Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 220mhz 1200mhz  (Read 727 times)
W4KJP

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2006, 05:44:27 PM »

I am looking to add 220mhz and 1200mhz to my shack.  Sense I haven't found any new radios with these bands do any of you know of a good radio or radios. I do perfer all mode but FM only would be fine. I have looked at the Kenwood-2000 but I do not really need another HF rig just for 1200mhz.  Thanks in advance
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 07:55:10 PM »

Most use a multimode HF transceiver with an external transverter to achieve maximum performance at minimum cost.

If you already have a multimode HF transceiver, the DEM transverters are a lot of bang for the buck and are available for all VHF, UHF and SHF bands.

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com

Even if you don't already have a multimode HF transceiver, buying one, along with 222 and 1296 MHz transverters, is still probably the most viable way to get on those bands, unless *all* you are interested in is FM.

WB2WIK/6
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »

Another option is to find a good used Yaesu FT-736R with both the 222MHz and 1296MHz modules installed.  Expect to pay around $1000 for one in really nice condition.

Otherwise, what Steve said.  Elecraft also makes a really nice 222MHz transverter kit.  Maki Denki makes an excellent but rather expensive 1296MHz transverter.

Caity
K7VO/9
N6HBJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 11:40:15 PM »

Regarding 220 Mhz. Look at the ADI AR-247 FM mobile rig with about 80 memories. I bought one 3 years ago and as far as I know they are still in production. ALINCO also makes a mobile 220 rig DR-235T/TG.

~Mike N6HBJ
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 02:02:12 PM »

I have an ADI 247 for 220 it is a 30 watt FM rig that works very well. It sells new from HRO for about $200.00. I use it with an omidirectional antenna. The Hustler G7-220. We do have a bit of activity on 220 here because of the efforts of a few hams. I bought a 2nd one for the car because this rig works so well and is very simple to operate. I have also found out that any mic that is wired for a 8 pin Kenwood rig works just fine on this rig without rewiring. I am using the base unit with a kenwood MC-85 base mic.
For SSB we have found that the only time we hear any stations is when the big guns bring out their gear to play during a contest. Other than that you can call CQ until you turn blue with no success.

For 1296, make sure that there IS activity in your area. It is very line of sight specific. We have a few guys here that spent mega bucks on high gain antennas and amplifiers and found that they are only able to talk to each other. They have even gone mountain topping  with the 1296 and have found it to be very dissapointing. So far they have only managed to work less than 10 other stations in this band. For a rig what they have is the Icom IC-910H with the 1296 add on. By the time you are through with the radio alone, it is already at the $2000.00 mark and at this point you only have a 10 watt rig for 1296. Oh also definetly buy a good preamp! Icom makes one for this rig or you can buy a 3rd party unit. I'm sure that you can find a used one cheaper, but remember make sure that there is activity in your area or you will be very dissapointed.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »

The ADI AR-247 is out of production and on closeout.  The receiver is a bit weak in terms of sensitivity compared to other radios and it is known to be prone to display failures.  For $35 more you would be much better off with an Alinco DR-235T for a 222MHz FM mobile rig.  The advanatge of a transverter or an FT-736R is that you get all modes and during a VHF contest having 222 can be a big advantage.  

The purpose of 1296MHz, to me, is not FM and repeaters.  Most areas of the country outside of California have little or no activity.  The purpose is weak signal work (SSB/CW) and satellite work.  23cm is very important for both.  Again, you'll net a lot more points in VHF/UHF or UHF contests.  My personal best on 23cm SSB is about 920 miles, hardly line of site.  John, NE0P, has it absolutely right.

Caity
K7VO
KC2MLZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 07:43:54 PM »

Hi...

There are a few ways to go here..

Transconverters work well..

However i perfer radios to transconverters..

22o band i use Alinco DR-235T (very nice radio..only FM)

1200 band nice radios are the
Icom IC-910H (all mode...also great for VHF and UHF)
Icom ID-1 (both Digital and Analog)

Later
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: