Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with Kenwood TH-27 Handheld  (Read 2333 times)
WB9VHF

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2001, 09:07:39 PM »

I assisted at a marathon and put the radio in my pocket when I was done.

I must have hit a button or two that knocked out the sound on both receive and transmit.  The radio transmits and the buttons and F-button function works, but no sound.

Any suggestions?  I suspect I accidently affected the squelch.

Paulette, WB9VHF
N4HNI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2001, 12:08:50 PM »

Hello paulette, I discovered today the same problen with my TH-27 which has been setting for a while. Please let me know what you find out and I will do the same. Thanks Melvin Tyre, N4HNI
WB9VHF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2001, 10:13:27 AM »

Melvin,

Thank you for your reply.  That morning I had used the radio during a fundraiser race. It was afternoon when I noticed the lack os sound.

In my case I suspect that I accidently hit some buttons that locked up the squelch.  I removed the battery for a few days but that did not reset the settings.  I'll remove the battery for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

Of course, finding the manual would help a lot.  I hope I soon can remember which safe place I left it.

I'll let you know when I get the answer.

Paulette, WB9VHF
Madison, WI
WB0DMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2001, 01:36:51 PM »

This is too weird.  I have a TH-27 with no sound too.  The squelch works and I can see the meter come up when there is a signal.  What is going on here?  I tried the reset function in the manual, but that did not help.  I just lost all of my settings.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  ths39@hotmail.com

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2001, 08:05:14 PM »

hi all,

I could not find anything to help so

email kenwood at kenwood.net
and go to amateur section.

They are nice and answer email promptly.

WB0DMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2001, 12:26:34 PM »

I emailed Kenwood and they responded with the standard $50 per hour plus shipping response.
KA1SLG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2001, 10:47:08 AM »

Okay people, I have a th27a and a manual, does it show anything on the display to indicate some obscure function enabled?

Andy
WB0DMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2001, 01:23:56 PM »

Every thing looks normal on the display.  I can see a signal on the s-meter.  I can see when the squelch on this display open.  

It is like having the tone squelch on and receiving a signal without the tone.  

I even tried inputting a known tone squelch code from a local repeater and nothing was heard from the speaker.  I even tried plugging in an external speaker.

Thanks for your help.  I know there has to be a solution out there.
KA1SLG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2001, 12:39:13 PM »

looking at mine the display should show repeater offset, a 'T' in a box to indicate pl tone for repeater acess and 'CT' for tone squelch. hitting the moni button above the ptt switch should open up your squelch. if that doesn't happen I would suspect that the audio output amp is gone.

Andy
WB0DMA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2001, 01:44:05 PM »

I suspect you are right about the audio amp.  Do you have any idea as to what that might cost to repair at $50/hr?  
KC8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2001, 02:37:42 PM »

This topic is like deja-vu (sp?) or something.  A week after I first read this my TH-27 died the same way.  Did Kenwood plan this?  I suspect it has something to do with heat as I left my radio in the car during a hot summer day (not turned on, just stored).

I have the manual and schematic.  Is this reparable at home or is the radio a loss.  Probably not worth a factory repair.

Did anyone fix theirs?  I was looking for an excuse to buy a new radio, but wanted to keep this alive as a back-up.

KA1SLG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2001, 10:26:47 AM »

I would suspect that you would end up with about a $65 dollar bill. That seems to be like a standard amount for a minor repair to an HT. you might consider doing it your self. the output IC is probably surface mounted and needs a delicate touch to remove and reinstall.

Andy
KG4GSC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2001, 03:51:11 PM »

Your unit has developed a leaky capacitor which has eaten the lands on the audio amp board.  Not repairable.  I have one in similar condition I'm trying to fix.  Kenwood will not repair it, I've asked.  If you're REALLY good at microsurgury, it may be repairable.  This problem oft happens after high temp exposure.

Andrew
KG4GSC
WB0DMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2001, 09:32:33 PM »

Although that is not what I wanted to hear, I appreciate the information.
KC8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2001, 09:15:46 AM »

Thanks for the cap tip . . . I think I found it.  Hope to try to fix it soon.  Will report on the operation in a few weeks.

Jim
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: