Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: handheld/mobile w/ crossband repeater capability?  (Read 4694 times)
SUPERNOVA87A

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2003, 08:16:45 PM »

Hi all, I've been trying to find an affordable small handheld or mobile radio that can provide a crossband repeater function VHF/UHF (light casual use, not heavy duty). So far, I've got two models: ADI AT-600 and the Standard C558A. But these both seem to be no longer manufactured, although good units.

Can you recommend others that I might look into?

Thanks!
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 10:57:18 PM »

Check out the Kenwood TM-V7A for a dual-band mobile w/ crossband repeat.  The now-discontinued Kenwood TH-79 H/T has crossband repeat, too, if I recall correctly.
AG4GT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 01:08:01 PM »

The TM-V7 works well for cross band repeat but is a monster to set up.  I have used mine to cross band repeat in two modes.  You will have to have some supplemental instructions to set it up, the book is useless.  I always have to go back to my very carefully hand written instructions to get it to work.

The Icom W32A HT will also do cross band repeat but you are limited to 5 watts.  I have only tried mine one time and it was straightforward to set up and use.  Again, you will have to have additional instructions because the book does not even mention this feature.

Steven
AG4GT
ag4gt@hotmail.com

W4KPA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 09:14:36 PM »

The Alinco DR-605 has cross band repeat and is very affordable. It's also easy to set up.  I've had one for about 15 months with no problems.  

The Yaesu FT-8900 quadbander does cross band repeat.  And I can't remember for sure, but the Icom IC-2720 may as well.

An older radio that you can find on the used market is the Yaesu FT-5200.  You won't find cross band repeat in the manual, but it has it.  You can find the programming sequence at lots of radio mod sites on the web.

Good luck.

Bruce
W4KPA
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 09:44:59 PM »

I'd steer clear of the Standard unit.  Not that it's a bad radio; I have a Standard mobile rig, and two Standard handhelds (C-168 for 2M and C628 for 440/1.2GHz) and although I feel they are superior to the "Fab 3" units available at the time I bought them, I feel a bit betrayed.  Standard withdrew from the U.S. market, and although they have returned as Vertex/Standard (AKA YAESU) they won't touch a Standard radio if it needs repair.  An orphan radio is not a good option.  I'd go with a viable brand, no matter how good the orphaned rig.  

Corporate policy be darned!  I won't buy from a company that plays those kind of game.  (IMHO, but that's where my money won't go!)
KE4RWS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2003, 05:29:20 AM »

In terms of currently produced handhelds & mobile amateur radio's capable of cross band repeat, here's a short list:

MOBILE/BASE:
* Kenwood TM-V7A (good price, good x-band)
* Kenwood TM-D700A (terrible x-band audio)
* Kenwood TM-742A (very expensive, good x-band))
* Kenwood TM-642A (very expensive, good x-band)
* Kenwood TS-2000 (VERY expensive, good x-band)
* Yaesu FT-8900R (great price, good x-band)
* Yaesu FT-847 (very expensive, one-way x-band only)
* Icom IC-2720 (great price, good x-band)
* Alinco DR-605 (great price, good x-band)

HANDHELD:
* Icom IC-W32A (good x-band)

That about does it for currently produced models. I may have left some out but that's all that comes to mind at the moment. There are many previous models that have x-band repeat, and they can all be found on eBay at any given time for various amounts.

Good luck in your search, and have fun with cross band repeat!!

Randy Evans
  KE4RWS
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 08:23:44 AM »

While Yaesu-Vertex won't service Standard radios, Matt Adrian, the service tech who did the repairs for Standard Amateur Radio when they were in business still services these from his home in Michigan and got a good stock of parts from Standard before the split. He is a straight-up guy and VERY reliable.  He's serviced my C588A and C158A and I've been completely satisfied. I don't have his callsign or email here at the office, but I do have a business card at home.  If anyone needs this information, send me an email and I will send it to you.  If there is enough interest I will post it.

Other rigs which work fine in crossband repeat are the yaesu FT5100 and Kenwood TM731A (neither are supported by the manual, but the instructions are available at various radio mod sites.  

The Kenwood TM251A 2 meter radio with UHF receive and the TM451A UHF radio with 2m receive serve as one-way "replexers" either in-band or cross-band.  There is an application note describing this function, go to menu selection 69, and select either RPT for in-band, or CROSS for crossband, set the RX and TX frequencies in the main and sub-bandsm and turn the function on.  When set for in-band repeat the DVR records the last 16 seconds and retransmits it.  When set in cross-band replex, it takes the RX audio and simultaneously retransmits it on the selected crossband frequency.

KD3V

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 03:02:26 AM »

http://www.aesham.com/compare/comp_multi_mob.html

YO3FBC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 05:42:06 AM »

Also x-band portables:
Yaesu FT 530 A great radio for portable and even for mobile rig. Can put out around 7W at 14,4 V!

Alinco G-5 is another great portable rig with x-band!

73!
AB5PJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 11:40:22 PM »

I would like the information to get a Standard C558A repaired. I also need a owners manual. If he dosen't have one I would pay you for a copy of yours. Let me know and Thanks!.

William Scarlett (AB5PJ)
 willscar@alltel.net
 204-B Waterwell Road
 Crossett, AR  71635
KB8JVK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 12:13:50 PM »

I will echo the Icom W32--great little handheld.  Also, if you can locate a Yaesu FT-8100R, it works great also.  I have both of these radios and use them for crossband all the time.
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 10:29:43 PM »

Check out the FT-8800R. This is a dual band mobile with 50 / 35 watts output. I am considering purchasing one.
KC7BGV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 07:34:27 PM »

yeah i would like matt adrians number for c558 repair?
K0HMO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 10:10:44 PM »

sorry for the bother...can you tell me how to get the
kenwood tm-7 to crossband ?  I have given up.
As your message says...the book is useless

thanks

dick, K0HMO
K0HMO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 10:12:23 PM »

if the last message does not have the email...it
is rdrew@eosinc.com

tnx agn

dick, k0hmo
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print