Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyper Memory - Yaesu owners  (Read 934 times)
KC2QPR

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:39:14 AM »

Folks,

I did a search and could not find much about this.  I just bought the Yaesu FT-7800R, and I have read the manual section several times that relates to hyper memories.

Can someone shed some light on what this feature is?  It must be useful since they have dedicated several one touch buttons on the front of the rig.

Does it store everything that is in memory to some higher level bank?  Why would I want this, and why would I need to change between five configurations?

Thanks,
Marc
KC2QPR
KE5EMA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:53:04 PM »

This is a very useful feature, and I had the same confusion. The manual is unclear, really.

Hypermemory - is not another set of memories, it's better thought of as a bookmark, since it actually POINTS to memories (setup in banks). You kind of have to use Memory Banks to make Hypermemories useful.

The banks, for instance aren't memories either, as each memory can show up in one or more banks.

On an AM/FM broadcast radio, the buttons switch one or two settings (Set AM or FM + a station frequency).
Hypermemories set the entire radio's current settings: which bank is current, which Home frequencies, which band-edge memeories, etc. all at once.

I highly recommend the use of PC software to manage the memories of these (FT-7800, 8800, 8900). There are too many to keep up with and it helps you visualize and more easily setup the banks and hypermemories. I use G4HFQ's software and he has a version for the 7800: http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ftb7800.htm

As to HOW to use them - if you travel, you can setup Hyper1 for City 1's repeaters, Hyper2 for City 2, etc.

I have an FT-8800 and I use one for local VHF/UHF repeaters, another for APRS + VHF repeaters, one for simplex (VHF/UHF), and one for 'drive-time', where one side of the radio is set to VHF repeaters, the other to just scan traffic reporter frequencies (in DFW area these are just above 450mhz).

Mike Yancey
KE5EMA
Dallas, Texas
N4CDB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 11:13:36 AM »

With my 8800 I use them somewhat like Mike.

Hyper1 is for the two repeaters I listen to most.
2/3 are for crossbanding our primary and backup ARES repeaters.
4 is IRLP and primary.
5 is primary and a new ARES repeater in another county.
6 is IRLP for crossband.
AE0Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »

There is a Yahoo group dedicated to the 7800R, called FT-7800R.  If you join, you can review the message archives.  There has been extensive discussion of how to make use of all the memory features.

Howard AE0Z
1 Peter 4:10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: