Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Mics Interchangeable?  (Read 501 times)
KF6PHV

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »

Especially within the Yaesu family?  I have a FT 90 in the mobile that I like due to its simplicity and ease of operation.  I have a FT 7800 in the house as a base.  The base hase a MN48 mic and the 90 has a MH36.  They both look alike.  The FT90 's mic has the outside cover that is splitting and unraveling, exposing the interior wires.  I could just put electrical tape on it and cover it, or I could exchange mics to see if the 7800 mic works on the 90.  If it did, then I would order another mic for the 90, since the 90 is no longer made.  I would hate to put a mic on, key it up and smoke something, so, are these mics interchangeable?

TANKS
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 03:17:56 AM »

You can interchange almost any mike onto any rig, as long as you match up the correct mike element and the wiring.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 07:55:26 AM »

Possibly excepting some mics intended for older Icom radios to newer Icom & to non-Icom radios, due to lower gain in the mic input of the older Icom rigs. (Dates/models anyone?)
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:38:20 AM »

Contrary to popular belief, not all mics are interchangeable.  Icom radios typically require special (electret) elements, and provide phantom power on the aidio line; incorrectly connecting an improper mic type can damage the mic, the radio, or both.
    But as to Yaesu, you should check the individual manuals, to ensure the connectors are exactly the same.  (They most likely are, but verify to be sure.)
    Do either mics have additional functions besides PTT?
    If one or the other has a keypad or other function buttons, then interchangebility may be more complicated.
    A call/e-mail to Yaesu should answer your question definitively.

But I don't understand the problem you describe with the one microphone.  Is it the cable that is damaged?  If so, that should be relatively simple to repair or replace.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »

I agree, replacement mic cable is an easy solution here.  You don't have to order from Yaesu, you just need to know the number of conductors and if they are all shielded together or if the mic audio line is separately shielded.  There are generic replacements available, both coiled and straight.  

KE3WD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: