Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best antenna for a Yaesu FT-8800R  (Read 1426 times)
JKWIDENER

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2005, 03:58:28 PM »

I was wondering what the best Mobile antenna would be for a Yaesu FT-8800R? It has the mars cap mod done so the TX Range is 137-174 & 420-470 MHz. But this radio also receives the following freqs 108.000 - 520.000 MHz
700.000 - 999.990 MHz . What Antenna would be good for this radio. I'm on the local Emergency Managment and i want a good antenna that will allow me to transmit good but also let me receive also. And where would be a good place to buy one online? Paypal Prefered
K4DV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 06:09:25 PM »

Any quality 1/4 wave is going to be hard to beat, especially in hilly and mountainous terrain. If you are in the flat lands of the mid west, a 5/8 wave would be best. You get what you pay for in a mobile antenna. A cheap $20 antenna is just that. Get a good quality Larsen or Comet or the like. It will cost a little more, but the benefits will be quickly seen.
You shouldn't have to worry about SWR problems unless you are transmitting at extreme band edges.
Again, a good quality 1/4 or 5/8 wave is all you need.
By the way, I just ordered a new 8800 and wondered how you like yours? Is the MARS/CAP mod difficult on it? Thanks for the reply.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 04:22:34 PM »

Sir:

Just a comment ...

<<  I'm on the local Emergency Managment and i want a good antenna that will allow me to transmit good but also let me receive also.>>

If you are planning to use this radio on non-ham frequencies in connection with your local emergency management responsibilities, please be advised that such operation is illegal. Modified ham gear cannot be used on Public Service/Fire/law enforcement frequencies.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: