Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT7800R power drop? SWR?  (Read 305 times)
W1YB

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:12:36 AM »

I have a brand new 7800R and a brand new J-Pole that claims an SWR of 1.1 at worst.  I have been told recently that I sound good initially and then my signal drops.  If this was HF (I'm VERY new to VHF/UHF/repeater stuff)  I'd swear it was an SWR roll-back.  The coax is good quality and also brand new.

Any suggestions?  I know I need to borrow an antenna analyzer.  Anything will be tried!

Thanks!

73 DE W1YB
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »

What kind of power supply? Are you getting enough voltage/amperage at the rig?

I also suggest, have someone toss an SWR meter on the thing or even check for shorts in the coax.

Dan S
KO1D
W1YB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:07:37 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Dan!

I have a brand new 40 amp switching PS - a Diamond, I think it is. The rig reads 13.8 dc when it comes on.  Could the PS have any other impact?   I'll check the coax as well although it is also brand new.

Thanks for the feedback!

J
W1YB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 12:18:44 PM »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply!  
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 03:18:20 PM »

<< I have a brand new 7800R and a brand new J-Pole that claims an SWR of 1.1 at worst.>>

How can the SWR be better than 1:1? FWIW, I don't think any J-Pole is that good.

(1) Have you tried a different antenna? Perhaps the quality of the antenna isn't as good as the manufacturer claims.

(2) Have you connected the rig to a dummy load and checked to see if the power is actually dropping? On the air reports are notoriously subjective and often have no relationship to reality.

(3) are these reports coming from simplex contacts or are they through repeater contacts?

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: