Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom T2, W32 programming cable does not work with  (Read 1572 times)
KF6IIU

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2002, 07:06:39 PM »

It looks like the Icom OPC-478 cable does not work with the USB serial port adapter I bought. The OPC 478 is dependent on RTS/CTS hardware handshaking to toggle back and forth between RX and TX on the serial line (RTS and CTS is tied together internally in the cable and the signal level is used to switch the signal in the line from the radio back and forth between RXD and TXD on the DB9 port.)

The adapter is an Iogear UC-232A USB to serial adapter. It does not appear to be driving RTS/CTS or DSR/DTR for that matter.

Has anyone gotten any of these devices to work with the Icom T2 - W32 programmer SW and OPC-478 cable?

AB0TJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 12:20:03 PM »

If I remember right, most USB to Serial adaptors do not drive RTS/CTS/CD. Only RXD and TXD. If your setup allows it, maybe you can take something off of one of your computer's serial ports that don't require the handshaking lines and use the USB adaptor for that instead and the real serial port for the OPC cable.

73 and hope this helps
Alex AB0TJ
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 02:10:20 PM »

Yes, it looks like there is 9V present continuously on Pin 4. I think I can tie this pin to RTS/CTS, which are tied together internally in the Icom adapter and then fed through a 150 ohm resistor across a zener to serve as a voltage source. It'll be a while before I can test this out.

The UC-232A vendor claims the device supports all hardware pins. I can't say for sure without a protocol analyzer but it looks like this may not be the case, although I can see data appear in Hyperterm when I connect the Icom and set it up to Clone data out.

I'm getting a new Bearcat scanner with RS232 programming next week, I think it has a 3-line connection and is not dependent on TTL to RS232 voltage conversions. We'll see if that works too...
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 02:41:15 PM »

The word from RT Systems support is that this software does not work with most USB adapters. They have found one USB adapter that works with their software and are selling it. Dunno why they haven't fixed their software.

The particular adapter I have, Iogear UC-232A, works OK with other applications once I get booted but my system has been crashing a lot since I installed it. I will probably return it for a refund if I can. My PC is a Compaq Presario 17XL360, running ME. Both the Compaq laptop and the OS are total crap, so you may have better luck with other setups.
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 03:55:28 PM »

I am happy to report that the Icom T2A programming software mostly works under Linux/Wine. OS is RedHat 7.3,  the wine RPM shipped with this distribution, wine-20020327-1, and a Shuttle KT-266A motherboard. The OPC cable is plugged into serial port 2 on the motherboard.

The program successully installed in /usr/share/wine-c/Icom/T2A and runs by cd-ing to this directory and typing "./WCST2A.EXE". The program was able  to download and upload from the radio, save a disk file to the hard drive, but it bombed off when I tried to save the data to the floppy.

Better than nothing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: