Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-60 - DC Power Plug (RadioShack vs Yaesu)  (Read 1136 times)
K5RFF

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:39:12 AM »

I tried to use a RadioShack DC plug (yellow color) to connect a 12 V battery as DC power source to the FT-60.  The FT-60 receives no power.

Is the RadioShack DC plug really different from the Yaseu DC Cable/Plug (Part E-DC-6)?

The RadioShack DC plug looks just like the DC plug on the Yaesu AC recharging device (both DC plugs appear to have the same shape, length, yellow color, etc.).

I would appreciate any explanation as to why the RadioShack DC plug does not work.  

I suppose I should buy the official Yaesu Part E-DC-6 "DC Cable, Plug, and Wire Only" for the purpose of running the FT-60 from a decent size battery source.

Thanks.
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »

Are you sure they are the same? There are a bunch of different plugs that have the same outer diameter, but different inside diameter. Sounds like the one you have has a center hole that is too big. Radio shack has a plug selection thing that has a bunch of plugs you can test fit. Try going down a size.

Mike
AI4NS
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »

I would certainly check the polarity first with a DVM, VOM or other voltmeter. Just pluging it in to see if it will or will not work might cause all sorts of grief!
VE3TLT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 08:36:22 AM »

check the yellow cap on the connector!! i had the same problem.. seems the cap breaks, and small amounts of plastic catch on the tiny switch in side the radio and the power will not pass past the switch !!!!!

somthing to do with charging and running from 12 volts... the switch is in side the radio on the side of the connector hole.. had to clean mine out and it took three hours  due to the fact its very small......Good luck...

Trevor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: