Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-7R: Battery Life and Weather Alert  (Read 2574 times)
KC2OZU

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:45:02 PM »

Hi,

I have two questions regarding my VX-7R:

1) I know that the display can show battery voltage, and I have mine set to do that. Does anyone know how the voltage compares to percentage of workable charge and to transmit power? What is the minimum voltage that the radio will function (Rx only) on? How about Tx?

2) How does the weather alert work? I searched the forum and found that you have to be scanning the weather bands for it to work? I rarely use my sub VFO, can I set the sub VFO somehow so that the weather alert will work and I can still work my main channel?

Jason
KC2OZU
K5TVM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »

Both excellent questions!!  I wish someone would answer them!! Undecided
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

I think yaesu could have done a better job on the battery indicator.

The VX-7R can be set to monitor the weather band and alert you if the weather service sends out an alert with the 1050 hz tone. When you have the alert feature activated, you dont hear any audio on a weather frequency until that tone has been sent. The weather alert only works when you are scanning the weather freqs on the main band. This is one of the nice features of the Dual Receive ability of the VX-7R.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »

For what it's worth I just discovered last night that the voltage indicator on my 10 year old VX 5-r is really inaccurate, showing 1+ volts low on receive and 2-3 volts low on transmit when attached to an outboard power supply (3 AMP supply and also a large battery). I have not tested it on internal batteries.

Make sure it's right before you try to figure out how to use it for battery life measurements.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »

It just might be the case that your 5 is showing an INTERNAL voltage, after a voltage regulation circuit, or perhaps even a current dropping resistor, since the voltage drop indicated changes when Transmitting. 

Check the schematic to see if that may be the case. 

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »

Hello.

I discovered that the VX-7r provides an aggregate of the internal voltage and external voltage, not exactly useful.
But, it can be recalibrated, and one can select what to measure, be it internal, external, or the average of both as is the default.
Before you change ANYTHING! write down EVERY setting!
Then go to the service menu and carefully scroll through all the options, again, write EVERY setting down.
Once you are totally sure you know what everything means, and have it all written down, proceed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: