Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: External Speaker for Mobile Radio? I hope not.  (Read 595 times)
KD8CIP

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2005, 06:29:53 PM »

I'm in the market for a multiband mobile radio and I'm finding that every radio has a top-mounted speaker. When I mount the radio to my dash, the sound will be muffled and an external speaker will be necessary. The problem is I don't have room in the van to mount a speaker conveniently. It would be nice to have a radio with the speaker mounted on the bottom or front. Any suggestions? I was thinking I could mount the head remotely and mount the box upside down. But, I don't really like the remote set up because it takes extra time and because it takes up valuable underseat space that I use for fishing rods, canoe paddles, etc. Any suggestions?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 07:05:08 PM »

Hi,

You can use the existing speakers in the van,
one guy I know has the 2m on the front
and the 440 on the rear speakers !

73 james
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 06:59:26 AM »

I use external speakers designed for hand's-free cell phone installations. They are about 2.5x2.5x5 and they fit in a row on the driver's side of my overhead console in my Ford Windstar.

I find it had to believe you can't find a place in the cab section of your van to mount an external speaker.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 10:21:29 AM »

Get one of the newer ICOMs have front a firing speaker.  Or mount a remote speaker in your vehicle headrest.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 12:47:33 PM »

I mounted a small remote speaker to the top of the door post just above and behind the driver's head. Makes it really easy to hear, even with the windows down.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 01:11:09 PM »

I do use an external speaker.  In my tiny little 1997 Geo Metro I found a spot for a small speaker on that back of the center console between the two front seats.  If I can manage it in a Metro I find it hard to believe that you can't find a place with a little creativity and imagination.

Caity
K7VO/9
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 09:40:09 PM »

Get one of the small MFJ mobile remote speakers - about $15, and mount it between the rails of your driver's headrest, if you have an adjustable headrest. (installation described works well in my 95 Neon coupe). If your seats don't allow that, attach it somewhere close to your head. If you can route through the built-in van speakers, cool. Getting the speaker close to your own head/ears annoys the other riders in the van a lot less than having it over the entertainment speakers. And much better than the muffled sound you get with it under the seat!
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »

While I agree with the others that you can find a place for a small external speaker with planning, another option is the Alinco 144/440 radio that has a flippable mount for the head to radio connection. The display can face up with the speaker firing up or down. That may solve your problem.

73 de Walt N2IK
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »

While the conventional install for the base in a remote mount setup is under the seat, there is no requirement that you mount it there. Hang it from the ceiling. Mount it next to the door. Wherever it is convienent for you to have the base unit, with the antena wires going to it. Then mount the front panel where it is convienent to control the radio from. You could even construct a rig to mount it to the side of the base unit.

Quite a few of the remote head unit capable systems I have seen come with a bracket that allows you to mount the head so that it is above, or out front of the base. I strongly suspect that most of those will allow you to flip the base unit, (or head) for your convienence. They use a very short cable to connect them, but it should be long enough to allow a unit flip.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 03:43:44 PM »

Try to find this speaker, P/N SH2P4. These are very small, yet sound AMAZING! I bought one at a hamfest a couple of years ago, because it sounded SO good on my handheld, and it still flat amazes me how good it sounds. It is tiny, but LOUD and CLEAR. I have literally dozens of speakers here and this little guy flat works. Last car I had one in was my Ram Air Trans-Am. Look at the reviews here. The down side? VERY difficult to find. I have even thought of becoming a dealer, just because they impressed me so much!

PLUS they are inexpensive!!!!

ron

N4UE

P.S. The MFJ 281 is also pretty darn good!

N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 07:50:03 PM »

I just googled on "SP2H4 speaker" and got two hits on ham dealers selling this speaker. I can concur that it sounds OK as I have one I bought at a hamfest, possibly Dayton OH or Rochester NY. I don't remember. It works well for a small speaker. A bigger speaker is better, but I did not have room for it in my location.

Walt N2IK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: