Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TH-F6a PC connection  (Read 2231 times)
W2DI

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2001, 01:51:58 PM »

Hello all. Just purchase a TH-F6a - real nice radio. The PC interface cables are not available at this time and I don't know when they will be. Anyone know how to make the connection and home-brew the cable?
The manual says the cable connects to the serial (com) port of the PC through a 'level converter.'
From the diagram in the manual, the center ring on the 2.5mm plug goes to RXD, and the ground sleeve goes to ground.
On the 3.5mm plug, the ground sleeve goes to TXD.
This doesn't mean much to me, but hopefully someone might have the scoop.
Thanks in advance and 73!!
Joe, W2DI
KD4EYL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2001, 08:25:41 PM »

Actually, the F6A uses the Kenwood PG-4P cable, originally specified for the Th-G71A.  These cables have been sold for as long as the G71 (several years?) and should be readily available.  I have one and it works fine with the F6A and the free Kenwood software.
KD4EYL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2001, 08:27:35 PM »

....and by the way, the "level converter", if there is one, must be built in to the D connector on the computer end of the cable.
W2DI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2001, 10:24:27 AM »

Thanks John.
I suppose there has been a run on these recently with sales of the TH-F6a. They seem to be back-ordered everywhere.
I have programmed the HT manually, but like the idea of back-up and changing the info via a PC.
73. Joe
N9AI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2001, 03:38:40 PM »

The "level converter" is indeed built into the connector, just as it is in the Icom T81A cable. This converts RS232 level data from the PC into TTL level data for the HT and vice versa. Hence the name "level converter."

If you're resourceful and handy with a soldering iron, you could search the net using the keywords "icom opc 478" for info on these cables and build one. If you less adventuresome, you could buy an Icom or Yaesu cable and modify it for use with the Kenwood. I have info regarding the pinouts of the Icom cable as well as a schematic, if you need it.

Good Luck and 73,
Scott, N9AI
n9ai@arrl.net

W2DI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2001, 09:34:37 AM »

Thanks very much Scott. I'm going to do a search and see what I can find. If not, I'll send you an e-mail.
I certainly appreciate all the help.
73, Joe W2DI
K4RSH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2002, 11:17:00 PM »

The cables are now available from most dealers, AES/HRO, etc.  They were on backorder from Kenwood but should be no problem to purchase.  Go buy the Th-f6a, you'll love it overall.
KE4PMJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2002, 01:33:55 PM »

OK, I'll take the schematic.  I have an Icom cable for the R2, can I modify this so I can use it on the F6A?

BTW, it is an awesome little radio.

Brian Cathcart
KE4PMJ
ke4pmj@qsl.net
KD7PRP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2002, 09:22:27 PM »

For any other Mac users with the TH-F6A, here is a connection that amazed me when it worked.

I have the PG-4P plugged into a 25-pin to 9-pin adapter that is plugged into a USB-to-serial adapter. I plugged this into my PowerBook G4 running Win2k under Virtual PC 5 under OS X. The Kenwood software runs and talks to the PG-4P on COM3.

Pretty durn cool!

Harry Mahoney
KD7PRP
WB4KIE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2003, 12:31:09 PM »

I just received my Kenwood PG-4P interface cable to use with my Th F6a handheld.  I am using a DB25 to DB9 adapter and a laptop PC running the NT operating system.  So far I have not been able to get the laptop to communicate with the PC.  I noticed that Kenwood does not specify what baud rate the PC should be set to nor do they specify the number of bits, etc.  Does this have to be set in the PC or is the Kenwood supplied software supposed to set this automatically?  Does the software assume a certain Com Port?  Has anyone had trouble with using this set up with NT?

In the event I can get the configuration working, I would like to explore what other commands are available  if I wanted to write my own software.  

Bottom line....what am I doing wrong?Huh?

WB4KIE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2003, 06:47:59 PM »

UPDATE to last message!

I installed the software on a WIN 95 machine and it runs great.  It must not like NT.  Now that that is settled, does anyone have the command list (software protocol) that the software uses to communicate with the radio?  

Thanks..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: