Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I know this has been asked a milion times...  (Read 957 times)
KD5QPF

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2001, 04:52:36 AM »

but I don't see anything in the archives. A basic question but gotta ask anyway.

What are the things to consider/do to minimize/eliminate all the RF inteference & 'computer hash' when simultaneously operating both the computer and HF rigs?

Heck, I can even hear the use of my mouse scroll button on the HF rigs when I'm using the computer.

K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »

Look down in this forum "RF Proof Computers".
Try using a ferrite core choke, wind the mouse lead around the "core" as many times as the wire will fit.  I buy ones at Radio Shack that clip together and are rectangluar shape with the "hole" in the middle, they come two to a package.  I wind the choke so that it is close to the computer case.  If you have metal covers make sure they make good bare metal contact between the metal frame and and the covers, sand the paint off if need be.  Connect a "ground" wire between the computer and radio, I use RG-58 type coax with the shield and center condutor twisted together and crip on connector rings and then solder the connections at the ring crimp.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2001, 04:50:19 AM »

This is the choke I use.
Radio Shack part number, Snap-Together Toroid Choke Core Cat.#: 273-104
http://www.radioshack.com/
G8UYZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 12:27:59 PM »

Place a Ferrite choke on ALL the leads and filter the mains supply, separately, to both the radio and the computer.
G8UYZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: