Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: watt /swr meter /and radio?????  (Read 355 times)
KI4HBX

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2005, 11:33:23 AM »

I am going to buy a mobil unit 2m 70cm  to use as a base station I would like some suggestions on what to get as far as a radio and a swr and watt meter.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 04:23:34 PM »

Pick the features you like and go for it; the "rig" isn't the important part of the station, anyway.

I'd also not recommend investing anything in a "watt/swr meter," unless you plan on making antenna adjustments.  To have a meter in line purely for the sake of watching your power output is silly and kind of a waste of money.

A better investment is to sink it into the antenna system, including the antenna, its support, and its coaxial cable.  A good antenna, up high above the neighborhood, fed with very high-quality, low-loss transmission line, will do a lot more for your signal and making contacts than meters will.  

Although I own a dozen or more wattmeters, I never leave one in line if I don't have anything to "adjust" (like the tuning of an amplifier, which requires monitoring).

WB2WIK/6
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 05:03:46 PM »

I agree with WIK!

For now go with a good multi-mode radio. Check your antenna installation at the time you put it up with a friends Directional Wattmeter such as a Bird Model 43.

Later, as you build a more diverse station, you will want to add such a Wattmeter, and companion Dummy Load to start building up your test equipment!

Don't forget to tape up those coax connectors with good quality electricians tape!
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 02:46:27 PM »

Super 33 & Scotch Kote :-)
N3PAQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 04:41:06 PM »

I disagree with WB2WIK's recommendation of not getting an SWR/Watt meter.  I sure wish I would have got one early on.  Every time I think about building an antenna, or even installing a pre-built antenna, I wish I had one.  I typically have time for antenna work when I'm out of work, leaving little money to purchase things like SWR meters.  

Another thing I wish I would have purchased early on is an all mode two meter rig.  Don't rule out the Icom IC-706 or Yaesu FT-857.  They will cost you a bit more, but you'll get six meters that you can operate right away, and you'll have HF standing by if you upgrade your license in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: