The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossband-capable handhelds  (Read 2988 times)
AI4KK

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2005, 10:24:36 PM »

Can anyone give me some ideas on what is available in crossband-capable handhelds? I am building up a lightweight jumpkit based around an IC-703 and amp, plus a crossband-capable HT and 35W amp if necessary. The HT would be hung as high as possible with a roll-up J-pole and external DC/charge connected and cross-band repeated through.
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 10:35:57 AM »

First of all, I may be wrong. I know of quite a few 'Crossband-Capable' handhelds, but it sounds like you are interested in a handheld that can do 'Crossband Repeating', or act as a repeater on it's own.

If you are just looking for a handheld that can send in 70 cm, and receive in 2 meters, there are quite a few out there. I happen to like my vx-2r from Yaesu, it is small, has inexpensively aquired batteries, etc. In fact I strongly suspect that most dual band, or multi-band radios that are on the market today can work cross-band. It is almost required to work a space station.

If you are looking to use a handheld as a crossband repeater, I don't know of any that are designed to function that way. Your best bet would be to get a small mobile radio with crossband capability, and a dual band antenna with a lightweight mast to mount the antena on. I will leave it to you to determine how you would power the system. I do know of some people who just build the system into their car, with a square hitch mount to put the mast on. It does work, though it probably won't fit into a jump bag of any sort.

-Rusty -kc0vcu
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 10:57:58 AM »

The Icom IC-W32A will crossband repeat.  But, I would strongly recommend AGAINST using a radio as you are discussing.

While crossbanding is cool (though difficult, at times to do legally), an HT is not a good choice here.  The main issue is thermal.  Crossbanding often puts quite a strain on a radio -- especially when crossing two ways (again, there are legal issues here).  Your radio will heat up quickly.

New finals, anyone?

The better idea is to get a small mobile that can handle the thermal issues.  Perhaps a Yaesu 8800 or 8900.  Their small, light (under 3 pounds), and work well.  Plus, they have small fans that really help.

GL with it.

Peter, N4LI
AI4KK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 12:30:26 PM »

I've thought about that as well, but will have to see what I can fit in my LC-156 along with the IC-703 (should be here any day now). A 9.5 a/hr 10-D cell NiMH battery pack would run a rig like that for a while, especially if you ran 16ga zipwires (lot smaller and more portable than a roll of decent coax of any length, or can even use the HF yo-yo tenna in an emergency and if HF isn't being used) to a power supply on the ground for charging.

Of course, the flipside would be having your heart go up in your throat every time you saw your new $400 dual-band mobile hanging 40ft off the ground Smiley

Perhaps a small net would be a secure way to hang it all while still allowing enough airflow.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »

An Alinco DJ-580 HT will cross-band repeat.  Use with a Mirage BD-35 dual band amp, as the DJ-580 will get warm in continual use.
AI4KK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 07:27:08 PM »

Thank, I'll have to take a look at that. I have a Mirage 30W amp that I can use on the 2M side with a diplexer to split the antenna output between the amp/2M antenna and a 440 antenna; I'm not worried about amplifying the 440 side as I'll be somewhere close enough to hit it on low power quite easily and vice-versa.

To be honest, for EmComms, you shouldn't be talking all that much anyway.
AI4KK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 05:16:46 AM »

Just snagged a DJ-580 for $128 on Ebay. Will give my Vertex to my son for Christmas (thereby justifying this purchase with my chief financial officer) and see how this works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: