but we still were getting occasional crashes.  Turns out the hard disk drivers that came with the machine were incompatible with OS 9, and in fact, OS 9 had dropped support for our hard disk.  So, off we trundle to the store, to buy a third party bit to work as a hard disk driver.  So the slowdowns were nearly elimintated and the crashes nearly, but we still get both.  There's a reason for a product called "Conflict Catcher" and it's not because Macs are bug-free.  

All told, though I really do prefer the Mac.  We use it with a 20" display that was discarded from work because it "failed".  We replaced the video connector and it's working fine for us.

But that's the family computer.  What about my ham computer?  I can't use the family computer for hamming, since the family likes to use it even when I'm hamming.  Well, I prefer to spend my money on radios, not computers, so I need a CHEAP computer for hamming.  Face it, Macs ain't EVER gonna be as cheap as PCs.  For $70, I got a Pentium II/200 MHz with 8G drive and 120M RAM and an 8Meg video card.  I loaded Windoze 98 on it, disabled all the auto-update, "Bill Gates call home" garbage, and it's serving very well as a ham PC.  I'm really sad to say this part - it crashes less than the Mac, and even though it has less RAM and a slower processor, everything seems to go faster on it.  

And, as you said, most of the ham sw is written for DOS or Windoze.  For any application I run for hamming, there's a free way to do it in DOS/Windoze, but often on the Mac it's for money.  As I said, I want my ham money to be used for radios and antennas, not the dumb computer....

AM
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2002, 05:46:05 PM »

You are very correct when you buy a mac you have to have everything compatiple with your hardware.  With the Windows/dos Machines your Software is Compatiple wituh the Hardware.  

For you Linux Lovers out there who want some Ham software cheak out Radio.linux.org.au/

On that site you will find some Liunx software.  Also you can run WINE on your Linux machine to allow some MS windows and DOS Programs to run on linux..

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2002, 09:52:20 AM »

As a decade-long user of OS/2 it's nice to finally see some people that see the "emperor" (Bill G) has no clothes.  Yeah, it's extra effort to install a non-M$ OS and get it running the way you like.  Be careful though, you might learn something.  The path of least resistance isn't always the best, people that that see the world through Windoze are really missing out on what a computer can do for you.

Mark K5LXP
http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2002, 07:06:00 PM »

As my dad put it anybody can use Windows but only people with 'some' computer background can use linux.  Look at the title "Windows not the only O/S in the world!"  Now finnaly many people see this.  For you who do not know linux is becomeig more popular everyday.  

As a long time mac user I find that the mac O/S is one of the better for both School and Home/School computer and the greatest 'mac-chines' ever.  For the new computer operater I would tell them to get windoes and then for the more advanced computer operater I would tell them to get a linux machine.

For all you out there in this forum who use there computer has part of ham radio then I would say linux is the best because of all the software for hams.  Also linix allows you to program your own stuff and it is a free O/S.  Right now those are the three o/s's I have used and I am sure there are many more to come.  

What kind or 'mac-chine' are you running O/S 2?

Steve,KD5OWO
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2002, 06:45:38 PM »

I have very sad news, sad indeed.    OS2 IS a Microshaft system, at least it started out that way, and you can bet that Bill gets royalties from it, even yet.
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2002, 08:39:18 PM »

That is sad,Hey Hey!  I was not aware of that.  Shows what I know.

Steve,KD5OWO
EI4HQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2002, 08:45:22 AM »

Well I've worked in the computer science arena for years and reckon;

There's lots of OS's - pros and cons to them all. I use Linux, Win2K and OS9 regularly depending on what I'm doing.

No OS has got the "its just a tool and I want to get on with it" interface/transparency of use anywhere near right yet - even MAC - in actual fact MAC is now well down those stakes compared to recent Win & Linux offerings (IMHO)

Software writers favour PC simply because of the chicken & egg situation with market share - the more potential users the more likely people are to write for the platform the more likely an increased number of people are to use the platform etc. etc. etc...

As regards s/w for the MAC well I reckon in 5-10 years the h/w will be so fast that all code will be interpreted and platform independent (ie what JAVA is attempting to  with the JVM - but it'll acutally be fast enough to be of some serious use). Indeed I use a G4 regularly that runs an interpreter verision of Win98 in a window - pretty damn quick as well - really neat!

I was never one for MS bashing or "Linus Torvalds bashing" - doesn't have the same ring to it ;O) as I've always felt that MS have made some significant contributions to the world of IT - say datacentric programming or OLE for example...

Horses for courses I guess - unfortunately we live in a world driven by market share & lots of lemmings Shocked)

G'luck & don't conform...
Cormac, EI4HQ
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2002, 11:19:34 AM »

Cormac,
   That is the way to go.  I do have this habit of bashing MS; but like you said there is no O/S out there that can do everything.  If I were going to take somone computer shopping the first thing I would ask them is what are they doing with there machine.  My dad happens to also have three machines on his desk at work a mac o/s 8 'mac-chine' a windows XP machine and a Linux machine.  That is the way to go these days.  I would soon hope that of the O/S's out there would start makeing a very compatiple computer.  At this time the Linux O/S works on PC Machines but not on mac machines.  Macs are very self going and not very compatiple.

Steve,KD5OWO
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: