Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood D700A Croos Band Repeat// CW ID'er  (Read 530 times)
KB3MMX

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2006, 04:38:07 AM »

Has anoyone here had experience with the Comm-Spec CW ID'er kit on a D700 for id'ing the cross band repeat automatically?

I am also open to any other ideas on how to automatically ID the cross band station as well..

I'm suprised that Kenwood and other Manufacturers offer radios that do this but with no good built in way to ID the station......after all, using the cross band repeat usally means you're not at the vehicle or location of the CBR site to manually ID yourself...
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 08:50:08 AM »

This sounds like a great place for a PIC based ID'er similar to the TinyTrak III.  

Like the TinyTrak, you could connect to the speaker jack of the 700 to determine whether the squelch is open (audio present at a preset level).  

The CW ID audio would drive the mike input of the 700 and use the PTT line to key.  Of course, you would have to make sure that the CTRL is active on the output band to key that transmitter.

You could use the PIC internal timer to send the ID at, let's say, nine minute intervals.  The CW ID would be inhibited if the squelch was open.  If the squelch remains open longer than one minute past the trigger point (a total of ten minutes), the CW ID would arbitrarily be sent and override the repeated audio signal.

As is done with the TinyTrak modem audio tones, the CW tones can be generated using software timing loops within the PIC.  

The PIC could be programmed with the ID string using a serial port connection.

You might even be able to power it from the 8VDC line on the Mic jack.
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:02:14 PM »

As a side note, with some radios operating in cross-band mode, as the radio is doing the cross-band transmission, the mic is open. As a result you could send the CW via the audio mic line, and it would be transmitted with the retransmiteed audio, and not replacing it.

I do not know if the D700A radio does this. In reading the documentation on my Yaesu FT-5100, it does.

I seem to recall someone noting in another thread that they installed a CW id'er into a kenwood radio using an internal interface, similar to the TSU CTCSS chip interface.

Looking through the history here, Mark K8MHZ notes that his Kenwood TM-V7A has a way to id every 10 min. I presume it is built into the programming then, so there may be a similar feature already within the D700A, though I don't know.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 07:58:30 AM »

I have found out that the Mic is not functional when the cross band is on.
 I will add that Kenwood DID NOT offer ANY customer support or seem to care about putting a CW id'er on the rig.
 I was Quite disappointed with Kenwoods response.

I am now thinking of just outfitting a cheap UHF HT with the CWID device and letting it run while the CBRPT is on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: