Motorola MT1000

(1/2) > >>

Brant Harms:
I have a Motorola MT 1000 UHF.  While programing it it went dead and can no longer get it to power up or take a program.  does any one have an idea or is it dead in the water.
Thanks a million

JR Byford:
I would check here, if it has anything to do with Motorolas this site should have your answer.

Jim
K5CQB

Keith Dougherty:
I also have recently looked into using a Motorola Commercial HT and programming it for ham use. I was specifically looking into the Saber line of handheld and one thing I came across something regarding programming them. Supposedly they need to be programmed with a very old computer (like pentium and prior) depending on which version of the RSS you were using. There is a very large warning on the article at http://repeaterbuilder.com that if you use a new computer it will corrupt the prom and turn your radio into a doorstop. There is rumor around the internet (i know) that if you saved your original program you may at least be able to revert to it to get the radio fuctional again.

Randy Evans:
Well, if your MT1000 won't even power up then there's likely not much you can do for it. Unless it can at least power up to some degree there's no way to program even an old codeplug into it.

As for using other Motorola models for amateur radio (such as the Saber), they work great for this purpose. I use Jedi series portables for my amateur radio needs and they are perfect for this purpose because they're high-quality, well built radio's that don't break just because they drop 3 feet onto the ground. Jedi series portables include the HT1000, JT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, MTX8000 & MTX9000 portables. I own a couple HT1000's (VHF & UHF), and a couple MTX9000's for 900 amateur use, or 33cm. Accessories for this series are inexpensive yet very high-quality items to have. Thebbatteries are far superior to anything made by amateur radio manufacturers and the speaker/mic's are second to none and are available in either the standard speaker/mic, or in a public-safety version that includes an antenna connector on top of the shoulder mic for more efficient operation. Rapid chargers and high-quality carrying cases are just a few of the many accessories one can buy for most commercially made portable radio setups. And the belt clips on these radio's . . . forget about it. nothing can compare!!

There's even a neat little device that allows you to pop your radio into this thing that adapts your portable radio into a mobile radio (for some models). The one made for my portables is called an MTVA, or Mobile Transceiver Vehicular Adapter. Motorola used to call them the Convert-A-Com. Basically you place your portable into this device and it attaches an externally mounted antenna and power to your portable radio, hooks it up to a nice external speaker and mobile microphone for full mobile benefits to you. You can even attach an RF amplifier if you choose to increase the RF output of your portable to that of a much higher output like a regular mobile radio has.

Yes indeed, certain commercial radio's work wonderfully for amateur radio purposes.

As someone already mentioned, you MUST use an older PC to program these models, as you will ruin your radio if you use faster type PC's to program your radio. I use a very old, very slow Pentium class PC to do my programming and it works fine. I actually use a 200 MHz PII and it works perfectly. I'm not sure how much faster you could go but that's about the limit I would try. Additionally, I use Windows 98 and boot into DOS when programming anything Motorola. Do NOT make the mistake of opening a DOS window within Windows, as this is not the same thing as running straight DOS. Win98 has an option under the shutdown process where you can restart in DOS, which is the option you should take when programming your older Motorola stuff (or you can simply have your PC boot into DOS like I do, as this particular PC is ONLY used for programming my Motorola stuff). One other thing to remember is to use a PC that has a real serial port and NOT a USB port with one of those USB-to-Serial adapters. Don't EVER use this kind of device while trying to program your older Motorola radio! Make certain your PC has a good old fashioned serial port on it.

No matter the case, Many Motorola models make excellent ham radio's and can be found quite cheap most of the time. I also use the Maxtrac, which also makes a great amateur radio. I have one in UHF (40-watt 32 channel), and one in 900 MHz (30-watt 16 channel). These sound great on the air too, and can be found for very reasonable cost. I highly recommend many Motorola models for ham radio use. The only caveat I can state is to make certain you can either program the model(s) in question yourself or have them programmed either free or next to free. Many people buy commercial type radio systems because they're such a great deal only to learn they now have to find someone who can program them. The programming materials can now be found quite cheap, unlike several years ago where there wasn't much in the way of aftermarket programming tools available to the general public. That's all changed considerably nowadays.

Randy Evans
KE4RWS

Jack Spence:
Best bet for programming is to boot from a DOS 6 floppy.  You can put Dos and the older RSS programs on one 720 disk quite easily.  I use an old 10 mhz laptop for my HT 600.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page